Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The EV database specifies the cold weather figure estimate is based on -10 degrees. That's not anywhere near what we experience here in the winter. Secondly, unless your origin and destination are within minutes of a motorway, the combined figure would be more accurate.

And finally, the need to not charge on the road is almost phobic. Maybe there should be a Latin name for it. Communisrepleophobia perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ok so what range would the kona you linked have in our typical winter at 120kph.
    Is the EV database speed based off 120kph?

origin and destination in most cases would be close enough to motorway/national road exits.

As previously mentioned public charging would be a no no for me until the infrastructure improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭HBC08

Very easy to say the whole charging thing is overthought when you have the option of a home charging point.

Somewhere between 25% and 30% don't have this option.Im in this rather large cohort myself so will never be looking at an EV.

Its also the same reason that ICE will never be banned or taxed out of existence as things stand.

Down the line that may change,if for example they invented some sort of wireless charger etc.Wont to happening any time soon.

They base the highway speed at 110kph.

But the real problem here isn't the range, it's the misapprehension about the public charging infrastructure. If you're travelling mostly on motorways, there are multiple options available to you. And it's not as if it's even a mystery. Most of the apps let you know in real time what the availability is.

Here's Kinnegad Plaza right now. Four units free and another 1 nearby.

So the range would be less at 120kph.
    How much less do you know?

It’s not a mystery where the chargers are tbh, I know how to use the apps.

I just want a vehicle, ICE or EV where I don’t have to stop on every return journey of 350-400kms which I’d have to do on the Kona you linked.
    That's not that hard to comprehend now is it!

• Advertisement

It's not a comprehension problem on my part. I already coined a word to describe your phobia.

You say it's because you don't trust the infrastructure, but when I show you it's well capable of managing the load, you're back to 350-400km without stopping. Yawn.

lol! 😂

I don’t think you comprehend that the loan doesn’t tick the box for me as I don’t want to rely on the public charging network.
    I can’t really make that any clearer.

Maybe you should get your story straight

As previously mentioned public charging would be a no no for me until the infrastructure improves.

This is so boring. Round and round in circles. Why are you actually here?

Anyway, that's enough for me. Bye.

Strange.

I stated that at the outset.
    Best of luck now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what does improved infrastructure look like in your mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For me I would take the likes of EV database worst case scenario (winter highway) and knock a further 10-15% off, and that's my realistic motorway range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm the same. cost of fuel was secondary to other issues. To the point I've not bothered changing my electricity plan yet. Only use the ICE when the EV isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grennscreener

I find it pretty funny that we are in a market where a most hybrids and plug in hybrids cost more to buy than a model 3 tesla.

*note I'm looking at cars for my mother who wants shot of her manual astra. She's not ready for an EV but likes the idea of a PHEV and needs an auto gear box. Looked at kia, Hyundai & Stelantis cars of about astra level and they're all more expensive than a new model 3. We live in strange, strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ir3

I didnt say charging, I said changing.. As in changing from ICE to EV. If you cant home charge then EV is not for you in my opinion so as I said thats not difficult to work out for me. I have little to no interest in the green aspect of things, dont buy into it one bit, just think of EV as a fuel source and weighed up the pros and cons in the same way I would weigh up the pros and cons of a petrol car versus diesel. For instance I also own a Van and Racecar and dont want either of those to be Electric as wouldnt feel it would work for me. There seems to be an assumption by some people on here that all EV drivers are greenies, not the case for all of us so I have no interest in taxing anything, I pay enough of my fair share already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭HBC08

Apologies I misread your post.

I think your viewpoint will be the majority one going forward.The early adaptors all have their EVs now so what's left is the rest of us....the vast majority.

I'd be in the same boat as you,I'd get one if I wanted it but like about 1/3 of the population of the country don't have the option as currently I can't have a home charger.

There are other factors for me (and i presume others) cost,don't like the look of most of them,range anxiety etc that will also prevent people from buying an EV.

Fwiw,the Tesla is one of the very few (non supercar) EVs i think look nice,i wouldnt be a fan of the interior,however these things are subjective of course.

