Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus workers threaten strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Quick question Spareman!
    given the labour court recommendations were in favour of the company do you think this will run and run i.e. can a compromise be found which will allow both groups to save face?
    No
    Obviously there seems to be a hard line on both sides at the moment but are there any background "peace" talks going on do you reckon?
    No
    Personally, I reckon this is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

Thanks for taking the time to reply, must be a pretty uncertain time for you personally at the moment, especially with chrimbo on the way as you've mentioned

Hopefully, this can be solved before it gets totally out of control.

MOH wrote: »
    This has already been through the proper channels, and the Labour Court has found in favour of DB, either because your union didn't do its job properly and didn't get these supposedly agreed work practices in writing, or becasue no such agreement was ever made.
    Agreed, but as drivers we were told of this agreement, If the union's at fault they need to stop digging soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SimonSays

I believe that a strike which disrupts the lives of tens of thousands of people should be an absolute last resort and for a critical reason. Mabey I dont have the full storey but causing this level of distress becuase a few bus drivers have to clock out in town instead of Harristown is a very weak reason.

I find it difficult to feel any sympathy for them, when the rest of us have to adapt to changing work practices as our jobs and the times dictate. I use to have a great deal of respect for the labour movement but in recent years the unions just seem to becoming a vehical for public sector employee lazyness and greed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, must be a pretty uncertain time for you personally at the moment, especially with chrimbo on the way as you've mentioned

Hopefully, this can be solved before it gets totally out of control.
    Someone has already said they are not interested in particular driver's situations, but since you asked, Yes, It is very uncertain time at the moment, Ive 3 young kids, and a mortgage etc, Im in Donnybrook and nothing really to do with this dispute, If there is a picket on the gate at Donnybrook in the morning Im in trouble for Christmas, things are tight enough at the moment without this added pressure. (Note to non union members; do not tell me I can pass the picket)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Jip wrote: »
    Can we organise a march to counteract this calling for the privatisation of Dublin Bus ;)

Yeah, cause that would be a roaring success with the same bunch of politicians in charge of organising regulation of the sector.

Seriously, I'm convinced half the muppetry that goes on in the public sector is deliberately *allowed* by the government, who would like nothing better than to have more people clamour for privatisation, and then when services are privatised, the government can say "it's not our responsibility" when it's all falling apart still and costing people *even more*. Free market economics isn't an ideology in Ireland, it's a useful excuse to get the government out of doing anything.

Why can't the people upset by shoddy public services just hold the government accountable and demand the services be sorted out, instead of trying to get the government off the hook by allowing them to divest themselves of their present influence in favour of having even more indirect control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

spareman wrote: »
    Someone has already said they are not interested in particular driver's situations, but since you asked, Yes, It is very uncertain time at the moment, Ive 3 young kids, and a mortgage etc, Im in Donnybrook and nothing really to do with this dispute, If there is a picket on the gate at Donnybrook in the morning Im in trouble for Christmas, things are tight enough at the moment without this added pressure. (Note to non union members; do not tell me I can pass the picket)

I was in the public sector and refused to join the union because of nonsense like this strike. I asked a guy who had been there years who wasn't union either what he'd do in a strike and he advised just to take a sick day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jip wrote: »
    Explain yourself, that makes no sense.
    If anything it will drop reality like a bomb on the heads of people like you and see how the rest of the country actually operates.
    Actually, if you privatized Dublin Bus, it'd make it better in the short run. In the long run, it'll go worse, and anywhere that is only getting a few people (oh, I don't know, maybe only two full buses a day) will either get axed, or have many of their times cut. Any dangerous areas like Finglas; not worth the hassle. I'd say they'd be first to go. And by dangerous, I mean buses and drivers getting attacked, etc. Only happen in certain parts of the city you say? Nevermind, soon they wouldn't get a bus...

And soon only the city center will have buses, and force everyone to drive to work.

Yeah, that'd be fun:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

These new roster's were rejected by staff in the best interest of the traveling public and bus driver's work life balance.

Whatever about the latter, the former is not your responsibility with all due respect.

