Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With the universe kinda swilling around a little flat and lifeless, it really could do with a directorial shot in the arm - especially now that James Gunn is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

why would he want his name tainted again after multiverse of madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Actually thought MoM was one of the rare highlights of MCUs recent slew of films. Decent RT and Audience scores, not to mention it grossed almost a billion. That’s a win in my book.

There’s a bit of a creative void left now that James Gunn is gone. It’s a no brainer.for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 85,092 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,848 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

My understanding of the story is that these characters will be folded into the main MCU by the end of the film, so there is no 'real' version to come so to speak. This is the MCU's Silver Surfer, which is certainly a choice to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Can't see her pulling off the broken, tortured, and traumatised version most know, given what I've seen if her, but she is talented so who knows.

Apparently she's Shalla-Bal too so very strange decision given character history.

I guess the F4 have slipped out of general public consciousness enough for it to be rewritten

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think that film's flaws can be put at Raimi's feet though; indeed I think the ways the film worked at all are entirely because of Raimi's craft. It was also a COVID production and you could really tell in places how much things were chopped or limited to suit. Bringing back someone like Sam Raimi could be precisely the creative **** in the arm the franchise needs.

Great casting for a film I could care less about. She has been quite the straight arrow performances wise so I guess this Silver Surfer won't be jolly or wisecracking at all. I wonder given how irrelevant F4 has become if the usual types even curled a lip at this announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

To take a positive from it, it should be an interesting dynamic in our modern age to have a woman facilitating Galactus in destroying worlds. It offers something different as well for the team to interact with.

I can see the reasoning behind it, but it's the type of move you'd make when you're at your peak, rather than tumbling down the mountain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I only know her from Inventing Anna on Netflix, where she was completely insufferable in the role, playing a completely insufferable person. I've already been trying to wipe that show from my mind, will have to try harder now in order to give her a fair shot as Silver Surfer.

As for Raimi, there were definitely no issues with his directing of MoM (if anything it helped save the film), but the issues were more down to the writing. If they got him in earlier for the likes of Secret Wars with a decent writer and they could work together from the start, he could be a great choice for it. At the very least, working with Marvel on MoM obviously wasn't a bad experience for him.

As for Raimi, there were definitely no issues with his directing of MoM (if anything it helped save the film), but the issues were more down to the writing. If they got him in earlier for the likes of Secret Wars with a decent writer and they could work together from the start, he could be a great choice for it. At the very least, working with Marvel on MoM obviously wasn't a bad experience for him.

Like I said I suspect COVID enforced some scriptwriting changes when it was realised the production couldn't happen normally, with actors and crews available to the extent any original version demanded. Just speculation on my part so don't know for sure but I'd be shocked if there weren't some drastic rewrites caused by the pandemic.

The idea of a proper director like Raimi coming into the MCU would definitely bring the kind of excitement the franchise is really struggle to enkindle ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I would caution against "<insert director here> will be the saviour of the MCU " talk. After Ragnorok many put Taiki Watiti as the successor to the, at the time, shunned Gunn. Then Love & Thunder happened.

Not so much saviour, as a "freshening" of the franchise's creative direction; by design the directors became this stable of indie nobodies and that was fine when the films were making megabucks and the FX still okay enough. But the lack of any kind of creative vision, coupled with the worsening FX (not the fault of the directors as such, but still partially IMO) has begun to bite them in the áss now that the characters aren't there to paper over the cracks.

Easy to forget "Phase 1" of the MCU was entirely helmed by solid pros and B Tier directors who had experience in this stratosphere of FX heavy blockbusters - and Kenneth Branagh throwing Dutch Angles on everything. Going back to formula would seem like a smart play to me (the storied and succesfull Hollywood producer that I am)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Cotts72

im not familiar with silver surfer lore from the comics but from a brief is she the original SS's partner…could this tie in with the movie that shes working wit Galactus to save him and essentially needs the FF

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

At one point he (surfer) gives her some power cosmic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

No jailtime for Jonathan Majors, just counselling.

