Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism: how can you be so sure?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Right, but when the chips are down, neither you nor I would 'cross the road'. That is all that matters. We make decisions every day based on probabilities, do we sit on the fence each time and say that it is unknowable, or do we make a firm decision? People need to make decisions in life, fence-sitting is both a useless and imaginary activity.

IMO

:P

Okay, I can see where you're coming from in light of my new-thing-learned-today. I guess not everyone regards the God question as that important, personally I wouldn't regard it as important enough to require a firm decision. A lot theists and atheists defend their viewpoint with some vigour and I'm always interested to see how they arrived at it to begin with.

But of course agnosticsm is really the only rational conclusion you can come to on the matter :D:D:D

Only joking! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

But of course agnosticsm is really the only rational conclusion you can come to on the matter

I actually agree with this, but only because the question really isn't one that requires a definite answer*. However, if you had to make a decision for some reason, what would it be?

*EDIT: Except for me, that is. I simply could not deal with the maybe, because I would be concerned with 'what happens after you die'. After very careful consideration, I came to the conclusion that the existence of a god/s and afterlife are highly improbable and hence decided that I was an atheist. After a few depressing years of knowing that my life would end, I actually came out of it feeling very positive. There is something very natural about becoming old and dying. It is the afterlife that is a warped viewpoint, some infinite, listless metaphysical existence sounds horrible! So this is how deciding to be atheist has benefited me, where I actually happily accept my impending termination. Although I hope I get a good long innings in!

:)

Dave! wrote: »
    Shenanigans.
    We can't know anything for sure,

Shennanigans, I know for sure that I'm typing on my keyboard right now.
    so 'atheism' is a technically incorrect term, but it's a practical term.

I believe the correct term is "practical atheism".

You seem to be trying to convince us all that we really think that there IS a god, subconsciously.

Indeed, it's the voices, you'll have to forgive me.

Do you believe in godzilla? No? But you don't know there's no godzilla, so you're an ag-godzilla-stic.

What about Zeus, do you believe in Zeus? No? But... surely you're open to the possibility. You're an ag-zeus-stic.

If you drop an apple, do you think it will travel towards the ground or towards the sky? The ground? But you don't know for sure... Let's call you an ag-[insert relevent word here]-stic.

Do you believe we're in the Matrix? But you can't know for sure.........

Is there a point to all this empty rhetoric?

If you're okay with me calling you an ag-godzilla-stic (I'll try to think of a catchier term, don't worry)

It's okay, I'll understand.
    then I'm an agnostic.

Well, you finally came to your senses, glad to be of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Awesome, good to see you're making a contribution!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Shennanigans, I know for sure that I'm typing on my keyboard right now.
    but do you really? Your senses tell you that you are.
    Indeed, it's the voices, you'll have to forgive me.

Is there a point to all this empty rhetoric?

It's okay, I'll understand.

Well, you finally came to your senses, glad to be of help.
    I think you missed his point. From what I got he was arguing that you cannot dispell the notion of say, Zeus - doesn't mean you particularly think Zeus exists but you cannot prove he doesnt.

From my understanding many aethiests are agnostic. They don't totally rule out the chance of there being a god - its just highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

I actually agree with this, but only because the question really isn't one that requires a definite answer*. However, if you had to make a decision for some reason, what would it be?

*EDIT: Except for me, that is. I simply could not deal with the maybe, because I would be concerned with 'what happens after you die'. After very careful consideration, I came to the conclusion that the existence of a god/s and afterlife are highly improbable and hence decided that I was an atheist. After a few depressing years of knowing that my life would end, I actually came out of it feeling very positive. There is something very natural about becoming old and dying. It is the afterlife that is a warped viewpoint, some infinite, listless metaphysical existence sounds horrible! So this is how deciding to be atheist has benefited me, where I actually happily accept my impending termination. Although I hope I get a good long innings in!

:)

Interesting, I quite like the maybe... If I had to decide, lets see, eenie meenie mieny, mo...

Yeah, I'd definately agree on the benefits re impending termination, make the most of the life you've got and enjoy it!

axer wrote: »
    but do you really? Your senses tell you that you are.

Maybe you don't. I may be agnostic, but this much I'm prepared to accept. :)
    I think you missed his point.
    Wow! There was a point to be found somewhere in all that waffle?
    From what I got he was arguing that you cannot dispell the notion of say, Zeus - doesn't mean you particularly think Zeus exists but you cannot prove he doesnt.

