Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

He won't beat the Mongolian. However, he deserves praise for winning this fight and being our third boxer to progress into the next round.

+1 Well done to Nevin on winning that bout but I was a little worried after watching it. Having seen the Mongolian I'm even more worried. It will take an exceptional performance for Nevin to beat him, far beyond what Joyce was able to do against Gyula Kate.

That Mexican looks a very tasty prospect though, not in the amateurs his style will never suit it. But for a 17 year old he's an absolute monster !
    Very aggressive, good body punching and what looks like some very serious power too. The fact that he's made an Olympics(something most great Mexican fighters don't achieve) indicates he has got quite a bit of boxing skill too and I think he was very unlucky to be matched with such a tough opponent early on. Valdez will be one to watch.

So that's all of our boxers into the last 16 then, things are about to get much tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Fair play to Nevin alright. As the great Stan would say 'a win is a win if you win it'. And winning a fight representing your country in the Olympic games is something he'll have forever...though hopefully he can cause an upset or at least put up another good show against the Mongolian.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Didn't get to see the bout, but heard he did well, and was very elusive. So he meets a talented Mongolian next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

walshb wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the bout, but heard he did well, and was very elusive. So he meets a talented Mongolian next?

yip, I cant see him getting past the Mongol warrior either - however if he doesnt I do see him getting to the semis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just to confirm the last 16 fights and times. Going waway to Sweden, probably won't get to catch the Thursday and Friday flights.

Thursday: (14/8)
    Egan v Bahram Muzaffer (Turkey) 9.15am
    Joyce v (Manuel Félix Díaz (Dominican Republic) 1pm

Friday: (15/8)
    Nevin v Badar-Ungan Enkhbat (Mongolia) 1.45pm

Saturday: (16/8)
    Darren Sutherland v Nabil Kassel (Algeria) 8.45am
    Paddy Barnes v Jose Luis Meza (Ecuador) 12pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

yip, I cant see him getting past the Mongol warrior either - however if he doesnt I do see him getting to the semis

Although i think the mongolian is very good, the mexican was just too easy to hit, its hard to judge the mongolian on that fight, although been a world silver medalist would make you feel that nevin is up against it..

fingers crossed..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Nevin did well against an equally slippery opponent. That's what made it such a messy affair.

While I also think the Mongolian will be a step too far, I agree with Paul that the Mexican's style would make a good counter-puncher look good. However, the Mongolian looks strong, big-for-the-weight and very smart. Just hope Nevin's elusiveness can frustrate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just wondering if BBC made a mistake in their guide saying that body shots count in the scores?

amacachi wrote: »
    Just wondering if BBC made a mistake in their guide saying that body shots count in the scores?

They should score, but as long as I'm watching amateur boxing they rarely do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Dodge wrote: »
    They should score, but as long as I'm watching amateur boxing they rarely do

why dont they?

• Advertisement

Body shots do count, but for some strange reason they rarely are scored.

I watched the Ghanian beat the Filipino in the 48 kg division earlier and the Filipino landed 3 body shots in quick succession, which all landed cleanly, yet he received no score. Absolute scandalous.

Some fine 48kg fighters. The American is brilliant and the Cuban aint too bad either. Also, the European champion from Russia lost to a very good Ukranian in a close and hard fought contest. The Russian landed a hell of a lot more shots than he was given credit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭dbrady01

is kenny boxing at 8.15 or 9.15 irish time tomorrow

08:15 Irish time Tomorrow.

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/BX.shtml

The complete Olympic schedule

Body shots do count, but for some strange reason they rarely are scored.

I watched the Ghanian beat the Filipino in the 48 kg division earlier and the Filipino landed 3 body shots in quick succession, which all landed cleanly, yet he received no score. Absolute scandalous.

Some fine 48kg fighters. The American is brilliant and the Cuban aint too bad either. Also, the European champion from Russia lost to a very good Ukranian in a close and hard fought contest. The Russian landed a hell of a lot more shots than he was given credit for.

Yeah the 48kg division is strong imo - luckily Paddy is at the top of the top half of the draw which I consider to be the weakest. Thoughts?

Yes, his draw doesn't look too bad. He fights an Ecuador opponent in his first fight and if he wins that he fights in the QF stage against either a Pole or a Namibian. From then on I think it's a massive ask for him to beat the China man in the semis. I do believe that is the route for Paddy to the Final! A bronze may be his limit at best.

Yes, his draw doesn't look too bad. He fights an Ecuador opponent in his first fight and if he wins that he fights in the QF stage against either a Pole or a Namibian. From then on I think it's a massive ask for him to beat the China man in the semis. I do believe that is the route for Paddy to the Final! A bronze may be his limit at best.

yeah he has as good a chance as any of the other four left in the top half to get to the semis - of course you are right it would be a massive talk to beat Zou who beat him relatively easily in the worlds - although I cant remember the score then - any remember?

Here's the full paths to medla for all the Irish lads. For time reasons Ive left out names and just put countries

Light Fly - Barnes
    R16; v Jose Luis Meza (Ecuador). Not much known
    QF v Poland/Namibia. Polish guy won the EU champs in 2007. Namibian won the Commonwealth games (Barnes beaten in QF by Swaziland)

Bantam - Nevin
    R16 v Badar-Ungan Enkhbat (Mongolia) (Silver medallist from Worlds 2007)
    QF v Botswana/Morocco. Morrocan is a 3 time Olympian

Light Welter - Joyce
    R16 v Manuel Félix Díaz (Domincan Republic) - 2 time Olympian. Recently moved from Lilghtweight
    QF v Romania/Iran. Romanian won Bronze in Athens, Gold in 2007 EU (beating Kate (Hun) in Semis), Bronze in 2006 Euros (only losing to eventual Champ). Iranian beat Romanian in World champs…

Middleweight - Sutherland
    R16 v Nabil Kassel (Algeria). Late qualifier (like Darren)
    QF v Venezuala/Dominican Republic. Venezuala silver medallist in 2007 worlds (beating darren in r16). Dominican is former Light heavy.

