Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism: how can you be so sure?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

kelly1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you know very little about saints and the levels of perfection they can reach through God's grace.

You may not like the dreaded word "faith" but it's very pleasing to God. That leaves you in a difficult situation.

How so?
    Dades wrote: »
    I still don't get why the architect behind all matter and time would really need to be 'pleased' by earth people doing stuff for him. I mean, shouldn't a mind like that have something more intellectual to occupy him?

Ya it would almost seem us atheists have more respect for "God" than you kelly1 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

axer wrote: »
    How do you know so much about saints?
    I don't claim to be exceptionally knowledgeable about the saints but I have read several (auto)biographies. They excelled in all the virtues to an amazing degree.
    How do we know faith is pleasing to god?

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please God. For he that cometh to God, must believe that he is, and is a rewarder to them that seek him.

Galatians 3:26 For you are all the children of God by faith, in Christ Jesus

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, for it is the gift of God;

Matthew 9:22 But Jesus turning and seeing her, said: Be of good heart, daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole.
    I still don't get why the architect behind all matter and time would really need to be 'pleased' by earth people doing stuff for him. I mean, shouldn't a mind like that have something more intellectual to occupy him?
    God wants us to do good because it's good for us and because it leads us towards eternal life with God. The good we doesn't actually make God any happier because His own happiness is infinite.

God is pleased with the good we do, not because we have produced good but rather that we have co-operated with His grace. All good comes from God. Doing good in in harmony with God's plan for creation and sin upsets the harmony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I hope that cleared up any concerns, Dades!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dave! wrote: »
    I hope that cleared up any concerns, Dades!
    Strangely, no.

I understand that God is supposed to have this great plan and everything, it just doesn't seem that great at all. At least not for a being responsible for the entire universe. Why doesn't he send a bit less rain to Burma and bit more to the Sudan instead of bothering himself about whether people think he's there or not?

God seems more like someone who has 'user' rather than 'admin' rights to the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I understand that God is supposed to have this great plan and everything, it just doesn't seem that great at all. At least not for a being responsible for the entire universe. Why doesn't he send a bit less rain to Burma and bit more to the Sudan instead of bothering himself about whether people think he's there or not?

God is far too busy monitoring what we do with our genitals to worry about minor details like floods, droughts and earthquakes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pH wrote: »
    God is far too busy monitoring what we do with our genitals to worry about minor details like floods, droughts and earthquakes.
    Too busy? Don't think so -- as far as I can see, he lost interest in this place a long time ago, and outsourced almost everything to his self-appointed reps on earth, save the occasional appearance in a piece of toast or chunk of concrete.

Unfortunately, legitimizing, if not organizing too, the persecution of gay men is much easier than preventing a flood or an earthquake, or sorting out the mess afterward, so it's perhaps understandable why his reps have concentrated their efforts where they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You don't suppose God died and now teh universe is running a muck in his absence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

robindch wrote: »
    Unfortunately, legitimizing, if not organizing too, the persecution of gay men is much easier than preventing a flood or an earthquake, or sorting out the mess afterward, so it's perhaps understandable why his reps have concentrated their efforts where they have.

It's not just gay men he's concerned with, he has convinced his followers (at one time or another) to be obsessed with mutilating their children's genitals, masturbation, homosexuality, contraception, menstruation, celibacy and pre-marital heterosexual sex.

I mean how obsessed about sex do you have to be to argue that protecting women from cervical cancer is bad?

A spokesman for the Catholic Church said: "Our concern would be that this vaccine is seen as giving the green light to promiscuity on the grounds that the vaccine protects young people from developing the virus that is the main cause of cervical cancer."
    http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news/Controversial-Vaccine-Raises-Fury-of-the-Church-13635-1/

It's pathetic, and yet we still get posters in A&A posting the "Oh why do you atheists care about religion tripe".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

kelly1 wrote: »
    I don't claim to be exceptionally knowledgeable about the saints but I have read several (auto)biographies. They excelled in all the virtues to an amazing degree.

Indeed.