From my understanding many aethiests are agnostic. They don't totally rule out the chance of there being a god - its just highly unlikely.

Aye, I've recently been informed that the correct term for this is "practical atheism".

Aye, I've recently been informed that the correct term for this is "practical atheism".
    So you're agnostic with respect to Zeus and godzilla and gravity, yes?

but you only believe that you were typing on your keyboard or are you concluding that it did happen due to the evidence supplied i.e. your senses? Are you open to the alternative that you were not typing on your keyboard?

or agnostic aethiest would be the technical word.

So you're agnostic with respect to Zeus and godzilla and gravity, yes?

Yes, Napoleon told me I am, he's sitting beside me right now.

• Advertisement

You're a legend mate, there's a thread over in the Christianity forum which you would feel most at home in. Your skills of circumvention will be appreciated and welcomed there.

Click me

but you only believe that you were typing on your keyboard or are you concluding that it did happen due to the evidence supplied i.e. your senses?

I believe that I was tying and am concluding that it happened.
    or agnostic aethiest would be the technical word.
    second-new-thing-learned-today :)

You're a legend mate, there's a thread over in the Christianity forum which you would feel most at home in. Your skills of circumvention will be appreciated and welcomed there.

Right, so that's where you picked up the trick of posting 5-6 lines of rhetoric rather than a concise argument that can be expressed in one line.

And no doubt plenty of other stuff aswell...

I'm certain my argument was concise, you just chose to ignore it.

I said that you cannot disprove things like Zeus, fairies, the possibility of gravity not working... etc etc... Yet you live your life as though you know for certain that they're untrue.

And so my point was that if you were to extend your logic vis-a-vis the Abrahamic god to these other ideas and deities, then it doesn't make sense to be anything but agnostic with respect to them.

That was more than one line but I hope it's still concise enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I believe that I was tying and am concluding that it happened.

You can't know this for sure, you can simply make an assessment, and use this assessment to form a belief.

That is what atheists like myself do. They make an assessment and use that assessment to form an opinion (I stop short of calling it a belief) on the existence of gods, the opinion that belief they are real is incorrect.

I'm certain my argument was concise,
    Maybe by the standards in that Christianity forum thingy, I wouldn't regard it as so.

you just chose to ignore it.

Correct.
    I said that you cannot disprove things like Zeus, fairies, the possibility of gravity not working... etc etc... Yet you live your life as though you know for certain that they're untrue.

You didn't say anything, you asked a load of meaningless questions.
    And so my point was that if you were to extend your logic vis-a-vis the Abrahamic god to these other ideas and deities, then it doesn't make sense to be anything but agnostic with respect to them.

Wow! Impressed :D

Well, I'm not sure why you'd want to apply logic applied to the existence/non existence of God to an idea such as gravity.

Gravity is a mathematical model, I really don't see what that's got to do with the argument.

As for deities, afaik, Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad and the like all existed and were by all accounts pretty cool dudes, maybe one of them was on to something maybe not, I've no way of knowing.
    That was more than one line but I hope it's still concise enough.

It's really not that diffcult :) How about:

Extending your logic to other ideas and deities wouldn't make much sense.

Wicknight wrote: »
    You can't know this for sure, you can simply make an assessment, and use this assessment to form a belief.

Fair enough, it wouldn't work for me right now, but I'm starting to understand atheism a little more, thanks!

The point about gravity is that you can drop an apple 99 times and it'll always go down at pretty much the same speed. But who's to say that the 100th time it won't shoot up into the sky? Or plummet down at 100x the normal speed?

Yet you live your life as though the force of gravity will remain constant. Otherwise you wouldn't get into an airplane.

We live our life based on assumptions, so if you want to be completely accurate, you'd have to say that you're agnostic with respect to gravity as well as most other things. But you don't. So I don't see why you would feel the need to highlight that agnosticism is the logical position to take with respect to theism.
    Fair enough, it wouldn't work for me right now, but I'm starting to understand atheism a little more, thanks!

Woohoo!!! That's a start :pac: We'll be waiting to welcome you when you do decide to take that step towards agnosticism ;)

The point about gravity is that you can drop an apple 99 times and it'll always go down at pretty much the same speed. But who's to say that the 100th time it won't shoot up into the sky? Or plummet down at 100x the normal speed?

Yet you live your life as though the force of gravity will remain constant. Otherwise you wouldn't get into an airplane.

We live our life based on assumptions, so if you want to be completely accurate, you'd have to say that you're agnostic with respect to gravity as well as most other things. But you don't. So I don't see why you would feel the need to highlight that agnosticism is the logical position to take with respect to theism.

