Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think Hemsworth is necessarily taking the blame, just acknowledging his own failures with it and them collectively letting it get out of hand. Waititi has already said he won't be doing another Thor film as he has too many other commitments for the next few years, so it's not like Hemsworth needs to try protect him either. I think they all acknowledge they pretty much just had more fun on the set than people did watching the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

exactly. they move on, as the fans have to.

Some bits were brilliant, some bits were a disaster.

Personally, the bit about "your arm is probably in Valhalla", floored me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Giancarlo Esposito is joining the MCU although we don't know as which character yet (it's not Prof X).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Marvel Will Release No More Than Three Movies and Two Shows Per Year, Bob Iger Says

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

What a non committal bullshitty statement from Iger, as bar the backlog release from covid in 2021 this is what they've been doing in 2022 and 2023. The only marginal difference is that he's scratching one less D+ show off the books.

• Advertisement

While that's true, it's also the case that they had planned for more movies and shows, with a huge slate of them announced or being rammed into pre-production. But it was production issues (not just covid related) and tepid response to movies and shows that meant they had to pull back from their original plans. The goose no longer seemed to be laying golden eggs. At least now with this announcement it seems like they're not going to be trying to go full bore again and will take a bit more time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Won’t change much the brand has suffered massive damage they need to move away from the multiverse but that’s not happening any time soon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,067 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I feel like the descent began when they thought people would pay for Disney Plus so they could do their homework in order to watch the films at the cinema. That was never going to work, especially once Endgame had finished its run.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 45,388 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I just don't get where the multi-verse hate is coming from?

Loki was loved - multi-verse.
    Deadpool is getting great hype - multi-verse.
    Spider-Man: No Way Home - loved/succesful - mutli-verse (nostalgia tbf)

Eternals - no multiverse. Didn't do well iirc
    Shang-Chi - no multiverse. Didn't do well (domestically) iirc
    Marvels - kinda mutiverse, a little, at the end? Didn't do well.
    Thor: Love and Thunder - was there any multi-verse in that? I don't remember there being so.

Ant-Man: Quantumania had Kang, so multiverse, but the story itself didn't really touch on that IIRC.

The problem, imo, isn't multiverse, its poor damned movies with (percieved) poor CGI.

The problem is quality, not theme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,067 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It seems to be all they have at the moment. It's getting a bit much. Dr. Strange 2 wasn't great. Heck, I'd say abysmal as someone who didn't do the premium homework before going to see it.

Deadpool doesn't count. He's always been an irrelevant destroyer of the fourth wall and No Way Home was a beautifully crafted stroll down memory lane. Those are two dreadful examples. Tying the multiverse to weak films isn't going to endear the concept to anyone.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,388 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But thats my point. they are weak films.

Multiverse didn't make them weak. IMO the multiverse element of Strange was the best part of it. Without the Council cameos and fight that movie is a lot less enjoyable imo.

They are making rushed, poorly executed movies. Dropping the multiverse angle isn't going to have changed that, or caused it.

I would moderately disagree. I don't have Disney Plus so I just see what's at the cinema and the multiverse itself adds absolutely nothing of interest IMO. Saying it's the best part of Strange 2 is like saying a headache is the best form of illness.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Shang-Chi is probably the best of that lot atm. Loki was overall overrated imho. So the multiverse might be absent from much of these but that's part of it's failure, that overall failure to build up to a bigger bad etc. Instead we had an inconsistent villain that nobody really cares about which is central to the multiverse issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Never mind Malkovich, Holy **** that's some choice for Galactus! He's a fantastically intimidating actor with massive presence.

In all seriousness on Malkovich, I wonder if they'd have the balls to make him Doom. He'd certainly have the distinct and clear voice that they'd need, while at this stage in his career I can't see him having a problem being behind a mask.

Let's hope he keeps his accent for Galactus. Can't see much reason to go to the cinema if they don't.

H. H. Asquith

With a voice like that I don't even think he can do a different accent, or why you'd hire him if you didn't want to sound like that. He's a great choice for Galactus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

They had him doing a terrible Irish accent in The First Omen… It kept slipping so I'd say it will be his normal accent thankfully.

• Advertisement

I hope not. If Galactus isn't going to butcher "the" then I don't see the point. I got excited over nothing.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 85,766 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Harrison Ford has taken over Hurt's role for Thunderbolts (has that filmed or started filming?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Started either last month or the month before. Florence Pugh, such is the power she has these days, broke the internet with a short video walking to set dressed as Yelena.

Daredevil : Born Again coming in March 2025 and Agatha All Along coming in September

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Does anyone actually want an Agatha show?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

i've forgotten everything about her, except she wanted Wandas power

Good character but no. She basically became an internet sensation and got a show because of it

I don't think anyone wanted it, and it was announced and started in that phase where Disney+ were just announcing new and spin-off shows all the time.

But, Kathryn Hahn is a great comedic and dramatic actor, they have a good supporting cast, and as skeptical as I am, it might be decent.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

She was in WandaVision. Since it was the first Disney+ MCU show and she was a popular character from it, a spin-off for her was quickly announced and has been in the works for a while.

Advertisement