Thanks elm that’s good advice.
    In the case of that kona that brings the range down to about 234kms max before having to find a fast charger to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭sh81722

Only if you drive it at the top speed everywhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dublin to Belfast and back. Done it in the Niro in December with the same 64 kWh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

next time you make a typical trip reset the short term trip computer and check your average speed at the end, you might be surprised.

That's nuts. The EV database uses -10 degrees for its winter figures. We get that once every ten years for about a week.

Friend of mine has a Kona since 2019. He's got as much as 450 out of it in the summer and averages about 425. In the winter he says 20% loss on summer range is an accurate estimate.

But it's no use to somebody who suffers from communisrepleophobia. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

In my 20 year experience of driving petrol and diesel cars I'd suggest you time your next trip to a garage especially on a motorway.

By the time you've queued for a pump, stood there filling the tank for 2 mins as assuming you're filling up your 60litre tank at 30l/min, walked to shop, queued at the till and walked back to the car it's a lot more than 2mins. That's without going to the toilet or getting a coffee. For your 350-400km trip (assuming you need to stop at all) the car would be charged enough before you've even made it the toilet.

Can't speak for others but in 5years I've never had an issue with public charging being full or broken.

As your trip is only 400km you'd only be adding a couple of kWh at the public charger, maybe 4 or 5 Euros worth.

All

Did you include having to get into your car and drive there and then drive back home vs 10seconds to plug in at home. All that effort for a measly 500km of range. At least with the self service (only ever seen one of these in Ireland) you wouldn't have to take the kids out of the car seats and put them back in after queing in the shop.

250km in the wet at -15C at 120kmh continuous according to Tesla Bjorn.

345km in the dry at 25C, at 120kmh continuous (100km longer than any stretch of 120kmh motorway in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Interesting, so it's in its way infancy.

Cars are mandated for all new chargers. Which loads will be left with nothing unless retrofitted (which is unlikely). Hence Tesla's SuC with no payment whatsoever wins for years to come. It's gonna be years before the rest of the lot come close to it in terms of UX if it depends on the CPOs & legacy auto tocooperate and nothing is mandated by law. Maybe something will be agreed on the EU level just like cards and AFIR.

And yes, clutching at straws is where we're at now on the adoption curve. The next phase (early majority) is going to be much more difficult than the previous one. You don't want to keep any straws to clutch if you want to progress this case as the government or the carmaker. Yet a lot of straws are left in the place.

I call BS on "horror stories". It's not true.

I've never had or witnessed a horror story related to charging.

100% this. Nobody posts about 'oh yeah I've got a juicy enjoyable charging experience'.

Plus confirmation bias. If you're looking for horror stories you'll surely find them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm beginning to think you haven't read the regulation, every time I answer a concern you have you move the goal post to something else that is also already covered by the regulation. In this case the regulation also requires retrofit of payment card support by Jan 1st 2027 for >=50kW chargers. The only chargers that are exempt are those that provide free charging.

I also think you are making far too big a jump in the claim that people won't move to EVs because of the lack of plug&charge support on some networks. People are used to paying for fuel by card, they aren't likely to be put off by having to pay by card to charge. It's probably the least likely reason for any person to not switch to EV.

Read the ecars charger thread.
    Plenty of people giving out about the charging infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭innrain

On plugshare there are a lot of people giving out that they draw only 11 KW on AC. Sometimes the horror stories you read are not real and they stem from lack of something. Changing to EV means changing a mindset. If you're not willing to change don't do it.

I have 5 years since I started driving on electric and drove over 150,000 km all using public charging. I have not one single horror story to share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have no experience with that specific car (other than sitting in one and deciding the back was only fit for legless people), but my 10% less than the ev database worst case model has held true for me across several EVs from different companies.

There's no point telling someone it will do X km when in reality it won't without managing the range or slowing down. I drive at 120+vat on the motorway as I want to get where I'm going quick as possible. No time for pootling at 110 or less to save range. If I was going to do that I'd charge en route or better yet take one of my classics.

Advertisement