Light Heavy - Egan
    R16 v Bahram Muzaffer (Turkey) Won gold at 2006 EU champs (Egan bronze). Silver at 2007 EU (Egan Gold). When Egan won Gold in 2008, another guy fought for Turkey. He lost to Armenian in first round of 2007 Worlds. Late replacement for Ukranian drug cheat.
    QFv Ghana/Brazil. Brazilian in 2nd olympics. Beat US boxer to get here. Ghananian won African champs at welter (!) in 2007.

As you can see, it won't be easy for any of them, and all 5 have tough, tough fights in the next round, never mind any after that.

BTW in the semi's if they did get through to semis Only Egan wouldn't be seeded to meet gold medal favourite

The score I think was 19-7

Dodge wrote: »
    Here's the full paths to medla for all the Irish lads. For time reasons Ive left out names and just put countries

Light Fly - Barnes
    R16; v Jose Luis Meza (Ecuador). Not much known
    QF v Poland/Namibia. Polish guy won the EU champs in 2007. Namibian won the Commonwealth games (Barnes beaten in QF by Swaziland)

Bantam - Nevin
    R16 v Badar-Ungan Enkhbat (Mongolia) (Silver medallist from Worlds 2007)
    QF v Botswana/Morocco. Morrocan is a 3 time Olympian

Light Welter - Joyce
    R16 v Manuel Félix Díaz (Domincan Republic) - 2 time Olympian. Recently moved from Lilghtweight
    QF v Romania/Iran. Romanian won Bronze in Athens, Gold in 2007 EU (beating Kate (Hun) in Semis), Bronze in 2006 Euros (only losing to eventual Champ). Iranian beat Romanian in World champs…

Middleweight - Sutherland
    R16 v Nabil Kassel (Algeria). Late qualifier (like Darren)
    QF v Venezuala/Dominican Republic. Venezuala silver medallist in 2007 worlds (beating darren in r16). Dominican is former Light heavy.

Light Heavy - Egan
    R16 v Bahram Muzaffer (Turkey) Won gold at 2006 EU champs (Egan bronze). Silver at 2007 EU (Egan Gold). When Egan won Gold in 2008, another guy fought for Turkey. He lost to Armenian in first round of 2007 Worlds. Late replacement for Ukranian drug cheat.
    QFv Ghana/Brazil. Brazilian in 2nd olympics. Beat US boxer to get here. Ghananian won African champs at welter (!) in 2007.

As you can see, it won't be easy for any of them, and all 5 have tough, tough fights in the next round, never mind any after that.

BTW in the semi's if they did get through to semis Only Egan wouldn't be seeded to meet gold medal favourite

That's put it into perspective hasn't it?

Tough ask for all to medal looking at these stats!

You mention seeded in the semi's?

I thought the whole tournament was OPEN and no seeding whatsoever?

That's put it into perspective hasn't it?

Tough ask for all to medal looking at these stats!

looking at the is reads as though Barnes has the "easiest" ride along with Egan.

• Advertisement

Barnes does look like the easiest ride alright, however, you don't win the Commonwealth's if you aren't quality.

Like I have said so many times, there are no easy bouts in the Olympics and the further you progress the damn harder it gets!

Well, what about this seeding you talk of?

Poor choice of word. I meant that if the Irish lads win and the rest of the bouts all go to form, they'll meet the favourites for Gold in the semis. Egan would fight (more than likely) Tony Jeffries of England or the Hungarian. Both of which he has beaten before. I'm very nervous about the fight with the Turkish guy tomorrow.

Obviously its not totally open, as the draw has already been made

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

gosh to think Hernandez(?) of Cuba is only there because another boxer defected. He showed some lovely handspeed and weaving in his bout today. There were some other cracking bouts today too - like the bout between the Ukranian and the Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

ok lads, enough of the analysing of opponents for now, lets cut to the chase, how many medals would people expect now at this stage, its a superb return that we still have all 5 going through to the next stage (albiet 2 byes thrown in for good measure), and fair enough the level steps up a notch but we have seen some BIG upsets so far and our own lads have been exemplary so far, Im gonna make a bold prediction that one of our lads get as far as a finals but I cant really say which one, on paper kenny looks to have it within his grasp but i feel that under pressure he could crack, whereas JJJ & Nevin seem to have tough routes but are ultra confident and not afraid of defeat with nothing really to loos (well thats likely to be the mentality), itll be interesting to see how Sutherland & barnes fair out.

I think two of our boxers may medal- one winning silver the other bronze- based on the draw he's got.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Brilluant display by Kenny Egan, 10-2.

He really looked very "professional", great defence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Kenny's next bout is next Tuesday v Silva (Brazil)

No time as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Very good performance from Egan.
    Thought he boxed well within himself and having seen clips of the Brazilian, I firmly believe Kenny will beat him.

• Advertisement

It was a confident performance as everyone has said. I think it will spur on the rest of the lads yet to fight. Egan has a geat chance of getting at least a bronze medal.

Advertisement