Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rorybbellows

Where are all you guys planning on getting traineeships, and if you get them where are you planning to get jobs with no experience? There are so many firms nowadays letting apprentices go after they qualify, I know one firm with as many apprentices as solicitors. It seems like a long hard struggle to get a career out of the fe1 route these days.

Just wondering if many of you guys have done the FE1s without having an apprenticeship lined up?

Gerry, definitely get it rechecked. I know several people who came up quite significantly on a recheck, and you only need 2% more.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭tombren

gerryok1 wrote: »
    Got 48 in EU today,:mad: it was my last one, has anyone ever got them rechecked, is it worth it?

definitely get it checked, mate of mine got brought up in eu from 42 after the last exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jeffreylewisfan

Sat five and passed four only company left next time. fair play to anybody who passed all 8 thats an incredible achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Just wondering if many of you guys have done the FE1s without having an apprenticeship lined up?

Gerry, definitely get it rechecked. I know several people who came up quite significantly on a recheck, and you only need 2% more.

I just passed my first four and sitting the next 4 in March and then I'm heading to Oz for a year so no, I dont have an apprenticeship lined up. I have an interview in my fathers solicitor whenever I pass but thats all that is and he's pretty small. I'm not gonna worry about those things till I have all my Fe-1's under my arse. They're enough to worry about at the one time!

I just passed my first four and sitting the next 4 in March and then I'm heading to Oz for a year so no, I dont have an apprenticeship lined up. I have an interview in my fathers solicitor whenever I pass but thats all that is and he's pretty small. I'm not gonna worry about those things till I have all my Fe-1's under my arse. They're enough to worry about at the one time!

Fair play, half way there anyway. Hope the rest go well for you. I know a guy who went to Oz a few years ago for the year and is practicing law there now, he seems to love it.

The reason I ask about apprenticeships is that I sat FE1s in Sept/Oct, and I was astounded by the amount of people sitting the exams. I never really thought about it before, but it occurred to me that a lot of people must be sitting them 'on spec,' for want of a better phrase. Is that the situation for the majority of people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

gerryok1 wrote: »
    Got 48 in EU today,:mad: it was my last one, has anyone ever got them rechecked, is it worth it?

That bastard Cahill:mad::mad::mad:

I just passed my first four and sitting the next 4 in March and then I'm heading to Oz for a year so no, I dont have an apprenticeship lined up. I have an interview in my fathers solicitor whenever I pass but thats all that is and he's pretty small.

Sure if thats the case just bully him into giving you a job!!

Finally got organised and got my results this morning, passed all 5. Scraped one: 52%, and got 57, 58, 59 and 66 in the others. Will take that! Working full time is a nightmare with these exams though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 william25

Finally got organised and got my results this morning, passed all 5. Scraped one: 52%, and got 57, 58, 59 and 66 in the others. Will take that! Working full time is a nightmare with these exams though.
    sorry when did the results come out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 james gamble

Has anyone out there received grinds on exam techniques for college exams or the FE-1s?

I have a friend America who tells me 'Prep Courses' are very big over there. not just on subject matter but on smart tips on presentation, timing, scoring extra marks etc.

I'm finishing my law degree in Portobello in may 08 and hope to do the FE-1 exams in October. I don't have a problem remembering the cases etc. but I need help on how to apply them to problem questions. I always manage to run out of time

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Has anyone out there received grinds on exam techniques for college exams or the FE-1s?

I have a friend America who tells me 'Prep Courses' are very big over there. not just on subject matter but on smart tips on presentation, timing, scoring extra marks etc.