Ahh, beginning to see a bit more where you're coming from. Yeah I can see your point but I think it's based on an assumption that the odds of God existing are very remote. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Guessing a bit again, but this might stem from believing in the Scientific Theory, which doesn't quite do it for me... Don't get me wrong though, it beats the hell out of pretty much anything else out there.

Now, lets say we drop one million apples to test the theory of gravity and it holds in each instance. All's fine there, no problems apart from philosophical issues.

How do we perform a similar test re the existence/non existence of God?
    What are you basing your probabilities on?

Woohoo!!! That's a start :pac: We'll be waiting to welcome you when you do decide to take that step towards agnosticism ;)

Damn all this atheism/agnosticsm, I'm going back believing whatever a strange man in a costume tells me and whatever's in some book, it's easier ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

All else being equal, the simple explanation is most likely true.

That a supernatural, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, omnipresent, transcendant being simply popped into existence?

Or that we all simply exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ahh, beginning to see a bit more where you're coming from. Yeah I can see your point but I think it's based on an assumption that the odds of God existing are very remote. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're not wrong! People who go out of there way to call themselves atheists (practical or not) have concluded from a thought process that the chances of earthly gods are indeed highly unlikely.

For a start they all have suspiciously human tendencies, for a entities powerful enough to create the entire universe. :pac:

All else being equal, the simple explanation is most likely true.

That a supernatural, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, omnipresent, transcendant being simply popped into existence?

Or that we all simply exist.

Wow, this is the first good use of rhetoric I've come across since starting to post here. Nice to see this art being used well for a change :)

I see your point, but you're assuming that the aforementioned being did indeed pop into existence and is benevolent.

Let me ask the same question using slightly different lingo:

Was the universe created by and omnipotent being or does it simply exist?

Personally, I'd rate the odds at about 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Who created the creator then?

Dades wrote: »
    You're not wrong! People who go out of there way to call themselves atheists (practical or not) have concluded from a thought process that the chances of earthly gods are indeed highly unlikely.

For a start they all have suspiciously human tendencies, for a entities powerful enough to create the entire universe. :pac:

I think you're answering a slightly different question to the one asked. I was referring to the existence/non existence of God rather than any specific qualities ascribed by mainly delusional belief systems.

If I phrased the question as follows:

Was the universe created by an omnipotent being or does it simply exist?

What would you base your probabilities on?

Who created the creator then?

Ehm, you're assuming that the "the creator", as you put it, was indeed created.

How do you argue that it is possible for the universe to "simply exist" and not for God to "simply exist"?

How do you argue that it is possible for the universe to "simply exist" and not for God to "simply exist"?

Because we know (in so far as we can know anything) that the universe is there and that it exists! We don't where it came from. So if you're willing to entertain the idea that something can simply exist (as you apparant are with god), then why would you go beyond the universe, to something for which there is no evidence? There is absolutely no sign of god anywhere at all, so why invoke him at all? Why not just say that the UNIVERSE simply exists, and that's that -- existance explained?

If I phrased the question as follows:

Was the universe created by an omnipotent being or does it simply exist?

What would you base your probabilities on?

I would say that we know the universe exists, we do not know that an omnipotent being exists. So why would one invoke such a being into a scientific debate?

One might as well say "does the universe simply exist, or was it created by a giant invisible apple?"

How about my own personal answer: I don't know, why don't we reserve judgement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think you're answering a slightly different question to the one asked. I was referring to the existence/non existence of God rather than any specific qualities ascribed by mainly delusional belief systems.

If you don't define the qualities that God supposedly has, then how can you possibly claim to have any idea about the probability of his existence?
    You need to define what you think Gods actual qualities are (eg omnipresence, omnipower etc) for you to make any intelligent decisions about wether or not he exists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You need to define what you think Gods actual qualities are (eg omnipresence, omnipower etc) for you to make any intelligent decisions about wether or not he exists.
    Exactly.

You are attempting to define "God" out of reach; as "anything" that may have been involved in the origin of matter. Whatever that may or may not be, it is not a "God", it does not have any known characteristics to believe (or not) in, and it sure as hell doesn't know or care that we exist.

• Advertisement

If you don't define the qualities that God supposedly has, then how can you possibly claim to have any idea about the probability of his existence?
    How can you define something that nobody has ever seen, heard or has seen any evidence of? You would have to simply make it up without ANY evidence.

Advertisement