Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

CRT madness!

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭ The Last Bandit

Ya mines got a Sanwa 31Khz monitor as well but just using regular mame/retroarch on it, think there is some tweaks to the usb settings for lower latency but thats about it.

Using Attract-Mode with basic layout as the frontend, nice and simple to use and looks great on low res screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ 80s Synth Pop

Has anyone here ever used a crt rejuvenation kit and lived to tell the tale?

There is a German guy showing how it's done here with astounding results:

If someone has one and knows how to use it I'd pay for a visit to do a few old hantarex tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭ Jack burton

I think the guys at level up might have one of those kits? I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ dav09

Yep there's one down there, it's not mine but definitely useful piece of kit I'm sure you could probably use. Never used it myself as I am useless when it comes to CRTs (other than taking chassis in and out and adjusting them).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭ o1s1n

They're fascinating devices, I'd love to learn how to use one myself.

Nice little write up on one here, check out the before and after pics.

https://blog.timowens.io/crt-rejuvination/#:~:text=Electrons%20come%20flying%20out%20of,combinations%20of%20those%20three%20colors).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 33,892 CMod ✭✭✭✭ CiDeRmAn

I collected a rare beast of a display today.

It's a JVC 14" CRT.

No fancy Scart or AV ports, only an RF.

And it is NTSC/PAL and SECAM compatible!

So, this should mean I can connect the likes of my US Pong console and the Japan only Nintendo Block Kuzushi console and they will work perfectly fine.

Fingers and toes crossed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 33,892 CMod ✭✭✭✭ CiDeRmAn

Seems like there is a shed load of interference in the bands the Japanese devices use via RF.

Not sure how to clean that signal up.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭ o1s1n

Have you tried moving it to another location in the attic?

Not as yet.

When you turn the console off you can hear radio stations!

But Kerb and I were playing Block Kuzushi on the TV and it was fine, nothing like as crisp as a PAL signal but it's okay.

Kerb thinks the length of the RF cable is also making it act like a radio antenna, just making things worse!

Finally got my Sony BVM 2016p back last night.

Its unfortunately dead as disco. There's a short somewhere the guy I gave it to said but he didn't have any older equipment to fix it.

So now do I get it repaired or just sell it for parts or repair?

Its a shame because it's a very low hour tube. I think I played about 20 minutes of virtual Bart on it before it blew up. It's the same one I bought from o1s1n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭ Inviere

He said there's a short somewhere between the transformer and the flyback I think he said.

It popped and released some magic smoke when I got it. Screen would turn out. Glow to a bright white and then cut out again.

Advertisement