It is the job of management to manage the company, and "the best interest of the travelling public" is fundamentally their responsibility and not that of the employees.

If the changes cause ongoing delays to passengers, then it is management's responsibility to make the necessary changes to ensure that they do in fact work.

Note - I am not making ANY comment regarding the second part of your statement, so do not take it as such.

KC61 wrote: »
    Whatever about the latter, the former is not your responsibility with all due respect.

It is the job of management to manage the company, and "the best interest of the travelling public" is fundamentally their responsibility and not that of the employees.

If the changes cause ongoing delays to passengers, then it is management's responsibility to make the necessary changes to ensure that they do in fact work.

Note - I am not making ANY comment regarding the second part of your statement, so do not take it as such.
    This is very true, but surely this shows the incompetence of management if it takes us driver's to tell them passengers will be inconvienced. Alot of these pen pusher's havent got a clue what it's like on the frontline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

KC61 wrote: »

your just being mean

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ballymun has had no bus services for two days and it looks like continuing for the week. There's people in this area who's ability to put food on the table is dependant on getting into work on time every day. My heart absolutely bleeds when i hear bus drivers who are trying to bully the state by holding communities to ransom moaning that they wont have access to their state sponsored gym.

I'm a union member and if people in my job thought of striking over an issue like this i'd tell em to go f*** themselves frankly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

To be fair the people of ballymun haven't got much of a problem, there are bus links. I've been doing it for the last two days, why can't they? The 103 or the 104 to Santry and then the 16/16a to town has been doing me fine. It's actually cutting my journey time by ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

So you can wait an hour at peak time and no bus comes? Is that what your telling us?

Yes, the 4 is that bad at times....I don't get the whole 4C thing when there is no such thing of the 4C, there is only one at the end of the night....none at rush hour
    To be fair thats not just something that happens on the 4, it happens pretty often on the 10 and 19 too.

I have no doubt that is the case....I'm sure everyone has there own horror stories....my point is that the 4 needs to have this higher frequency but as the current frequency is not even met by Dublin Bus I'm beginning to wonder is this why they are trying to change things with the 4a....if the drivers can agree the frequency will not be affected if they can clock in and out of the garage then fine....if not then the change is required....but to me the sticking point is the time it takes in rush hour to get back to the garage which will need to be agreed on...

Bambi wrote: »
    Ballymun has had no bus services for two days and it looks like continuing for the week. There's people in this area who's ability to put food on the table is dependant on getting into work on time every day. My heart absolutely bleeds when i hear bus drivers who are trying to bully the state by holding communities to ransom moaning that they wont have access to their state sponsored gym.

I'm a union member and if people in my job thought of striking over an issue like this i'd tell em to go f*** themselves frankly
    Issue like this?
    Please give us your knowledge, what are the issue's here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

There is no issue really, two busses is better than no bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

The 220 can also be useful for connections.

Spareman - Your wasting your time mate, it's been explained so many times now.

For the person who is moaning about the 270 - I see it will not run at all now.

The 220 can also be useful for connections.

Spareman - Your wasting your time mate, it's been explained so many times now.

For the person who is moaning about the 270 - I see it will not run at all now.
    Suppose your right, I just feel compelled to anwser any queries I can. People have got to understand, No driver wants to be on strike 6 weeks before christmas, Im not 100% on the issues here, I feel there is something darker going on, If management can force changes without agreement with staff then whats next?
    Anyway thanks to everyone who supports the drivers, and I hope the strike ends quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im p**sed off big time with Dublin Bus after today. I get the 38 (or 38 A or 38 C) from Mulhuddart as far as the Navan Road and then get the 39 to Parliament Street.

Anyway after checking on the dublin bus website to see what buses were running and which ones where not(due to the strike) I left the house at 8.55am. The terminus is only 4 stops away. There was a 38a due at 9am and a 38 due at 9.10am. I decided to walk as no bus was coming. The traffic wasnt bad so that cant be an excuse. It was 9.30am before I got a 38c(that was due to leave Tyrellstown at 9.10 am)

This evening I left work and got a jam packed 39 as far as The Halfway House on the Navan Road. Got there for 6.50pm... There was a 38 due to leave Hawkins St at 6.30pm and a 38a due to leave at 6.40 so I was in plenty of time to get either of these buses. It takes between 25 minutes and 40 minutes for the bus to get to The Halfway House.

By 7.40 I was still wating for a bus. A 38C(that was due to leave Hawkins St at 6.20) passed by at 7.20pm full up and didnt stop. It was 7.45 before the 38A arrived. The 38 didnt arrive at all. While I was wating I rang the bus depot a number of times but the phone just rang out. The driver of the 38a couldnt tell me why the other bus didnt arrive.

In addition .. on the Dublin Bus website where it gives the list of 38 A/C's affected by the strike it lists bus times that dont exist on the normal timetable.

What the hell is going on??

gazzer wrote: »
    What the hell is going on??
    A strike!! didn't nobody tell you?

No seriously, I havent a clue. Try contacting the depot during office hour's you should get through to the manager then and he might be able to explain better whats happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Tomorrow should be an interesting day with all sides returning to the Labour Court. Have there been any previous cases where the Labour Court has reversed an earlier decision?

Can anyone predict possible outcomes tomorrow? I'm not sure we'll see Dublin Bus backing down, as it has full approval already from The Labour Court, and if the unions decide to approve the decision by the Labour Court, will drivers agree to return to work after kicking up a fuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Issue like this?
    Please give us your knowledge, what are the issue's here?

Im not 100% on the issues here

Good luck with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

In addition .. on the Dublin Bus website where it gives the list of 38 A/C's affected by the strike it lists bus times that dont exist on the normal timetable.

Well nobody can blame the drivers on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

After 2 days it's hardly a threat any more, could someone edit the thread title please?

Bambi wrote: »
    Good luck with that :)

Hey at least I dont claim to know all like some people, I answer a question or give advice if I can, I havent seen a union rep in 3 days, so not up to speed on whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

...the longer this goes on the less confidence people will have in public transport.
    i.e. the use of cars will increase. Investment in public transport is a waste of money unless the service is guaranteed.
    What's the government's position?
    Build more and better roads is what I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

By 7.40 I was still wating for a bus. A 38C(that was due to leave Hawkins St at 6.20) passed by at 7.20pm full up and didnt stop.
    A friend was on that 6.20 from Hawkins Street, he called me on the way home to say he was running late as it broke down and a bus was sent to recover it which delayed it somewhat, the replacement bus was very slow so that all added time on combined with the traffic. It was 3/4 full by the First O'Connell Street stop with hundreds of people waiting to get on it, the driver tried to ensure anyone who did not require the 38C to wait for the next bus to prevent people from getting stranded.

I must actually state here that the reason the 38C's have been full all day is that Tyrrelstown's regular service the 40D is canceled due to the strike so they have lost 40-50 buses per day in each direction and are down to about 8-9 services in each direction as some of the 38C's are also effected by strikes. The plan was this evening to ensure that those who travelled to areas which only the 38C covered to get priority on these buses as the last three buses were 5:30, 6:20, 8:30. Those of you who could get any 38/38A/38B/38C had the option of waiting. If these other people did not get on they were stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm not too worried about a wider bus strike as I get the mortons bus early in their route. I think a widespread strike of any significant length of time would definitely put the privatisation issue on the agenda.

I'm not too worried about a wider bus strike as I get the mortons bus early in their route. I think a widespread strike of any significant length of time would definitely put the privatisation issue on the agenda.
    I cant see how privatisation would make any difference here, please do explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

@dub_commuter.. Yeah I can appreciate that people who needed to get the 38C got priority for that bus as there are very few of them running to Tyrellstown and there is a large number of people living there.. It still doesnt explain though how there was no 6.30 38 bus or how the 38A took over an hour to get to The Halfway House. Also the fact that there was no 9.00 38A or 9.10 38 is very strange also. Those particular buses were not affected by the strike

Advertisement