Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus workers threaten strike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

o wow theres a massive thread here.

Well thankfully to bus drivers, i had no bus service this morning, meaning i missed college.

I also missed an important test that accounts for 30% of my total marks.

Your public servants, you dont go on strike, its a disgrace. I'm glad a bus got pelted with coffee going by " out of service" this morning.

Absolute shambles.
    Its started already, Your right I agree we should not be on strike, We have been left with no other option by DB managements forceful approach and bully tatics to implement change to our work practices.

If you pelted my bus with coffee I would have stopped and called the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The vast majority of driver duties can be summarised as follows:

Early:
    *Usually* starts in depot before 8am and finishes either in depot or in city around 2pm

Late:
    *Usually* starts between 3 and 5pm either in city or at depot and finishes in depot after 10pm

Relief:
    Can start from between 12pm and 3pm in the depot or the city and finishes after 8pm at either the depot or the city

Bogey:
    Starts before 8am in the depot, breaks at about 11am either in the depot or in the city, and starts again after 3pm finishing by 7pm, generally restarting in the same place as where the break started and finishing in either the depot or the city.

There are the odd exceptions to these, but in essence it's quite possible for driving duties to:
    1) Start in a depot and finish in city
    2) Start in the city and finish in the depot
    3) Start in the city and finish in the city
    4) Start in the depot and finish in the depot

Drivers can sign in either at the depot or when they board the bus in the city.

spareman wrote: »
    So what your saying is, the majority of time we will have a relief driver and not have to wait on a bus going nowhere, Is this good enough for the traveling public?

No I'm not - I am just pointing out that no-one is taking into account that there will be a new *direct* and frequent route to/from Harristown that has not been there until now which should make the journey easier, that's all.

Delays can affect you as a Donnybrook driver as well, and I'm sure that there are occasions where you've needed your full break (having arrived late) and people have had to wait. It does happen, but not every day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

There was a bus driver on the RTE news yesterday, ranting about how high house prices had forced him out of the "GDA - Greater Dublin Area", and how these new arrangements would mean he wouldn't get to spend time with his kids etc.

I really believe, if drivers want public support, they need to stop stories like this. The location of where any Dublin Bus worker lives has nothing to do with this strike.

Trying to be positive here, where do people see this situation developing? Harristown can't stay on strike forever, and drivers can't afford to be out of work.

What solutions can be given to this dispute, where everyone benefits.

Would the transfer of routes 128 and 4/4A to another depot be the handiest answer. Harristown could then take some easier to run routes in return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The driver actually said per day, RTE cut him off mid sentence and went on to say per week, for some strange reason?

You're a joke. Bus drivers and the unions do not have the interests of the public at heart despite what they say. And now RTE are manipulating video to put words into drivers mouths ? The only bully tactics I and the rest of the public can see are coming from Dublin Bus drivers and their unions. They won't take note that the Labour Court rules against them but yet they want to go again. And what happens if they rule against you once more ? Another strike and ask to go to the labour court again until you get the ruling you want ?

daymobrew wrote: »
    Am I right in assuming that the company wants driver changes to happen in the city centre for an efficient running of the new high-frequency routes?

If changes were to only happen at Harristown, which will involve some Out-Of-Services buses going to/from the garage, how many additional buses/drivers are needed to achieve the desired high-frequency?
    I cant tell you how many extra buses/drivers would be needed, but at a guess Id say one bus, a spare bus running between outer terminus and harristown, cant see more than one bus traveling out of service at any one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

DB managements forceful approach and bully tatics

Going to the Labour Court and winning ? You can be damn sure if the union had won Management would have caved.

Jip wrote: »
    You're a joke. Bus drivers and the unions do not have the interests of the public at heart despite what they say. And now RTE are manipulating video to put words into drivers mouths ? The only bully tactics I and the rest of the public can see are coming from Dublin Bus drivers and their unions. They won't take note that the Labour Court rules against them but yet they want to go again. And what happens if they rule against you once more ? Another strike and ask to go to the labour court agaun until you get the ruling you want ?
    How am I a joke? Im just telling you the difference between what I heard when the driver was being interviewed at harristown yesterday and what was reported on the news last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I dont agree or disagree really either way, It's inconvenient for us passengers but it's worse for the drivers, they are the ones loosing money through this strike at the end of the day, and I know DB is loosing too but I'm talking about as individuals, money from their families etc.

