Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselling Course

• 14-08-2006 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Is there job opportunities for Counsellors? Am considering a course in counselling?. I have previously been involved with a mental health support group on a voluntary basis and feel passionate about the field. If I gained a professional qualification, possibly eventually a degree, could I expect to go beyond the voluntary sphere?. Already hold a teaching degree but feel that second level education is too subject centred...rather than pupil orientated. Any advice would be welcome, Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

look for the cert in counselling in NUI maynooth (www.may.ie) there is aslo a 4 year BA course in DBS (www.dbs.edu)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

there were ads recently for Counsellors in the DIT. Salary scale 60 - 80K. Were'nt required to have psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Filan wrote:
    Is there job opportunities for Counsellors? Am considering a course in counselling?. I have previously been involved with a mental health support group on a voluntary basis and feel passionate about the field. If I gained a professional qualification, possibly eventually a degree, could I expect to go beyond the voluntary sphere?. Already hold a teaching degree but feel that second level education is too subject centred...rather than pupil orientated. Any advice would be welcome, Alan

Hi mate, I work as a counsellor for the HSE within the addiction services, yes there is plently of scope to go beyond the voluntary sector, what I would say is go to at least degree level, most jobs as counsellors/psychotherapy look only for diploma level, however, I gernerally won't refer to diploma level. I have some knowledge of the counselling courses in lreland, so feel free to pm me if I can be of any use. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks for your time, each of you who made the effort to assist me. Have applied for a one year Certificate in Counselling acredited by the National Counselling Institute of Ireland. After a further 3 a degree could be obtained...but one step at a time. A few friends have advised me as the economic option to retrain as a primary teacher in additon to my pre-existing secondary teaching qualification. Perhaps from an economic viewpoint they are correct. But I'm going to follow my heart for now and follow the the road for which I have developed a passion..that of mental health...I may or may not be a succesful Counsellor...but I feel the urge to try. Will have to pass an interview before acceptance so any prayers, church candles etc would be welcome! Thanks again all, Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Yung66

Alan would be interested to hear how you get on with your application to The National Counselling Institute. I too am thinking of doing one of their degrees, hopefully on a full time basis next year. While researching a sutable course I was surprised to discover how hard it is to find a good degree course in counselling. There seems to be lots of cowboy associations and companies offering all sorts of counselling courses but no recognisable accreditation. I was pleased to see that the NCII degree is HETAC accredited giving it national and international standing. Hopefully we might get to meet at the NCII next year. PS I have just heard through the counselling grapevine that the NCII have just purchased a new building, to house the colege, in Plassy, right beside UL, and that it will be fully fitted and ready to roll early next year. Looking forward to my freshman year.

• Advertisement

Hi all...sat my interview saturday for a degree in Counselling with the National Counselling Institute of ireland. This would be a 4 year part-time degree at a cost of 3000 Euro per year...I feel I did a good interview...and was told by the receptionist that they NEED most people who were interviewed to be succesful in order attain viable class sizes. They are aiming for 3 classes of roughly 20 students each..and somewhere in the region of the mid-fifties applied...no guarantees as always but hopefully I will be succesful.

I already hold full second level teaching qualifications...however I feel that this could be the start of my real education as it is something I believe in...and am passionate about...teaching isn't bad...can be enjoyable...but I rarely felt a sense of vocation...for counselling I do.

Hope all are well, Alan

Unfortunately my interview was unsuccessful. I was honest...perhaps too honest. I have suffered from and successfully overcome anxiety and panic attacks....and myself attended a Counsellor and a support group...never medication... . To me and many others to overcome these obstacles is a sign of great strength...and I assumed that my interviewer would feel likewise...but obviously he didn't. If I had been dishonest and said less I would probably have been successful. It's a big blow as I am very passionate about mental health...I really wanted to do it. Advised to do a pre-counselling course with same org....very theoretical to me...and have five years third level education already...a one year pre-counselling course and then hope to be accepted ny the same man on the first year of a four year degree...graduate at best in five years???. Do any readers know of any alternative counselling courses?

1 day later..Just spoke to the interviewer directly and he said that only 20 out of over 50 were accepted....that I didn't have a psychology background...and questioned my motivation...but said that I should reapply when I have completed a foundation course....