I'm finishing my law degree in Portobello in may 08 and hope to do the FE-1 exams in October. I don't have a problem remembering the cases etc. but I need help on how to apply them to problem questions. I always manage to run out of time

:confused:

ya they're very big in the states indeed - cost quite a lot of money also. I think I heard in and around the 3000-5000dollar mark, but I could be wrong in stating that figure. What I did hear is fe1-direct are quite good, in that they post out all the material to you, and you go in for one evening or something like that, just to answer any questions you might have, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Feedback from my friends on FE1 Direct wasn't good. The material was outdated.

besty wrote: »
    Feedback from my friends on FE1 Direct wasn't good. The material was outdated.

matter of opinion. Two friends of mine, both of whom passed 6 in october past said it was fantastic. But that just reinforces the point that it's all up to the person in question if they will get use from courses such as the one being offered from fe1direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 guffer101

Originally Posted by james gamble viewpost.gif

"I have a friend America who tells me 'Prep Courses' are very big over there. not just on subject matter but on smart tips on presentation, timing, scoring extra marks etc."

I had a friend who did a one day course with Premier Exam Techniques. He said it was very worthwhile. I think they focus totally on how to get better marks in exams; i.e. timing, memory association, concentration etc. There web site is www.premierexamtechniques.ie

Best of luck with everything!

Thanks for that Guffer. I checked the website out. Looks very flash. Has anyone out there done the course? I see there some articles on exam techniques on the Web site. I can’t open pdf’s on my computer though.

€175 looks expensive for a half day course?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Just simply download acrobat reader to open pdf's...and I agree, 175 is steep for merely 4 hours...and by the tome everything starts it'll end up 3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 walshy1

I did the course in the Morrison Hotel last February. I’ve only got TORT left to sit in the FE-1s. Found the course very useful. They give you like a 50 page student manual on the day. In terms of Law exams there’s a lot of information that when you hear it, you’ll say why didn’t I think of that before.

There are three speakers and it lasts about 3 ½ or 4 hours. They serve these home made cookies in the Morrison, at the break, which are nearly worth going for alone!!!

They also teach Memory association. I did a one day course with Charles Garavan at leeson st. so I was familiar with the concept. It works well if you can put the time into changing how you study. Strangely, they also cover Nutrition. Foods and drinks to avoid which sap energy when you’re studying. Coffee, sugar… and foods a drinks to eat more of, fish, fresh fruit…

I did Griffith College course as well. This course fits well as an add on, as it covers different ground.
    It looks like they’re introducing an advanced course this year.

walshy1 wrote: »
    I did the course in the Morrison Hotel last February. I’ve only got TORT left to sit in the FE-1s. Found the course very useful. They give you like a 50 page student manual on the day. In terms of Law exams there’s a lot of information that when you hear it, you’ll say why didn’t I think of that before.

There are three speakers and it lasts about 3 ½ or 4 hours. They serve these home made cookies in the Morrison, at the break, which are nearly worth going for alone!!!

They also teach Memory association. I did a one day course with Charles Garavan at leeson st. so I was familiar with the concept. It works well if you can put the time into changing how you study. Strangely, they also cover Nutrition. Foods and drinks to avoid which sap energy when you’re studying. Coffee, sugar… and foods a drinks to eat more of, fish, fresh fruit…

I did Griffith College course as well. This course fits well as an add on, as it covers different ground.

What drinks should you drink?? Coffee?? No???:confused:

coffee??... but what happens when you're tired and you HAVE to study??... I find coffee is great in the evening for doing two or three more hours.. however I did find myself a small bit flaked out the next day after a lot of coffee the day before...

Apparently, coffee and sugar exhaust your hydrenal glands (located somewhere in your lower back). The hydrenal glands help you to deal with stress. also, the kick you get from them is short lived and you can end up feeling more exhausted than before you drank the coffee, eat that bar of chocolate etc.

The best energy drink for exams according to the course is freshly squeezed orange juice, with lemon squeezed into it, until it's almost bitter. This drink apparently keeps your glycemic levels low for the day, achieving a consistent level of energy!!! According to the exam techniques course... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Apparently, coffee and sugar exhaust your hydrenal glands (located somewhere in your lower back). The hydrenal glands help you to deal with stress. also, the kick you get from them is short lived and you can end up feeling more exhausted than before you drank the coffee, eat that bar of chocolate etc.