As for the poster who said this
    o wow theres a massive thread here.

Well thankfully to bus drivers, i had no bus service this morning, meaning i missed college.

I also missed an important test that accounts for 30% of my total marks.

We all knew a strike was coming up, everybody else had to make other arrangements, you missed a test worth 30% because you didn't bother finding another way in!

I know it's a bit off topic but while I'm here I may as well say I got an a$$hole driver yesterday, he was ridiculous. Snapped and commented to everybody getting on (telling them to hurry up etc) asked me why I didn't get the bus in front of him (it was full) accused me of not paying full fare (I most definately did and the smallest coin I put in was 10c) he also called my friend back, asking her where she "thought" she was going as I had paid 1.90 she had paid 1.60 (she was getting off much earlier than me) and made a show of her saying he hopes she was not trying to skip the fare!! HOW HARD ISS IT TO BE NICE TO PEOPLE, this man is paid to do his job yet he took it out on every passanger. Granted some of the nicest people I have met have been DB drivers but yesterdays one was just pig ignorant.

I dont agree or disagree really either way, It's inconvenient for us passengers but it's worse for the drivers, they are the ones loosing money through this strike at the end of the day, and I know DB is loosing too but I'm talking about as individuals, money from their families etc.

As for the poster who said this

We all knew a strike was coming up, everybody else had to make other arrangements, you missed a test worth 30% because you didn't bother finding another way in!

I know it's a bit off topic but while I'm here I may as well say I got an a$$hole driver yesterday, he was ridiculous. Snapped and commented to everybody getting on (telling them to hurry up etc) asked me why I didn't get the bus in front of him (it was full) accused me of not paying full fare (I most definately did and the smallest coin I put in was 10c) he also called my friend back, asking her where she "thought" she was going as I had paid 1.90 she had paid 1.60 (she was getting off much earlier than me) and made a show of her saying he hopes she was not trying to skip the fare!! HOW HARD ISS IT TO BE NICE TO PEOPLE, this man is paid to do his job yet he took it out on every passanger. Granted some of the nicest people I have met have been DB drivers but yesterdays one was just pig ignorant.
    Report him, write, phone, email, whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Explain yourself, that makes no sense.
    If anything it will drop reality like a bomb on the heads of people like you and see how the rest of the country actually operates.

Badly regulated privatised bus operations would be worse than the current system. Well regulated privatised bus operations would be better. If you can find a good (Irish) example of a company that was privatised or a market that is regulated well, I'd love to see it. Frankly, our track record in this area is abysmal. You're also ignoring that fact that most of the problems DB commuters face can be blamed on the government and the city councils, not DB itself. In any event, even if routes in Dublin are regulated and opened to tender, DB will most likely still operate a large number of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah I wouldn't want to get him into trouble, I know DB act on complaints, he was prob just stressed, and when i didn't complain about the driver flying along while talking on his mobile phone I'm hardly going to ring over that........ although a woman on the bus actually rang DB from her seat that time and they radioed the driver while he was on the phone!!! Funny :)

And as I said some of the nicest people I've net have been DB drivers. If the few ignorant ones were a little bit nicer...... :D

I just thought I'd mention it as I was on anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ah I wouldn't want to get him into trouble, I know DB act on complaints, he was prob just stressed, and when i didn't complain about the driver flying along while talking on his mobile phone I'm hardly going to ring over that........ although a woman on the bus actually rang DB from her seat that time and they radioed the driver while he was on the phone!!! Funny :)
    Your description of events goes way beyond behaviour that might be excused because the driver was stressed. He'll never change if people don't report him.

You definitely should have reported the driver on the mobile. That's 2 penalty points. I am glad that another passenger reported the incident.