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Have you considered applying for Educational Psychology? Check out the UCD website for more info: http://www.ucd.ie/education/postgraduate/maep.htm

Thanks, I will view it. Do any other readers know of any recognised Counselling/Psychology courses, ideally which are still open at this stage of the academic year?. A lot of such courses available but often acredited by very remote bodies. I've noticed since my interview that a number of Counselling courses do require completion of some form of Foundation Certificate....If do one I want to do the correct one. Thanks for all your help

Just registered for psychology with Oscail...do 1 module at least...isn't exactly Counselling but that direction...looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 namrod5000

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

I thought the only colleges that offered accredited masters courses were UCC and Trinity? I recently graduated with a degree in Applied Psychology...hoping to get into a masters in the next year or two. I'm currently working as an ABA tutor. I'm not sure if this is the type of experience they're looking for. I know how competitive it is and the huge numbers applying each year so if anyone could advise me on....
    - Alternative routes to become a counselling psychologist.
    - Experience needed
    - Grades needed
    - Applying to England
    - What they're looking for in the interview etc., if'd be much appreciated!!
    Also I'm planning on goin travelling for a year in February...wondering if this will effect my application.

I'd be grateful for ANY advice ye can give me!! Thank

Flynn, I think you are right about accredited Counselling Psychology courses. However there are many institutions of various sorts offering counselling courses. Some may be accredited by universities, often by British universities, others are accredited by organisations such as the IACT or even just by themselves or some dodgy type of organisation......... Filan was asking about counselling/psychology, presumably meaning one or the other rather than Counselling Psych itself.

And Filan - I'm not surprised by what you say about your interview. I would be very wary of giving any personal information of this kind; I don't think counselling or psychology interviewers would be any more inclined than anyone else to look on this in any favourable light. Maybe partly because it's a bigger stigma for a counsellor or psychologist to have (had) any kind of mental problem??? But that's another thread!

On the contrary I know of two people who have had emotional problems, one of whom was actually a patient in a psychiatric hospital, and are now qualified Counselors. In fact I read about a psychiatrist who was himself in previously diagnosed with schizophrenia. It is because they had experienced problems themselves that they took an interest in and I feel have a better understanding of the problems faced by others. They themselves have been there and experienced these problems themselves, and know from experience how they can impact upon lives. Most Health Care Professionals lack this and at times , despite all their training lack understanding and common touch. I feel their experience could enhance their aptitude as Counsellors. And for me my experience is what gave me my passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Here's a good read for anyone interested. It's written by a psychiatrist who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and details her struggle with the condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 namrod5000

This post has been deleted.

Filan wrote:
    On the contrary I know of two people who have had emotional problems, one of whom was actually a patient in a psychiatric hospital, and are now qualified Counselors. In fact I read about a psychiatrist who was himself in previously diagnosed with schizophrenia. It is because they had experienced problems themselves that they took an interest in and I feel have a better understanding of the problems faced by others. They themselves have been there and experienced these problems themselves, and know from experience how they can impact upon lives. Most Health Care Professionals lack this and at times , despite all their training lack understanding and common touch. I feel their experience could enhance their aptitude as Counsellors. And for me my experience is what gave me my passion.
    Hi Filan, I do agree with you......I just think that in the profession people tend to be wary of fellow professions with experience of mental problems. However, one of the reasons for the higher age of applicants is to give people a chance to work through some of their own issues and get to grips with real life as an adult.

I agree, your probably correct

Filan wrote:

Just to add my own thoughts around this topic, whilst I have no issues in relation to a persons background, and feel that it may bring something to their work as therapists. However, I additionally think we need to be careful with this. It is common in the treatment of addiction that counsellors or therapists may have been chemically dependent in the past. However, I do have a problem when it is percieved that they are better therapists because of this, some will be, some won't be. Have worked with a lot of therapists who had addiction issues in their lives, my understanding is the they know a lot about their addiction, but that is it. The person they may be working with is different.

