Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Jesus, wow, thanks a million for those posts. Great amount of stuff for me to go on, chimes exactly with what I've been (confusedly) getting a sense of using them. Not going to try and touch anything for the moment as I'm on some streak and just get back to enjoying them and watching out for these kind of things before anything else.

I've decided I'm not going to my grave without unboxing a least one NOS CRT. That's it, the only life goal I have atm. Maybe somewhere there's a factory full of them as well, just shelves and shelves of them sitting there waiting. Opening it up with the styrofoam around it, the static popping off the screen as you take off the plastic, nary a fingerprint on the casing. Pure and untouched...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Pro tip, if your crt is making noise just turn up the volume 👍

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's pretty much the policy of most Vectrex owners!

Tbh, I think CRT madness may be a genuine thing because the last couple of weeks I've been like a ffffuuuuuu...Got scared straight today anyway, never having a day like that again 🙄 What an incredible waste of time and effort, if I'd have done nothing I'd have ended up where I am now anyway, with my lovely Trini and little champion bin-find Panasonic. I don't deserve them 😞

No more madness from me, just good, wholesome, three-way fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

tell me more

• Advertisement

Ah just me being a...Spent a full day and two round trips frantically driving around thinking there'd be a professional monitor at the end of it, that I'd 'ingeniously' discovered I could just stick a cheap aftermarket RGB card in. No crock of gold at the end of that rainbow, just...failing at adverts.

So no more madness for me. Not even when changing the Sony's position from North-facing to South results in a quite noticeable image tilt! Not today Satan, I'm madness free from now on.

Just a quick pick up today as three is the magic number and that's me good til I figure what I want and what it should cost. Not sure if PVMs/BVMs are really for me now but I shouldn't judge them on the one I saw I guess. Got a bog standard (just how I like them) Philips 14 inch but still very bright and insides look in great condition, price was right (free!), and is much appreciated.

Video draining colours as usual but there's the lads, 3 stallions. More than enough for the moment (plus I need to be getting at those bowls regularly 🤨).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

@Mucashinto i think this whole thread is just for you :) CRT Madness :)

We all have the itch. There's no cream for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The only cream is more CRTs 😁

I'm trying to set up a bit of a 14 inch CRT gaming nook in a wardrobe at the moment for my SNES. Kind of been missing that 'small CRT on a desk' experience.

What I was thinking about doing was buying four IKEA Helmer units and putting them in a line on the bottom of the wardrobe.

I used to have one and SNES cartridges fit in the shelves perfectly. So I'd say you'd fit a few hundred games in four of them.

Probably then fit two CRTs on top. (Maybe in can in fact be a SNES/Megadrive nook?)

Haha, I had noticed alright. I was half-hoping people would get annoyed with me posting bad pics & videos of my inferior sets and throw up their own tbh! Then I'd get to look at them 🙂

I've tried talking to people in 'the real world' about these, twice now. Tried a different tack each time...Not going to do that again, the look they gave me 😞 Think the neighbours are beginning to notice now as well, can see the curtains twitching. Last pickup I did the old 'yawn & scan' to make sure the coast was clear before scurrying in with my find.

Madness abating now I think though, just love and appreciation remaining ❤️📺️

I've a load of 14" sets and they have a certain charm to me in that size. Using one for TATE for the moment which is definitely too small but somebody had thrown this little guy in the bin. Savages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was going to monitor someone yesterday, not as satisfying with an led though

Ah this may be relating to me obviously. I have been bombarding this forum with tedious posting recently, so apologies, poor form.

Glad to see that was picked up by someone, genuinely thought it was heading for the skip which would have been a crying shame for a 20inch set. And then someone offered up the same size for free on the weekend also. Very, very cool thing to do, great weekend for the CRT ecosystem. (Not sure if anyone ended up getting Mary from Galway’s Panasonic set in the end either?)

I certainly don’t want all the CRTs, but I’ll definitely take any 4:3 set that looks like it’s headed for the bin atm. Much better if they end up with proper use cases though. I’m guessing now soon the next wave of available ones will be coming from collectors mainly, all the friend/family/work who ‘have one of those at home’ are probably pretty much exhausted surely? 

Otherwise I’ve been using a CRT monitor to play 480p and up and it’s fantastic as you’d expect in a lot of regards but I can see now a high refresh/high resolution offers a lot as well with modern games so maybe it’s largely retro gaming where the CRTs will shine for me. All new to me tbh but don’t need to tell you lads obviously, something about 240p CRT on games that were designed for it…just magic.

Regardless…tl;dr less posting from me.

Post edited by Mucashinto on

Master of the Universe

I find it rather interesting, the 'friend/family/work colleague who ‘have one of those at home’ supply should have dried up a decade ago but it's still going strong. Also seems to be a never ending supply of them still popping up on the likes of adverts.

I've seen a lot of folks hoarding CRTs 'for the future' (particularly when they first start collecting them) but at this rate I'm fairly sure they're going to outlast us. Seem to be a lot more enthusiasts trying to keep them going nowadays too.

Well, should I kick the bucket there's an attic full of CRT displays in my house...

Kerbdog will probably get their first though

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Lads, any suggestions for how to go about getting a PVM/BVM? I never see any posted in the local area. I have wanted to get one for years but never did.

Go on Adverts and search for either, then save the search with an alert, it'll let you know when one pops up.

You'll have to be registered with them though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

They're still coming up for sale or giveaway from careful owners, but there are fewer turning up at the dump, and the men who work there could tell me recently that they get very few of the "older type" nowadays. But I suppose the people who dump things were always going to dump them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I went to the dump at Ballymount to check out the CRTs a while back and they have signs up telling people to leave them alone. Asked a few chaps there and they told me I couldn’t even take a look.

Next time I have a TV for sale I'm definitely going to run a test pattern while taking photos. Doing that seems to increase its value by about €200.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I see it's sold now, wonder what it went for?

Not sure on the price but it's potentially one of the last bigger 4:3 29 inch Trinitron CRTs you'd get in Ireland. Made in the early 2000s so just before everything changed over to widescreen 32 inch WEGA models and the likes.

There was one on adverts not too long ago for about 50 euro if I remember correctly. Shame you can't search sold listings anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Really annoying they have removed sold listings - if you need to go back and check a listing of something you bought, you are now outa luck :(

The offers were for the asking price. The first two were from newly-registered users or users with little or no feedback history, so I'm not sure exactly what's going on and it's probably best not to speculate.

The Adverts sold listings were one of the best places on the internet to find photos and details of old TVs along with model numbers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm not privy to any other info either, but a few here (including myself) can vouch for the guy. He's a CRT guru, and very very helpful to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah same, no info on this other than the guy is above board and I picked up a PVM at a decent price a couple of years back from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

its great that the is a guy fixing stuff and offering the service fro repairs ,but its still gouging a bit on the price of a bloody old tv but look if someone is paying it who knows anymore !😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Have to agree, TV would want to have been fully serviced and recalibrated before it worth anything near that 1/2 that price. Rub down with Mr Sheen isn't enough...

Master of the Universe

Decided to built a hidden SNES CRT gaming station in a wadrobe over the weekend 😁

I've everything in the living room running through a Retrotink but still missed that little 14 inch CRT experience. Also had a 14 inch PVM I wanted to do something with.

The IKEA Helmer is a great little drawer unit for this sort of thing. Can fit 100+ snes carts in a relatively small space.

Tempted now to get a second one for another 14 inch CRT and a Megadrive to go beside it.

• Advertisement

lots of monitor info on here, lots

Advertisement