And as I said some of the nicest people I've net have been DB drivers. If the few ignorant ones were a little bit nicer...... :D

I just thought I'd mention it as I was on anyway :)
    I was thinking he was having a bad day alright, but if people dont complain about it, he will get away with it and frustrate more passengers, management would probably have a little word in his ear after the first complaint, might make him think about it next time.
    I myself can get very stressed at work sometimes, I do try to treat each passenger as unique, but it is very hard sometimes not to carry over a bad attitude from a previous passenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

We dont have to go, but if we turn up late in town it's a black mark against us, If we turn up 45mins earlier in harristown then we are late in town, its not our fault.

Same as us I presume, drive, cycle, bus, dart. difference is they are not being told to travel an extra 11km from monday.

I pay for a gym too, Im a donnybrook driver and the gym there is crap, The gym in harristown was added as a carrot to get driver's to move out there.

I've worked in places where offices moved and people had to travel an extra 6km (once) or 16km (second time). I've had to do it myself. Some people left the company, most people moved with it. It's life.

If you're starting your shift at a reasonable time in the city centre it's your responsibility to get there on time, like anyone else. You deserve a black mark if you're late.
    You may have to travel to city and back to garage, in heavy traffic.

Nope, you only have to do it one way. You're either picking the bus up at the depot on a very early shift or leaving it back on a very late shift. The other end of the shift you have to travel to/from the city centre. Otherwise you clock in/out in the city centre. You don't have to do the trip both ways, unless you're choosing to clock in/out at Harristown to avoid black marks because you can't get to town in time, and that's your choice.

DB management have tried to force changes to the work practices of employee's without proper negotitation or agreement, as a result we have had no other option but to strike.

As you will all be aware we are repesented by a union and as such we cannot be compared with private sector employee's who simple dont know or dont care about their rights in relation to work practice changes.

These new roster's were rejected by staff in the best interest of the traveling public and bus driver's work life balance.

The company knew what would happen on monday, but still insisted on forcing change, So instead of the 2 new routes not being started, nothing has moved in Harristown since monday.

The driver's at Harristown are determined to see this through, I would think the only way they will see it through is by picketing other depots and bringing the whole fleet to a standstill, and then the Government may get envolved to settle this dispute.

We could not do a no fares protest, as the company would not let us take the buses out of the garage. No bus driver wants to be standing out in the cold with no wages, We want this dispute resolved sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

DB management have tried to force changes to the work practices of employee's without proper negotitation or agreement, as a result we have had no other option but to strike.

As you will all be aware we are repesented by a union and as such we cannot be compared with private sector employee's who simple dont know or dont care about their rights in relation to work practice changes.

This has already been through the proper channels, and the Labour Court has found in favour of DB, either because your union didn't do its job properly and didn't get these supposedly agreed work practices in writing, or becasue no such agreement was ever made.
    These new roster's were rejected by staff in the best interest of the traveling public and bus driver's work life balance.

I'm sick of drivers going on about the best interests of the public, and how sorry they are. This is not about the good of the public. The vast majority of people affected this week would never even have known about the 'change' in work practice.
    The company knew what would happen on monday, but still insisted on forcing change, So instead of the 2 new routes not being started, nothing has moved in Harristown since monday.

And how long have these routes been on hold for? How long have you all known this was coming? It's not like DB dropped this on you last week out of the blue, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

Quick question Spareman!

given the labour court recommendations were in favour of the company do you think this will run and run i.e. can a compromise be found which will allow both groups to save face?

Obviously there seems to be a hard line on both sides at the moment but are there any background "peace" talks going on do you reckon?

Personally, I reckon this is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

DB management have tried to force changes to the work practices of employee's without proper negotitation or agreement.

...apart from the Labour Court agreement, which found the union to be at fault?
    We want this dispute resolved sooner rather than later.

...and therefore rejected proposals from the LRC and Labour Court, as reported in todays papers?

Being on strike is a ridiculous situation, and it just drags DB's public image (and more over) the driver's public image further downhill.

I have no beef with you personally, but I just cant fathom the ideals you are striking for. Its not like Dublin Bus management are killing your first born in order to extend the bus service?

• Advertisement

...apart from the Labour Court agreement, which found the union to be at fault?

...and therefore rejected proposals from the LRC and Labour Court, as reported in todays papers?

Being on strike is a ridiculous situation, and it just drags DB's public image (and more over) the driver's public image further downhill.