This is becoming an increasing problem in Addiction Treatment, whereby it is percieved that a person in recovery will be a better option than someone is isn't. Here I mean more support worker roles than therapists. IMO its about the level of training and skills that the person has. As we work with subjectivity, we must remember that what worked for one person may not work for another. With saying all of this I have worked with some great therapists who were in "recovery", but additionally some bad ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 redgrave

Hi everyone,

I want to do a Foundation course in Counselling and/or Psychotherapy before next September. I know there is the 10-week, part-time one in Galway and I was wondering does anyone know of any similar ones in other parts of the country. I will be doing a diploma which requires you to have done a foundation course.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Hi, I would like to give my views on this subject. I am currently in my second year of a four-year course with PCI College in Dublin. After starting other courses, and finding out by trial and error, this is the course which is perfect for me. I started the DBS course at one point, and it was too theoretical - not enough practicalities, and/or personal development. For me, PCI has a nice balance of personal development and/or skills alongside the theoretical modules. It is a very time consuming course, but I am very passionate about it, and know that after a long struggle of finding the right course, that this is the one for me.

I think holding yourself back from opening up in interview can be to your detriment, because any skilled interviewer will sense that. I, myself, have been through some life changing experiences, which is why I am where I am now - however, I do think it is important to have your own boundaries on what is/is not appropriate to disclose. I have seen people who over disclose, in a sense of it nearly turning into their egos pushing themselves onto a pedestal, if that makes sense, that sometimes there can be an arrogance surrounding their motivation for doing the course.

Check out www.pcicollege.ie

They start an intensive foundation course in the new year. I honestly cannot fault them - however, like any course out there, they are not perfect, but is perfect for my needs.

Best of luck Filan with pursuing your dreams ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Metal

Hi,
    I Know of a course "Foundation in counselling skills" .It is based in the Limerick Pastoral center on Denmark St.. Registar your interest by leaving name and contact details at the reception and an application form will be sent to you prior to interviews. From what you have said in the thread you will find this a useful step toward getting on the course at U.L.
    The course runs from sept. to may ,one evening a week with a couple of saturdays and one residential weekend. If you live anywhere close to limerick it is worth checking out.
    Probably of no use to Redgrave but may be of use to Filan.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jimmy07

Hi Redgrave,
    There is a foundation course in counseilling in Limerick (www.ncii.ie) that runs for 16 wks - one day (or evening) a week for 3 hrs. I am hopefully starting it this week.It is,however,2 wks into the course so i will have missed out on the first 2 wks. Hope this helps. Check also that your future course recognises this as fulfilling your foundation criteria i.e. the course and college itslelf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jimmy07

HiFilan,you could do a Masters in UL - 3 yr part time but i think its 6600 a year.you do need a foundation course though. I rang them today and the course head was very helpful and gave me plenty of info and advice. He mentioned a few ways of getting foundation experience - 2 were in Limerick,1 shannon and 1 in Carlow. if you need more info just let me know as i cant remember the exact details and do not have them with me

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 chezdee

Hi I have just completed a degree in psychology, applied to Trinity to do a Masters in counselling psychology. I got to the group interview but didn't get to the individual interview. So my plan is to get onto a diploma course in counselling & psychotherapy and reapply to Trinity next year.

I have applied to PCI college, the Tivoli Institute and DCU's masters in counselling. I have been offered a place at Tivoli but they seem to be more psychotherapy then counselling.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has done any of the above courses.

Many thanks

Dee

hi chezdee, you may be better off getting practical experience to get onto the MSc. Spending the year volunteering for Aware, or working in a theraeutic environment might be a better investment if you're sure you want to go down the Counselling Psych route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 chezdee

Hi Julius

thanks for your response. I have been working with
    Aware for the last 3 years which has been great experience. I would like to do more volunteer work but its difficult with a full time job so I thought the dip in counselling would give me some more practical experience and add to my personal development.

I appreciate your advice.

Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 asil

QUOTE=Odysseus]Hi mate, I work as a counsellor for the HSE within the addiction services, yes there is plently of scope to go beyond the voluntary sector, what I would say is go to at least degree level, most jobs as counsellors/psychotherapy look only for diploma level, however, I gernerally won't refer to diploma level. I have some knowledge of the counselling courses in lreland, so feel free to pm me if I can be of any use. Best of luck with it.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 asil

hi, i have just completed a diploma in counselling and psychotherapy with the ncii. i am finding it difficult to get a job out of it.i have had a few interviews one with the hse which i didnt get. although i have been able to get clients myself.

• Advertisement

asil wrote:
    hi, i have just completed a diploma in counselling and psychotherapy with the ncii. i am finding it difficult to get a job out of it.i have had a few interviews one with the hse which i didnt get. although i have been able to get clients myself.

Out of interest where the interviews for the Addiction Services?

Advertisement