Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd say you'd be better off in 2 years time rolling over into another diesel for a few more years. To pick up the same as you have now wouldn't cost more than 5k, maybe even less?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-insignia-nct-tax-only-2950/36755951?campaign=3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Decent calculations. Just be careful with the residual value, that's very hard to predict.
    EV prices are expected to drop, also the battery tech is evolving fast. This is one of the reasons for FUD too IMHO. It's perceived as a bit risky to buy a developing tech. Car is a depreciating asset. It is challenging to estimate the depreciation for a car tech in a rapidly evolving tech & regulatory landscape. So much has changed since 2018 in EVs, will the change be smaller, the same, or larger between 2024 and 2030? Who knows. Saying that the same applies to ICE in the current rapidly evolving landscape too - who knows what taxes will be put on ICE or fossil fuels in 2-6 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Interesting, I'd like to see that actually in practice on Ionity because supporting a standard doesn't automatically mean the car can actually take the payment itself, it must have SW for that i.e. active user account with a card linked to it just like a Tesla.

But I'm talking more about the UX, not only about the Plug Ang Charge/AutoCharge as per the ISO 😀
    Basically - plug, charge, and drive away, the car does the payment, and no apps or cards are needed.
    Tesla does that on the SuC, ISO or not ✅ Yes, it can't do it elsewhere, but neither can PnC cars do it outside of Ionity.

All manufacturers must provide the same UX by default. Charging must be as easy or even easier than refuelling an ICE car. All the fobs, apps, cards etc are too complicated. Unless and until they can work with the CPOs or at least with their own Ionity and fully implement it they are worse than Tesla in UX.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭sk8board

”now any use case can be catered for by the new market”

If this were even remotely true, we’d all be buying EVs.

Many will claim it’s an education gap and ‘EV fud’, but in reality their use cases are not actually catered for.
    we bought two petrol cars in our house in Jan and March, purely because our use cases were not at all catered for by the new EV market. again its just my own experience, a sample size of one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Perhaps in your case. But with around 60k BEVs in a fleet of around 2.5 million, there has to be a hell of a lot of use cases out there that do work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭sk8board

well obviously - EVs are perfect for anyone with the money to spend and can work with within the range.

the county of registration for EVs reflect the private commuter use case, largely. ie it’s very much disproportionate to Dublin and surrounding commuter counties.

on a related note:

https://x.com/GerHerbert1/status/1785637551744692647

A large increase in imports in April, but only 3% of them were EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what's your use case that required two ice vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,861 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've learnt so much about ICE car sales and what ICE cars people have since I started reading the EV threads.

The money shouldn't be an issue. There are thousands of used EVs for sale on DD ranging from bangernomics prices all the way up to 50-60k. Massive choice in the 10-20k range too, Zoes, Leafs, Ioniqs, eGolfs, Konas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,861 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If someone posted "…I prefer the convenience of 800km range and 3-4min refill time…". do you reckon they bought diesel or petrol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ah I don’t really want to depend on the public charging infrastructure tbh as I’ve heard and seen horror stories- plus it’s a lot more expensive.
    I wouldn’t mind having to do it once in a while but not every trip.
    Just for my own info- the kona has a bit of clearance doesn’t it? As in height off the ground compared to an insignia for example?

yeah I’d say when this insignia breaks (who knows I may get more than 2 more years out of it- equally I may only get 2 days! 😂), I’ll have to see what’s available at the 15k EV price point and make a call then.
    Can’t see many teslas available at that price.

Yeah but as I’ve explained in my posts all at the 15k price point won’t suit anyone doing medium to long range business driving.

Horror stories? Really? The closest thing to horror I've experienced is mild annoyance when the charger I intended to use was occupied and I had to travel another 700m down the road to another one.

I think you maybe looking at that through rose tinted glasses there.

Well that's more than a tad arrogant. Please feel free to tell me where I'm lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Very true. Those calculations are from 6 weeks ago prior to the latest Tesla price cut on the M3. Only update since then was to amend the price per litre for fuel.