I think this could well be the crux of the matter...For some reason, there's been a c0ck-up at the union end which has allowed this scenario to arise... the company has then decided to introduce these changes which the LRC says its fully entitled to do.

The company therefore have nothing to gain by going back to the LRC, in fact, they'd be automatically acknowledging that the unions have a point and that the LRC's original recommendation were wrong by agreeing to even meet them thru the LRC...

I don't know the ins-and-outs of how local bargaining was done in Harristown but someone fcuked up out there and it strikes me (pardon the pun!) as being a desperate attempt to shut the door after the horse has bolted...

As is always the case in these things its the public who pays :rolleyes:

Quick question Spareman!
    given the labour court recommendations were in favour of the company do you think this will run and run i.e. can a compromise be found which will allow both groups to save face?
    No
    Obviously there seems to be a hard line on both sides at the moment but are there any background "peace" talks going on do you reckon?
    No
    Personally, I reckon this is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
    Yes

Thanks for taking the time to reply, must be a pretty uncertain time for you personally at the moment, especially with chrimbo on the way as you've mentioned

Hopefully, this can be solved before it gets totally out of control.

MOH wrote: »
    This has already been through the proper channels, and the Labour Court has found in favour of DB, either because your union didn't do its job properly and didn't get these supposedly agreed work practices in writing, or becasue no such agreement was ever made.
    Agreed, but as drivers we were told of this agreement, If the union's at fault they need to stop digging soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SimonSays

I believe that a strike which disrupts the lives of tens of thousands of people should be an absolute last resort and for a critical reason. Mabey I dont have the full storey but causing this level of distress becuase a few bus drivers have to clock out in town instead of Harristown is a very weak reason.

I find it difficult to feel any sympathy for them, when the rest of us have to adapt to changing work practices as our jobs and the times dictate. I use to have a great deal of respect for the labour movement but in recent years the unions just seem to becoming a vehical for public sector employee lazyness and greed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, must be a pretty uncertain time for you personally at the moment, especially with chrimbo on the way as you've mentioned

Hopefully, this can be solved before it gets totally out of control.
    Someone has already said they are not interested in particular driver's situations, but since you asked, Yes, It is very uncertain time at the moment, Ive 3 young kids, and a mortgage etc, Im in Donnybrook and nothing really to do with this dispute, If there is a picket on the gate at Donnybrook in the morning Im in trouble for Christmas, things are tight enough at the moment without this added pressure. (Note to non union members; do not tell me I can pass the picket)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Can we organise a march to counteract this calling for the privatisation of Dublin Bus ;)

Yeah, cause that would be a roaring success with the same bunch of politicians in charge of organising regulation of the sector.

Seriously, I'm convinced half the muppetry that goes on in the public sector is deliberately *allowed* by the government, who would like nothing better than to have more people clamour for privatisation, and then when services are privatised, the government can say "it's not our responsibility" when it's all falling apart still and costing people *even more*. Free market economics isn't an ideology in Ireland, it's a useful excuse to get the government out of doing anything.

Why can't the people upset by shoddy public services just hold the government accountable and demand the services be sorted out, instead of trying to get the government off the hook by allowing them to divest themselves of their present influence in favour of having even more indirect control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Someone has already said they are not interested in particular driver's situations, but since you asked, Yes, It is very uncertain time at the moment, Ive 3 young kids, and a mortgage etc, Im in Donnybrook and nothing really to do with this dispute, If there is a picket on the gate at Donnybrook in the morning Im in trouble for Christmas, things are tight enough at the moment without this added pressure. (Note to non union members; do not tell me I can pass the picket)

I was in the public sector and refused to join the union because of nonsense like this strike. I asked a guy who had been there years who wasn't union either what he'd do in a strike and he advised just to take a sick day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Explain yourself, that makes no sense.
    If anything it will drop reality like a bomb on the heads of people like you and see how the rest of the country actually operates.
    Actually, if you privatized Dublin Bus, it'd make it better in the short run. In the long run, it'll go worse, and anywhere that is only getting a few people (oh, I don't know, maybe only two full buses a day) will either get axed, or have many of their times cut. Any dangerous areas like Finglas; not worth the hassle. I'd say they'd be first to go. And by dangerous, I mean buses and drivers getting attacked, etc. Only happen in certain parts of the city you say? Nevermind, soon they wouldn't get a bus...