What is weird is the prosecutor didn't even ask for jailtime. The victim's spokesperson didn't even seem to have issue with the punishment. Seems a lot of time, effort, and tax payer money spent that no one seems to feel warranted a day in jail.

Wont get him back into MCU but might open the door for other work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I never thought I'd go so long that I'd forget that the MCU even exists. It's only been a few years since Endgame and the MCU is a withered husk of what it once was. With the exception of Deadpool & Wolverine, there's nothing of interest this year. Guardians 3 was great but The Marvels, Dr. Strange 2 and Ant-man 2 were abysmal.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ant-Man 3 was so bad, you've already forgotten it, and are remembering back to Ant-Man 2.

terrible movies though.

(although honourable mention for Gemma Chan, in the Eternals.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thanks for correcting me.

I liked The Eternals but as its own thing, not as the inevitable, vacuous tie-in to the MCU it will become.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wouldn't be sure. I don't think the giant Celestial head sticking out of the ocean has ever been adressed. Seems it might be in the Ed Norton part of the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It hasn't been directly addressed but there has been at least one easter egg towards it.

I'd doubt it gets completely written out and never used in another storyline.

As you mention Ed Norton's part of the MCU, aren't those characters coming back to be a key part of next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Norton isn’t coming back however some of that cast have returned already and others are returning and William Hurts character has been recast after died.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"With the exception of Deadpool & Wolverine, there's nothing of interest this year"

It is also the only thing they're actually releasing this year :) (in cinemas anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think there was previous talk of it being addressed in the next CA film, but because it's been delayed so often that's why there's been so little mention of it. Plus a lot of the MCU stuff since then has been centered around space, Quantumrealm, Multiverse etc. Secret Invasion should have used it as a plot point for why people would never accept the Skrulls or other aliens living on the planet, but to be honest I can't even remember if they did make any reference to it. Maybe they did.

I was looking at the list of Phase Five films on Wikipedia. Fair point.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, to be fair of all the announced titles (given they're straight back to four films in 2025, if Blade ever gets off the ground) it seems to me the one most likely to be a hit. It doesn't mean it'll be any good, but it seems like an easy financial win for Marvel.

The other ones will have a more uphill battle I reckon - even more familiar names like Fantastic Four and Blade have to contend with the declining fortunes of the genre. Fantastic Four at least has the novelty of a period setting, but in Blade's case, the extended development hell does not bode well. And very curious how they position the next wave of Avengers movies - even that's going to be a trickier proposition without the more popular favourites. Without bringing back some 'retired' or dead heroes, the unannounced next Spider-Man IMO is the one most likely to do well. Still every chance they will turn things around before that, but will be very interested to see how the next, non-Deadpool wave of films does as it's clear that audience enthusiasm isn't there any more for whatever Marvel puts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally I think the issue has 100% been quality rather than a general lack of interest.

I think people are tired of poor movies, with limited meaning and rushed CGI crap. If they go back to Civil War era of quality and connectivity/impact, then we see Marvel return. If they continue with Ant-Man level quality or Strange level of impact… the box office dies, imo.

The movies went from being an event - as they were beats in an expanding universe and story to side stories that move nothing forward in a way people can connect with, along with so many teasers and post credit scenes that have gone no where. WHY WAS HARRY STYLES IN A POST CREDIT? Where the fook has that gone?

A few stinkers certainly did not help (though a lot of thoroughly mediocre or worse MCU movies have done fine in the past), though I still think a mix of oversaturation and Marvel actually ending their serialised story with Endgame and struggling to get something new and interesting going in its place has been a major factor too.

But yeah, it's funny looking at all the set-ups they've introduced recently that have either been ignored or may take the best of a decade to pay off at this rate. But hey, they'll involve the X-Men fully at some point and that might work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah I agree with @Mitch Connor superhero fatigue has been coming for about a decade now. Its quality control that is the huge problem in the MCU now.

The post-Thanos pre-mutant period was gunna be rough but christ its just been a total mess.

Advertisement