I thought a reasonable resale value for a €30k car bought today and sold in 3 years time would be €18k (assuming 50k on clock when bought + 150k added over 3 years = 200k on clock in 3 years time…by then car will be 5 years old).

Even if it dropped to €15k then the next 2 year old EV I buy in 3 years time could in theory be less than the €30k my assumptions are based on as the market drops in sync.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Not lying but suggesting that it's normal to find another charger 700m away is misleading.

Didn't mean to offend but I’ve read of:

people not being able to connect to chargers,

Chargers out of service

Que’s for chargers

Chargers being ICED

I have also seen some of these scenarios.
    I mean just read the ecars thread, thaeres plenty of complaints, I’m not making it up 😂

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Plug&Charge cars can do it outside of Ionity they're just the only operator in Ireland. BP Pulse in The Netherlands support it as do Electrify America in the US. There's other CPO's around Europe that support the standard.

With cars able to support the standard the challenge is on to the CPO's to implement it, vehicle manufacturers can't force companies they don't control to implement something, perhaps regulations can.

All EU DC charge points deployed after April 13th this year have to support payment cards, if someone claims that having to pay for something using a bank card is a barrier to buying themselves an EV then they are really clutching at straws.

• Advertisement

Maybe it was a kilometre. If you have the time, maybe you'd get up Google maps and measure the distance between the Lidl and Tesco in Wicklow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,438 ✭✭✭✭ted1

reading about and real world experiences are too different things. In 2 years and 60,000 km the only negative charging experience I had was in Monaghan. And the morning after a wedding in Castle Leslie. But I believe Monaghan has had some chargers added since.

You don’t hear good stories. Only bad ones,

Yeah, unlike you I don't accuse people of making things up with no backup.

Has it ever occurred to you that people will only be exercised to share their experiences when they're bad ones? For every one of those there's a slew of happy campers who never feel the need to share their experiences.

Mine are as stated. Once had to shufti down the road to the next charger which had both units free.

Last week I went to Leitrim. Probably the worst county for chargers in Ireland. Stopped in Ballinalack for a bite. Stuck the car on the 150kW charger there while we ate, didn't need to but sure it was free and I'd need a charge at some point. The other charger was also free. On the way back both chargers free, but I didn't need to stop.

Indeed that’s possible but in this very website in the ecars thread and other EV threads there are plenty people saying they don’t wanna depend on the public infrastructure.
    Anyway that would be a box I’d have to have ticked by an EV- I just wouldn’t want to be depending on public chargers.

Oh I am. Immensely. Good laughs to be had here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Do you live there? Vastly different from trying to cover a large distance and finding yourself unable to charge out on the motorway network.

Don't be suggesting 700m trips between chargers is as bad as it gets to people doing their research, it can get much worse than that. Doesn't do EV adoption any good. Have to be balanced. Lots of people do run into hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

Ballina town in Mayo in the west of Ireland, a notorious 'underserved' area within this country.

No. I don't. But I know how to use a charger map. And Wicklow Town is a short hop off the M11 when you don't want to pay the eye-watering prices AG charge in Coynes Cross. Or Ionity in Gorey.

And I didn't suggest 700m was "as bad as it gets" to anyone. It was as bad is it's been for me. In other words the square root of feck all inconvenience. Please don't put words in my mouth. Especially when my post is right there for all to see and understand.

And "huge distance" is such an exaggeration in a country like Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As with anything in life people rarely go on the internet to post the unremarkable experience of turning up to a charger it being available, plugging in and going about their business. The overall charging experience for Irish consumers has improved dramatically in the last 18 months, the next 18 months are going to see another big expansion of charging on our major routes.

As to the cost, prices for full reliance on public charging without a monthly subscription are too high to make it practical, but if your manufacturer has the right offers in place for chargers in your locality then it can absolutely work out. There's still a lot that needs to happen and something needs to be done to make it equitable for people who cannot charge from private charge points.

Advertisement