Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

There's nothing special about the tube, as far as I know, but finding a match for the likes of a 68cm Toshiba dual-sync tube in a TV will be unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I had an ebay alert set up for a CRT Rejuvenator the past few months. The one I was looking for was the "B&K Precision Dynascan 467" based on the research.

Many sellers list it as a "Tube Restorer" by the way and not a rejuvenator.

$250 quickly rose to €480 with shipping, customs and the weak euro (it really is CRT Madness)

The green stick of death degauss tool was scary to use (lots of forehead sweat) but I have a feeling using this is going to be worse. Time to update my will and check the life insurance before it arrives. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow, fair play on spending such a chunk of change - be interesting to see how you get on with it!

The weak Euro really is a killer at the moment, has completely stopped me buying anything in from the US. Was tempted to take advantage of it though and send off a few more bits to Heritage Auctions as their auctions are all in dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So after posting about that new CRT on my Instagram one of my friends who words in a recycling center asked would I be interested in selling crts he gets in. Told him I'd ask around and he messaged me back today saying he got 2 28" 4:3 crts today.

Like would people here be potentially interested in some cheap crts?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

Depending on condition I would have been if I had any space left 🤣

• Advertisement

A rare beauty up on adverts.

42 inch CRT RP TV.

Master of the Universe

Gorgeous little vintage Sony Trinitron Profeel type monitor from the 80s with scart input.

Edit - it's actually 20 inches, not as small as it looks in the photos.

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/design/gallery/KX-20HF1/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Björk Teardown of Sony Trinitron TV & PCB (1988)

Collected this today from a friend fitting out his new shop..was in use for camera CCTV until last year or so

Have it cleaned up and works perfectly. Wonder if there's a way to RGB mod it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

"Wonder if there's a way to RGB mod it?"

In theory, yep. Its using a TDA8474A video processor which has an RGB input and RGB override, so you could tap into that and reprogram the the video processor over its I2C bus - something similar to what was done with those JVC monitors recently.

So it's possible but probably not worth the hassle. Slow morning in the office :)

• Advertisement

That's all I need to hear 🤣

Honestly there's a lovely picture out if it as is. I'm a vendor at a convention next month so I'll be bringing that up have a little retro setup on it to play

Hey Jack, if your buddy has a few 25inch crts ill buy them. How much is he looking for?

Doing some refurbishment over the weekend here and 2x of the xenon cabs have tube issues. One has bad burn and the other has chips in the glass. Could be lucky and get a matching tube for a tube swap.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm also on the hunt for x2 17" tv/monitors, ideally broken ones. I want to use the shells for the NoS arcade monitors I got from the marketplace a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 itsmecurrie

Nothing like another Facebook marketplace freebie. Crisp 28" Daewoo.

I'm thinking of housing this inside a jamma cab I'm working on as I've the frame for the previous CRT (also 28").

Anyone any experience using on of those jamma to scart adapters? Do they do the trick?

Master of the Universe

Years back I had one that took RGB from the Jamma edge and allowed you to plug it into a scaler. I then had the scaler outputting VGA and connected it to a PC monitor. (You can get scalers to output via an RGB socket instead)

If I remember correctly it was this from Arcade Forge:

https://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Jamma-Adapter-fuer-cga2vga-scaler-PCB::70.html

You could take the tube out, get a compatible chassis and mount in your frame.

In fairness I do have the original chassis so could try to find a match (i'll need to figure out what I'm looking for) or could try and bridge some of the damage here and see what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Looks like you are missing a chunk of components along the bottom edge of that board in the picture. If you wanted to replace the chassis, look around the board for a model number. Or, if maybe if you have the CRT info you might be able to find a compatable chassis that way...but you are taking a punt on the CRT being good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yikes i wouldnt even power that on. What model is it?

Looks like a hantarex mtc9110 or mtc9000 chassis? You should be able to pick one up for €100 on ebay or joao (pinballaction) on the ukvac forums.

• Advertisement

I had this saved as a draft since the last time I posted here

Just an update on the free 28" Daewoo with the jamma to scart adaptor I got from Smallcab online. It works. It auto switches into AV1 which is great. So looks like this might just all work. I need to figure out how to get rid of the AV1 external overlay message. I assume a universal remote but will it persist once powered down *scratches chin*

I was ordering a few bits from arcadexpress.com and seen they had these in stock, so grabbed one just to have it.

Has anyone actually used these degaussing wands/sticks? I don't have a CRT with an issue that this will fix at the moment. But I was wondering do they actually do a good job when the time comes?

Master of the Universe

They do work but they break really easy, have been known to melt/potentially catch fire if you leave them on too long so be careful with it!

Definitely worth keeping an eye out for a proper technicians wand instead.

There were a rake of them on ebay about five years ago for a tenner each, I still regret only buying the one till this day!

Edit - one going cheap in the UK, might be worth a punt

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/275583135838?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=5282-175127-2357-0&ssspo=onP3YDVgT9-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=SrtHZ1PJRcm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Post edited by o1s1n on

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spooch

Howya lads, apologies if this post should go elsewhere, I've a pair of decent sized CRTs that have been gathering dust for a while, free to a good home if someone would be willing to take em off my hands.

The Bush works fine, picture might be a little dark, I haven't fiddled with it, and has the remote included and all. The Sanyo however is being a bit of a pup and is not displaying any picture, red power light on the front comes on but no display. One of ye might find some joy/luck it getting her to work. Would prefer someone to take both together so I can be rid of them.

Based near enough to Cork City and as I said, free to take away provided you can collect. Some pics below, will get a pic up of something running on the Bush if ye need proof

Master of the Universe

Well this is interesting. Some of you might remember the LG 'Retro TV' that was made around 2010 with a CRT inside. They were only produced in Korea and were impossible to get.

Well so we thought, I was browsing an Egyptian ebay seller as he had some interesting bits and see he has one of these LG Retro TVs for sale.

Incredibly expensive, but the back has 'Made in Egypt' printed on it. So looks like they weren't only produced/released in Korea.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125578060854?hash=item1d3d092436:g:BtQAAOSwnIpjVtqv

Just spotted this person on Adverts , seems to fix mainly PVMs.

Weeb_Labs

I picked up a PVM from him a couple years ago. Sound chap, he's on YouTube as well (@WeebLabs)

He used to be called Haru-tan on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've fired him off a message there, need x2 crt's looked at. Fault finding/diagnosis of issues with these is an art in itself. I'm grand with replacing components, but the real skill is working out what the problem is

• Advertisement

Great to have an option alright

Advertisement