You might want to read a biography of Chairman Mao or Stalin ... there virtues made the saints look like prostitutes addicted to crack

Do you believe everything you read Kelly, or just books from Catholic sources?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wicknight wrote: »
    You might want to read a biography of Chairman Mao or Stalin ... there virtues made the saints look like prostitutes addicted to crack
    Not sure if anybody's ever read chairman Mao's Little Red Book? Lots of meaningless prose, random thoughts, pointless stories, self-aggrandizing nonsense, unwarranted assumption, unjustified conclusion, the occasional ringing phrase or good piece of poetry, and of course, the support of a very large number of people who think it's the greatest book ever written because it changed so many people's lives. Any similarity with any other Good Books must be a coincidence :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

pH wrote: »
    and yet we still get posters in A&A posting the "Oh why do you atheists care about religion.

And to which we always reply, "Because their lobbying directly affects my life!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

God seems more like someone who has 'user' rather than 'admin' rights to the universe.

Brilliant! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I am now no longer a Catholic. I received back word today from the bishop. I haven't seen what came in the post yet since I am out of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You should have a read of Richard Dawkin's 'The god delusion' - excellent, logical 'proofs' for the non existence of a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I am now no longer a Catholic.
    I'm sorry to hear that Axer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I am now no longer a Catholic. I received back word today from the bishop. I haven't seen what came in the post yet since I am out of the country.

yay axer! Now you can live the rest of your life free of dogma and shame!

Congratulations!

YAY!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I know you have good reasons axer but I hope the irony of the bishop telling someone theyre no longer a catholic at the persons request is not lost on everyone. Its a bit like a woman getting the doctor to tell her shes no longer a virgin after shes had a few rolls in the haybarn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

eoin5 wrote: »
    I know you have good reasons axer but I hope the irony of the bishop telling someone theyre no longer a catholic at the persons request is not lost on everyone. Its a bit like a woman getting the doctor to tell her shes no longer a virgin after shes had a few rolls in the haybarn :D

Not if the doctor didn't already know that and was treating her as a virgin! Better analogy?

It's making sure they are no longer counting you as a catholic. And proof to busy-bodies who say you are still a catholic cause you were baptised.

Well done Axer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

eoin5 wrote: »
    By receiving word from the bishop I meant that I received word that my official defection has been fully officially recorded and thus I am officially no longer a catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Hi

I'm also an agnostic. There seem to be two kinds of Atheists replying, most of who don't know which category they fall into.

a) People who believe there is no God
    b) People attempting to rationally conclude there is no God.

For those kind of arguments misusing analogies like "there's a lion in my attic" etc, the answer's simple:

"I believe there is no lion in my attic at present but I can verify this by checking".

Or

"It's highly unlikely there is a lion in my attic at present, since there have been no reports of lions in the area, but I can verify this by checking".

Now if someone believes in the scientific method and based on this believes there is no God, I can understand and "get" that - but it's still a belief.

Any rational argument based on available evidence, as far as I can see, can only lead to probabilities, which by definition falls into the area of agnosticism, and not atheism.

Comments welcome :)

• Advertisement

So a non-belief in a three headed, five arsed pink elephant, flying through the sky is a belief?

Regarding the probability assessment. If you knew that it was 99.9999999% certain that you would die if you crossed the road, what would you do?

So a non-belief in a three headed, five arsed pink elephant, flying through the sky is a belief?

It is.

I believe there are no three headed, five arsed pink elephants, flying through the sky.

Regarding the probability assessment. If you knew that it was 99.9999999% certain that you would die if you crossed the road, what would you do?

Decide that the risk of crossing the road isn't worth it. What relevance does this have?

It is.

I believe there are no three headed, five arsed pink elephants, flying through the sky.

Thats equivalent to a belief in god/s then?

Decide that the risk of crossing the road isn't worth it. What relevance does this have?

So you made a firm decision based on the probability that lay before you, even though you were not 100% sure.

Thats equivalent to a belief in god/s then?

Yeah, God, pink elephants, whatever. This is the trouble with using an an analogy to structure your argument rather than clarify it.
    I used the analogy to illustrate the difference between a belief and a rational conclusion and now you're trying to use it to draw equivalence between a five arsed pink elephant and God.

I always had my suspicions about those athiests :D
    So you made a firm decision based on the probability that lay before you, even though you were not 100% sure.