The best energy drink for exams according to the course is freshly squeezed orange juice, with lemon squeezed into it, until it's almost bitter. This drink apparently keeps your glycemic levels low for the day, achieving a consistent level of energy!!! According to the exam techniques course... :)

I find that a neat whiskey or a good stiff cognac really keeps you going. I think just before doing major exams is probably not a good time to make radical changes to your diet and lifestyle.

Coffee may sap your hydrenal gland, but think of the benefits to all the other parts of your body. I've never used my hydrenal glands during exams.

Hi Walshy, did you not think you had enough to study without getting another 50 page manual?

Can you go and do the advanced course http://www.premierexamtechniques.ie/advanced.html without having done their Primary Course? Or can you do both the one day?

Hi Walshy, did you not think you had enough to study without getting another 50 page manual?

Can you go and do the advanced course http://www.premierexamtechniques.ie/advanced.html without having done their Primary Course? Or can you do both the one day?

There's an e-mail address on the web site info@premierexamtechniques.ie , that question might be best directed at them...

The student manual is covered in the seminar. It's just to save you taking too many notes. I'd imagine they'd let you do either or both courses. But try e-mailing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dude12345

Hi Folks,

Need you advice. I'm working full time and am considering sitting four FE-1's this April (Contract Equity Property and Criminal) - Do you think three months is enough time?

I've a BCL degree from UCC (graduated 2006) and had planned to study purely from my lecture notes / text books I have without attending a prep course, but am a little daunted by the work involved.

Anyone passed the Blackhalls in similar circumstances?

Hi Dude

The following is the time table for the next sitting.

Friday 28 March 2008 Tort
    Monday 31 March 2008 Equity
    Wednesday 02 April 2008 Company
    Friday 04 April 2008 Constitutional
    Monday 07 April 2008 Criminal
    Wednesday 09 April 2008 EU
    Friday 11 April 2008 Contract
    Monday 14 April 2008 Property

I've only tort left to sit myself. The subjects you are choosing are probably the most common for the first sitting. You might be leaving youself a bit tight time wise on Property at the end. Property is a very entensive and demanding FE 1, as I'm sure you know. But even if you got the other 3 you'd be well on your way.

In terms of just using your college notes to study; that is possible. I just used my college notes for Company and only spent about a month studying and passed (as I panicked about property and dropped it for my first sitting).

I note that it's been 18 months since you graduated. There has been some new legislation in criminal for example; 2007 Criminal Justice Act; ( http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2007/a2907.pdf ) which has made some significant changes. So your notes might need some up dating.

I'd suggest getting a copy of the manuals from Griffith, fe-1 direct or Independent colleges, to be on the safe side. But I thinks its doable if you're 'Gung Ho' enough!

Best of luck with the exams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TimmahTams

Hey,

I'm sitting the preliminary examination in march and was wondering if anyone else had ever done it? if so do you have any advice or could you recommend any of the preperation course providers?

Also, as I understand it you are required to sit 4 of the 8 FE1's on your first attempt and you must pass 3 for them to be counted. My question is, if you pass all 4 (or even 3 out of 4) do the law society place any limit on how long you can take to sit and pass the remaining exams? i.e if you passed 3 could you then sit a single further exam each year ( not that I'm planning on taking 5 years ), but I'd like to travel, along with some other things, so I don't want to be rushed into getting them as fast as possible.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Hey, I'm sitting that exam myself for the first time in March as well. One point I can not make strongly enough is make sure you get the past exam papers. I have them, they cost five Euro from the Law Society and are invaluable. Some of the questions particularly in the general knowledge section are not what I would describe as being part of general knowledge.

For course preperation I am using the distance course with the Dublin Tutorial Centre. It suits me as I have only a limited amount of time. I would find it very difficult being told I have to be at a certain place at a certain time. It's done through essays assigned each week. The only thing is that it has been running since November. So I'm not sure how this would work for yourself.

I can't answer all of your final question but I do know that an FE-1 exam is valid for five years. Hope that helps.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Stirling

Just wondering if anybody who appealed an October exam has heard anything yet? Just starting to get a bit anxious about mine. Thanks :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement