Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clally

Hi all,

I'm planning to sit FE1s for the first time in march/april 08, doing four then and four at the next sitting (all going well).

I have a law degree and i know which subjects i found easier and preferred, however that aside i just wondered would anyone have any advice on how to divvy up the eight subjects? i.e., would there be two subjects that you would be mad to do together!? Likewise would it make sense to do certain ones together?

Any advice appreciated,
    Good luck to everyone sitting them
    Clally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

I think it might be a good idea to do equity along with land and contract. there is some overlap there. I'm planning on sitting 6 in two weeks and have left company and eu for the next sitting. I decided to do it that way because i've heard the two of them are notoriously hard and decided i wanted to devote as much time as possible to them. It all depends on what you like though. I hated company and eu in college. Hope all goes well for u!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Snapper1 wrote:
    folks,

I just received my rules and regulations in the post today and noticed "no food or drinks may be brought into the examination hall" !!

Was just wondering are they strict in enforcing this? seems a bit harsh to not allow a sip of water now and again through a 3 hour scribble-fest!

Thats the rule, its to stop people taking liberties, and to afford the authorities some discretion, but by all means bring a drink. Just don't bring a bag of unopenable marshmallows!!!:eek:

I used to supervise at the UCD exams, and I had this one kid with a tin of Bavaria. He tried the old "The rules don't say anything" routine. He was soused and looked a bit silly. Poor bastard.

IT Loser wrote:
    Thats the rule, its to stop people taking liberties, and to afford the authorities some discretion, but by all means bring a drink. Just don't bring a bag of unopenable marshmallows!!!:eek:

I used to supervise at the UCD exams, and I had this one kid with a tin of Bavaria. He tried the old "The rules don't say anything" routine. He was soused and looked a bit silly. Poor bastard.

haha thats so funny. i wouldnt mind bringing in a few vodka shots to lighten the mood!

Font22 wrote:
    haha thats so funny. i wouldnt mind bringing in a few vodka shots to lighten the mood!

Lighten your head is all they'll do!!! Better to wait till November when the results come out, what-what??:cool: :cool:

Best of luck anyways!!!!

{with the exams that is, not your imbibing while scribing plans}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Liawyer

Hi,

Only a couple more weeks to go to the exams:eek:

I've left things a bit late for EU I think so am desperately trying to cut out the least likely areas (a risky strategy I know).

I've covered institutions, sources of eu law, preliminary reference (Art 234 etc) and would like any tips on what other essential areas have a good chance of coming up. I have to face the fact that I don't have the time to cover everything.

So, can anyone advise on what key areas I should concentrate on and what I could possibly cut out altogether.

I know, I know it could blow up in my face but I have to be realistic. Thanks in advance:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

It could be an idea to ask over at the Google FE1 study group;
    http://groups.google.ie/group/FE-1-Study-Group?lnk=gschg&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

quick question guys.. how long on average does one leave to study for the blackhalls?? If i were to sit 4 at a time that is?

i normally start studying for exams 6 weeks ahead i.e. making notes etc but real study is always done in the last few days coming up to the exams. thats when i turn into a demon too so this week should be great fun for my family and friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

It's all good though, you'll then get to be a lawyer and (depending on what you qualify into) have no time for family and friends!

• Advertisement

daiixi wrote:
    It's all good though, you'll then get to be a lawyer and (depending on what you qualify into) have no time for family and friends!

LOL let's hope not! it's all about time management!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

fantastic, fun times ahead! was planning on dealing with the first four blackhalls in october of next year, basically after doing my finals in May. Was thinking on just getting them out of the way next year... So I am right in saying that most people work through the year they are studying for the blackhalls and then take time off to do the "real" study a few weeks before the sit them??

i finished my finals in may, worked and went to lectures in griffith during the summer and then started studying a few weeks ago. no bother to u!!

do you know what i would love? if you could take some acts into the criminal exam. learning section numbers is so difficult.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Its actually not too bad. You'll find that most are simply relayed in Criminal. NOAPA is the biggest challenge to map the mens rea and actus reus to the section and discription. Rest are fairly ok

I shoved them into an excel sheet, worked well.

There is no substitute to learning them off. Particularly property and public order offences.

Note that the amendments to the 2006 and 2007 Sexual Offences modify the law slightly in respect of certain previous acts.

the actual law is grand, its literally just the numbers of the sections that are killing me. i suppose i'll have to revert back to my leaving cert learning off mania status.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackelle

not really, you have to know the necessary proofs of each section but it's a short course. Criminal is probably the easiest of the 8 and has the highest pass rate so it's very doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Hi all
    Hope the study is going well, I nearly have all my written work done barr equity, just wondering if anyone has any tips?
    They'd be a great help!

only one left!!! thank god!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 OleLegend

anyone going to the Griffith class party to celebrate the end of the FE 1's
    i just got an invite in the post on Friday?

Just got my results in the post. I managed to pass all 5 I sat thankfully. Hopefully everyone gets the grades they deserve.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

Just got my results and passed all 8,first time.
    This time last year I was driving a teleporter on a building site.
    Had not sat an exam or studied since 1983.
    But I have all the Griffith College manuals for sale plus the exam booklets.
    And they are in good nick,no notes written in,just highlighted.
    And whats more they are clearly lucky.
    Better born lucky than smart I always say

Just got my results and passed all 8,first time.
    This time last year I was driving a teleporter on a building site.
    Had not sat an exam or studied since 1983.
    But I have all the Griffith College manuals for sale plus the exam booklets.
    And they are in good nick,no notes written in,just highlighted.
    And whats more they are clearly lucky.
    Better born lucky than smart I always say

Do they give percentages or just a pass/fail mark these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭tombren

they give percentages

tombren wrote: »
    they give percentages

Whats the lowest percentage they might give someone. Do they really embarass you or what??:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Where are all you guys planning on getting traineeships, and if you get them where are you planning to get jobs with no experience? There are so many firms nowadays letting apprentices go after they qualify, I know one firm with as many apprentices as solicitors. It seems like a long hard struggle to get a career out of the fe1 route these days.

Where are all you guys planning on getting traineeships, and if you get them where are you planning to get jobs with no experience? There are so many firms nowadays letting apprentices go after they qualify, I know one firm with as many apprentices as solicitors. It seems like a long hard struggle to get a career out of the fe1 route these days.

Many people coming out of college and beginning the FE1 route have training contracts lined up from applications done during final year. That's my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

yeah passed 8
    all griffith notes for sale includeing brand new never opened tort, const, prop and EU and exam papers up to and including oct 07.
    pm me will be back to you tomorrow evening, going on the beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but wanna try and sell these first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 gerryok1

Got 48 in EU today,:mad: it was my last one, has anyone ever got them rechecked, is it worth it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement