Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus workers threaten strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

jlang wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm disagreeing with you or giving you further evidence but I estimate that about 1 in 3 driver changes at Donnybrook Church or Rugby Ground take over 5 minutes. I don't think the drivers can use the got stuck in traffic line.

This is because DB allow 30/40 mins travel from city/ Dun Loaghaire to handover regardless of traffic conditions, time of day, day of week. I have often turned up to work 10/15 mins early only to be greeted with moaning passengers asking me why Im late, What can ya do?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Anyone know how badly the 39 is affected ?

Tusky wrote: »
    Anyone know how badly the 39 is affected ?

The following departures will not operate from Ongar 0740, 0800, 0806, 0814, 0815, 0821, 0828, 0830, 0835, 0845, 1025, 1515, 1525, 1530, 1545, 1555, 1600, 1610 and the following departures will not operate from the City Centre 0855, 0910, 0920, 0925, 0930, 0935, 1630, 1640, 1650, 1720, 1755.

spareman wrote: »
    The following departures will not operate from Ongar 0740, 0800, 0806, 0814, 0815, 0821, 0828, 0830, 0835, 0845, 1025, 1515, 1525, 1530, 1545, 1555, 1600, 1610 and the following departures will not operate from the City Centre 0855, 0910, 0920, 0925, 0930, 0935, 1630, 1640, 1650, 1720, 1755.

****ing hell. Barely any buses in the morning...

****ing hell. Barely any buses in the morning...
    I need to get the 8.10 76a from Blanch to Ballyfermot tomorrow morning and I was wondering - do any of yea know exactly what bus stops it goes from ? I got this from the website....

Make up your mind will ya, 76A or 39!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yes we make up our own rules as we go along.:rolleyes:
    Now would you think maybe the 270 route was a little busier than normal today and maybe that is the reason it was not on time?
    Did you phone the depot to see what the problem was, or were you too lazy to bother?

Make up your mind will ya, 76A or 39!!

If I miss the 76 Ive to get a 39 :)

If I miss the 76 Ive to get a 39 :)
    Keep the options open this week would be my advice.;)

• Advertisement

Im not sensitive about people criticzing the company I work for, they have many faults and failures, and I would be the first to acknowlege these faults, I do get sensitive when people come on boards like this and call bus driver's lazy because there bus didn't turn up. People who while waiting for there bus seem to imagine the bus parked up somewhere while the driver sips on a coffee and reads a paper, The 270 is one of few buses operating northside today, add to that the traffic situation today and I find it hard to believe the driver is at fault here for being late.

Im talking about today, not last week or whenever you seen the 270 hold back for the 70, I find it hard to believe a driver on a route with 30 mins running time would hold back 15 mins on his last run (19.00).

But anyway next time it happens phone the depot and report the driver, Nothing can be done about the driver doing this unless management know about it.

Im getting stressed now maybe too, Ive had a long day between DB complaints dept here, that me and meenie are running single handedly since Sickie was chased off during the week, I also had to put in an 11 hour shift earlier on the busiest route in the city. Its just hard for me to believe sometimes that not all drivers are like me, haha....I suppose your going to get a few bad apples in every Job, But please do phone the depot and let them know, there may be another reason behind it or you could be right, either way the only way it will change is by people contacting them.

DB complaints dept now closed.
    Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

this is to Solitaryman666 reagrding your post at 00.33 today. all the local routes that operate from blanch s/c are monitored. you have an ordinary inspector and a chief insepctor who constantly keep an eye on things up there and regularly call buses to see where they are,how late they are etc. i've seen this been done.
    also working for dublin bus is like reading a large book. there are so many rules,so many different ways of doing things.
    what you people might not know is sometimes a driver is asked/told to hang back. that is ,if he due to leave the s/c say at 19.00 as a 270 as Solitaryman has said ,this driver could've had a problem with his bus, could've been asked/told to hang back till 19.15 instead of 19.00 there are a whole lot of reasons why this driver didn't operate at 19.00 and it's not because he was drinking coffee. or quite simply he could've been on a late break because he's been running late all day .i've often had my break on buses because most times you dont get ur full break, you might only get 30 mins break in a full days work.
    no driver would hang back that long.

i've often been asked as have many of my colleagues to hang back.
    where blanch area is concerned it's a matter of when they arrive there.
    not one service operated out in blanch/castleknock area operates on time.
    these include 37/38's/39's/237/8/9/270 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

Very unhappy with Phibsborough this morning, going past bus stops pretending they are full on the 39 when I can see seats is not on especially when it was the last bus for a while because the next lot were the Euros. Obviously I could wait for another bus which was a pain but if it happened on another route it could mean an hours wait with the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

The Ballsbridge routes are being swamped at the moment. Apparently all the 7s are full and not picking up anyone south of O'Connell St in the mornings. 45s aren't faring much better past Trinity. I can only imagine what Blanchardstown is like without all the euro 39s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

I have no problem with buses going past full if they are actually full, but when there is at least 7-8 seats free downstairs and plenty of standing room they should be stopping. The 39 I got on today went past a few stops with the driver gesturing he was full, there were at least 12-13 seats free in front of me on the top deck however with nobody standing downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

bk how many jobs are there where you start in one place finish in another then have to travel back 11 or so km to your starting point to pick up your car.
    we do NOT get paid for driving into work. your work starts at the approiate time in the garage and in most cases finishes in the garage.
    we do NOT get paid for driving home from work. we like most people are covered under the social welfare end of things should we be injured while travelling to/from work.
    bk did not say you get paid going between home and the garage, but said you get paid between garage and start/end point of your shift.

If you start in city centre, do you start getting paid when you arrive in Harristown or only when you board your bus in city centre?
    If you end in city centre, do you stop getting paid at that time or when you get back to Harristown?
    I have no problem with buses going past full if they are actually full, but when there is at least 7-8 seats free downstairs and plenty of standing room they should be stopping.
    Please report this to the garage. Ideally follow up in writing. It was mentioned earlier that management/inspectors don't know that this is happening unless the public report it.

again i have to day i dont know how much time if any drivers are given to get from town to harristown. some time tables say that it takes 35 mins from city centre to harristown. in the real world where buses are given right of way etc maybe. but it could take double that amount of time. now i'll pose the same question to all of you.
    QUESTION :
    how many jobs are there where you start in one place finish in another then have to travel back 11 or so km to your starting point to pick up your car.?
    does this make sense to anybody out ther what dublin bus are trying to force us to do.
    this is as far as i know one of the main issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

how many jobs are there where you start in one place finish in another then have to travel back 11 or so km to your starting point to pick up your car?

I will answer you in the form of a question...

How many jobs pay you for this inconvenience?

Again, if you want the support of the commuting public, a strike aint the answer!

• Advertisement

the answer is simple
    NONE.
    so how do we get the support of the public then if we dont go on strike.
    dublin bus still introduces their changes. so drivers will still be starting/breaking and finishing in town and dublin bus get what they want.
    so dublin bus win, they've got what they wanted in the first place.
    it's like asking a huge clothes shop not to go on strike but dont take cash either. so customers walk out of the shop with goods without paying?. same sinario

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Plus plenty of people park their cars at train stations and travel a lot more than 11km to work relying on public transport. Wiithout getting paid for it. It's called commuting. Welcome to the real world.

I have no problem with buses going past full if they are actually full, but when there is at least 7-8 seats free downstairs and plenty of standing room they should be stopping. The 39 I got on today went past a few stops with the driver gesturing he was full, there were at least 12-13 seats free in front of me on the top deck however with nobody standing downstairs.
    I dont think the driver would do this on purpose, At least I would hope not, he may have been told to keep space for passengers further up the route for some reason, maybe a bus broken down and he has to keep space to take some of it's passengers, or sometimes a wheelchair that was unable to get on the bus ahead for some reason, or maybe he just cant see empty seats, and people are standing so he presumes there's none, again phone the depot and they should be able to find out whats going on there. I hope this dispute ends very soon or people will begin to turn on the driver's who are doing there best to fill the gaps.

MOH wrote: »
    Plus plenty of people park their cars at train stations and travel a lot more than 11km to work relying on public transport. Wiithout getting paid for it. It's called commuting. Welcome to the real world.
    We are not taking about commuting, we all do that as it is, we are talking about an extra 11km travel after we have commuted to our workplace. 50% of Harristown drivers live outside the greater Dublin area, many travel 1/2 hours down the M1 to get to harristown, we are taking about the extra 11 km travel after we have reached our workplace, and the scaby time allowance given to us to travel 11km, sometimes in rush hour traffic. It can take up to 90 mins to get into the city.
    Would you be happy to sit on a bus on O Connell bridge and wait 30/40 mins for a driver to arrive?
    Are the labour court experts in city traffic and bus journey times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And again as pointed out to you already, you're given 45 paid minutes to get to Harristown. I'm sure not all such journeys are made at rush hour so stop dragging that up everytime and most of those journeys can be made by jumping on a bus that's going directly back to the depot, probably not even taking the 45 minutes you're given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The average speed of a bus in Dublin is 8 miles (approx. 11km) per hour. In peak times it can be as slow as 4 miles (approx. 5km) per hour. There is no hope of getting from O Connell Bridge to Harristown in 45 minutes.

Jip wrote: »
    And again as pointed out to you already, you're given 45 paid minutes to get to Harristown. I'm sure not all such journeys are made at rush hour so stop dragging that up everytime and most of those journeys can be made by jumping on a bus that's going directly back to the depot, probably not even taking the 45 minutes you're given.
    When your on a bus in O Connell street at 9am waiting for a driver that left harristown at 08.15 and I mean walked out of the depot to the bus stop, not actually left on a bus, the 45 mins includes any waiting time at bus stops, come back and tell me this isn't a problem. Its absolutely ridiculas to run a service based on a driver traveling 11km in 45mins by public transport to take up at any time of the day.

penexpers wrote: »
    The average speed of a bus in Dublin is 8 miles (approx. 11km) per hour. In peak times it can be as slow as 4 miles (approx. 5km) per hour. There is no hope of getting from O Connell Bridge to Harristown in 45 minutes.
    Add to that the time spent waiting for a bus at harristown, Its a farce and the Public are falling for the spin, from the Dublin Bus spin doctor.
    When I joined this company an old uncle of mine asked me did I know what CIE stood for, he told me "come in early" now I know what he meant. Work for free and you will always have a job I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Not it's not, the 40D can get from it's terminus in Tyrrelstown, just a short bit away from Harristown, to Parnell Square in the mornings in that time and that's contending with all the road works going on around Blanchardstown at that time.

Work for free, what a load of crap. You lot would look for extra money if they decided to change the type of steering wheels the buses used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

When your on a bus in O Connell street at 9am waiting for a driver that left harristown at 08.15 and I mean walked out of the depot to the bus stop, not actually left on a bus, the 45 mins includes any waiting time at bus stops, come back and tell me this isn't a problem..
    At what time does the driver start getting paid? 8:15 or 9am?
    I realise that this is not the full issue, but it's an aspect that I am not clear about.

Advertisement