And soon only the city center will have buses, and force everyone to drive to work.

Yeah, that'd be fun:rolleyes:

Whatever about the latter, the former is not your responsibility with all due respect.

It is the job of management to manage the company, and "the best interest of the travelling public" is fundamentally their responsibility and not that of the employees.

If the changes cause ongoing delays to passengers, then it is management's responsibility to make the necessary changes to ensure that they do in fact work.

Note - I am not making ANY comment regarding the second part of your statement, so do not take it as such.

KC61 wrote: »
    Whatever about the latter, the former is not your responsibility with all due respect.

It is the job of management to manage the company, and "the best interest of the travelling public" is fundamentally their responsibility and not that of the employees.

If the changes cause ongoing delays to passengers, then it is management's responsibility to make the necessary changes to ensure that they do in fact work.

Note - I am not making ANY comment regarding the second part of your statement, so do not take it as such.
    This is very true, but surely this shows the incompetence of management if it takes us driver's to tell them passengers will be inconvienced. Alot of these pen pusher's havent got a clue what it's like on the frontline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

KC61 wrote: »

your just being mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ballymun has had no bus services for two days and it looks like continuing for the week. There's people in this area who's ability to put food on the table is dependant on getting into work on time every day. My heart absolutely bleeds when i hear bus drivers who are trying to bully the state by holding communities to ransom moaning that they wont have access to their state sponsored gym.

I'm a union member and if people in my job thought of striking over an issue like this i'd tell em to go f*** themselves frankly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

To be fair the people of ballymun haven't got much of a problem, there are bus links. I've been doing it for the last two days, why can't they? The 103 or the 104 to Santry and then the 16/16a to town has been doing me fine. It's actually cutting my journey time by ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

So you can wait an hour at peak time and no bus comes? Is that what your telling us?

Yes, the 4 is that bad at times....I don't get the whole 4C thing when there is no such thing of the 4C, there is only one at the end of the night....none at rush hour
    To be fair thats not just something that happens on the 4, it happens pretty often on the 10 and 19 too.

I have no doubt that is the case....I'm sure everyone has there own horror stories....my point is that the 4 needs to have this higher frequency but as the current frequency is not even met by Dublin Bus I'm beginning to wonder is this why they are trying to change things with the 4a....if the drivers can agree the frequency will not be affected if they can clock in and out of the garage then fine....if not then the change is required....but to me the sticking point is the time it takes in rush hour to get back to the garage which will need to be agreed on...

Bambi wrote: »
    Ballymun has had no bus services for two days and it looks like continuing for the week. There's people in this area who's ability to put food on the table is dependant on getting into work on time every day. My heart absolutely bleeds when i hear bus drivers who are trying to bully the state by holding communities to ransom moaning that they wont have access to their state sponsored gym.

I'm a union member and if people in my job thought of striking over an issue like this i'd tell em to go f*** themselves frankly
    Issue like this?
    Please give us your knowledge, what are the issue's here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There is no issue really, two busses is better than no bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

The 220 can also be useful for connections.

Spareman - Your wasting your time mate, it's been explained so many times now.

For the person who is moaning about the 270 - I see it will not run at all now.

The 220 can also be useful for connections.

Spareman - Your wasting your time mate, it's been explained so many times now.

For the person who is moaning about the 270 - I see it will not run at all now.
    Suppose your right, I just feel compelled to anwser any queries I can. People have got to understand, No driver wants to be on strike 6 weeks before christmas, Im not 100% on the issues here, I feel there is something darker going on, If management can force changes without agreement with staff then whats next?
    Anyway thanks to everyone who supports the drivers, and I hope the strike ends quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im p**sed off big time with Dublin Bus after today. I get the 38 (or 38 A or 38 C) from Mulhuddart as far as the Navan Road and then get the 39 to Parliament Street.

