Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I feel like this will be appreciated here:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeQeSpb9/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Only saw this now. I'm in Waterford so would gladly pick it up and see if I can get it sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Doge

This got me right in the feels watching this, but he has good taste! A super Famicom and a little portable CRT. We should ask him to host the next Beers, any excuse to visit Japan! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah jaysus haha, right in the feels too.

There are unfortunately a lot of lonely dudes in Japan. A lot of them don't really have friends and definitely don't go near western tourists, it's actually really frustrating if you're into meeting people while away.

I did a bit of a group tour for a few days while I was there in October and ended up befriending the tour guide, dude my own age who grew up in 90s Japanese arcades. Immediately hit it off.

After the trip was over we ended up just sticking with him and getting up to all kinds of antics. Was really amazing tbh. Experiences you wouldn't have there in a million years normally as a westerner in Japan just off the plane.

Still keep in touch now and send packages back and forth full of bits and pieces. I do get the impression though that he's really lonely. There can be something extremely isolating with the culture if you don't tow the line, become a salaryman or are in any way not the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Doge

Ah that sounds like a lovely experience o1s1n!

You must have got the proper Japan experience rather than a touristy one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It was unbelievably lucky to be honest! There's a real culture of not wanting to bother people so nobody really engages with folks they don't know. Couple that with the language barrier and you can get a bit lonely as a tourist. A lot of the time you actually feel a like you're being put in the 'gaijin corner' away from the regulars in restaurants and bars.

To go from that to suddenly having a nice Japanese person with great English to talk to, and not only that but really eager to bring us to places well away from tourist traps was pretty magical.

As to be expected, he absolutely massacred me in every Street Fighter 2 game we played (and I'd been bloody practicing my CE game before going away!)

Advertisement