I did. I'm really having problems seeing where you're trying to go with this one.

Yeah, God, pink elephants, whatever. This is the trouble with using an an analogy to structure your argument rather than clarify it.
    I used the analogy to illustrate the difference between a belief and a rational conclusion and now you're trying to use it to draw equivalence between a five arsed pink elephant and God.

I always had my suspicions about those athiests :D

So a belief in god is the same about the non-belief in anything. Thats fine then. I guess I am atheist as well as a-pinkelephantist. Maybe I should put in a forum request.

I did. I'm really having problems seeing where you're trying to go with this one.

Well you said...
    Any rational argument based on available evidence, as far as I can see, can only lead to probabilities, which by definition falls into the area of agnosticism, and not atheism.

I would assert that some people would base their non-belief on probability, and make a firm decision based on that, even though they would admit that no-one can really say for sure. Therefore they would become atheists based on such probabilities, although one could also decide to be agnostic given this scenario.

So a belief in god is the same about the non-belief in anything. Thats fine then.

Oh my good God! You nearly turned me into a believer :D

No, a belief in God is not the same as a non belief in anything.
    Again, I used an analogy to illustrate the difference between a belief and a rational conclusion.

Attempts to build and structure an argument from an analogy will likely result in a fallacy since an analogy is for the purpose of illustration and is unlikely to be logically equivalent to the argument.
    I would assert that some people would base their non-belief on probability and make a firm decision based on that, even though they would admit that no-one can really say for sure.

So some people believe there is no God based on probability.
    These people admit that noone can really say for sure.

I'd agree with that assertion.
    Therefore they would become atheists based on such probabilities, although one could also decide to be agnostic given this scenario.

Okay, so they believe there is no God, and when asked if they can 'say for sure' they drop this belief.

Well, that's up to them I guess...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi

I'm also an agnostic. There seem to be two kinds of Atheists replying, most of who don't know which category they fall into.

a) People who believe there is no God
    b) People attempting to rationally conclude there is no God.
    You left out

c) "Practical Atheists" who realise it is impossible to disprove god, but realise there is nothing to be gained by entertaining philosophical guff such as "we can't know that there isn't a five arsed pink flying elephant, so I must conclude it is only a belief I have".

That kind of talk is strictly for agnostics. ;)

You left out

c) "Practical Atheists" who realise it is impossible to disprove god, but realise there is nothing to be gained by entertaining philosophical guff such as "we can't know that there isn't a five arsed pink flying elephant, so I must conclude it is only a belief I have".

That kind of talk is strictly for agnostics. ;)

Oh come on, where would we all be if it weren't for the five arsed pink elephants? There'd probably be a load of meaningless wars and inquisitions and stonings and... :D

That's really interesting, I hadn't heard the term "practical atheist" before or the reasoning behind it, thanks :)

Okay, so they believe there is no God, and when asked if they can 'say for sure' they drop this belief.

Right, but when the chips are down, neither you nor I would 'cross the road'. Did you declare crossing the road to be unknowable, or did you make a decision based on the evidence. That is all that matters. We make decisions every day based on probabilities, do we sit on the fence each time and say that it is unknowable, or do we make a firm decision? People need to make decisions in life, fence-sitting is both a useless and imaginary activity.

IMO

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So some people believe there is no God based on probability.
    These people admit that noone can really say for sure.

I'd agree with that assertion.

Shenanigans.

We can't know anything for sure, so 'atheism' is a technically incorrect term, but it's a practical term.

You seem to be trying to convince us all that we really think that there IS a god, subconsciously.

Do you believe in godzilla? No? But you don't know there's no godzilla, so you're an ag-godzilla-stic.

What about Zeus, do you believe in Zeus? No? But... surely you're open to the possibility. You're an ag-zeus-stic.

If you drop an apple, do you think it will travel towards the ground or towards the sky? The ground? But you don't know for sure... Let's call you an ag-[insert relevent word here]-stic.

Do you believe we're in the Matrix? But you can't know for sure.........

If you're okay with me calling you an ag-godzilla-stic (I'll try to think of a catchier term, don't worry) then I'm an agnostic.

Advertisement