Anyway after checking on the dublin bus website to see what buses were running and which ones where not(due to the strike) I left the house at 8.55am. The terminus is only 4 stops away. There was a 38a due at 9am and a 38 due at 9.10am. I decided to walk as no bus was coming. The traffic wasnt bad so that cant be an excuse. It was 9.30am before I got a 38c(that was due to leave Tyrellstown at 9.10 am)

This evening I left work and got a jam packed 39 as far as The Halfway House on the Navan Road. Got there for 6.50pm... There was a 38 due to leave Hawkins St at 6.30pm and a 38a due to leave at 6.40 so I was in plenty of time to get either of these buses. It takes between 25 minutes and 40 minutes for the bus to get to The Halfway House.

By 7.40 I was still wating for a bus. A 38C(that was due to leave Hawkins St at 6.20) passed by at 7.20pm full up and didnt stop. It was 7.45 before the 38A arrived. The 38 didnt arrive at all. While I was wating I rang the bus depot a number of times but the phone just rang out. The driver of the 38a couldnt tell me why the other bus didnt arrive.

In addition .. on the Dublin Bus website where it gives the list of 38 A/C's affected by the strike it lists bus times that dont exist on the normal timetable.

What the hell is going on??

gazzer wrote: »
    What the hell is going on??
    A strike!! didn't nobody tell you?

No seriously, I havent a clue. Try contacting the depot during office hour's you should get through to the manager then and he might be able to explain better whats happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Tomorrow should be an interesting day with all sides returning to the Labour Court. Have there been any previous cases where the Labour Court has reversed an earlier decision?

Can anyone predict possible outcomes tomorrow? I'm not sure we'll see Dublin Bus backing down, as it has full approval already from The Labour Court, and if the unions decide to approve the decision by the Labour Court, will drivers agree to return to work after kicking up a fuss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Issue like this?
    Please give us your knowledge, what are the issue's here?

Im not 100% on the issues here

Good luck with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

In addition .. on the Dublin Bus website where it gives the list of 38 A/C's affected by the strike it lists bus times that dont exist on the normal timetable.

Well nobody can blame the drivers on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

After 2 days it's hardly a threat any more, could someone edit the thread title please?

Bambi wrote: »
    Good luck with that :)

Hey at least I dont claim to know all like some people, I answer a question or give advice if I can, I havent seen a union rep in 3 days, so not up to speed on whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭blackbox

...the longer this goes on the less confidence people will have in public transport.
    i.e. the use of cars will increase. Investment in public transport is a waste of money unless the service is guaranteed.
    What's the government's position?
    Build more and better roads is what I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

By 7.40 I was still wating for a bus. A 38C(that was due to leave Hawkins St at 6.20) passed by at 7.20pm full up and didnt stop.
    A friend was on that 6.20 from Hawkins Street, he called me on the way home to say he was running late as it broke down and a bus was sent to recover it which delayed it somewhat, the replacement bus was very slow so that all added time on combined with the traffic. It was 3/4 full by the First O'Connell Street stop with hundreds of people waiting to get on it, the driver tried to ensure anyone who did not require the 38C to wait for the next bus to prevent people from getting stranded.

I must actually state here that the reason the 38C's have been full all day is that Tyrrelstown's regular service the 40D is canceled due to the strike so they have lost 40-50 buses per day in each direction and are down to about 8-9 services in each direction as some of the 38C's are also effected by strikes. The plan was this evening to ensure that those who travelled to areas which only the 38C covered to get priority on these buses as the last three buses were 5:30, 6:20, 8:30. Those of you who could get any 38/38A/38B/38C had the option of waiting. If these other people did not get on they were stranded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm not too worried about a wider bus strike as I get the mortons bus early in their route. I think a widespread strike of any significant length of time would definitely put the privatisation issue on the agenda.

I'm not too worried about a wider bus strike as I get the mortons bus early in their route. I think a widespread strike of any significant length of time would definitely put the privatisation issue on the agenda.
    I cant see how privatisation would make any difference here, please do explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

@dub_commuter.. Yeah I can appreciate that people who needed to get the 38C got priority for that bus as there are very few of them running to Tyrellstown and there is a large number of people living there.. It still doesnt explain though how there was no 6.30 38 bus or how the 38A took over an hour to get to The Halfway House. Also the fact that there was no 9.00 38A or 9.10 38 is very strange also. Those particular buses were not affected by the strike

Advertisement