Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

liamog when you say if your manufacturer has the right offers in place for chargers do you mean if you drive a Tesla and live near or pass a supercharger regularly?
    What other manufacturers provide public charging discounts?
    Also it’s good to hear the infrastructure is improving- have they put high powered DC chargers along the M9 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

I have read horror stories of ice car fuel destroying the ice engine within a few hundred metres of the station. So you wont buy ice either then?

Actually your stories don't really meet the genuine 'horror' definition that those ice owners suffered, more a collection of mild inconveniences and complaints you do not believe you have the capacity to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I've read those horror stories about the destroyed engines too. Must happen all the time. Likewise filling up diesel cars with petrol. Or the worst of all, running out of fuel at night and searching in vain for an all night petrol station. It's a litany of horror really. That one happened to me once. Still have nightmares. 🤣

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My M3 Performance will do the 400km but not at 125km/h. 110 yes.
    It done 346km at the speed limit plus vat recently and returned home with 8% left from memory.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

No, the big one I had experience of was when I had the Mini (early '23), I was paying 34c/kWh instead of the eCars rates at eCars chargers and had them close to my apartment, it made the €5 a month membership worth it. There's a few manufacturers that operate MSPs (mobility service providers) some are very good, some are ridiculous and charge you more than the CPO (charge point operator). The most annoying part is that prices are often locked behind entering a VIN so you can't easily compare the prices without asking someone who has a car from that brand.

There are also other MSPs such as Freshmile that people have had good results with, these are at least a bit more transparent. The differences in charging costs and which networks are in the local area make it a minefield, I can totally see why the average person on the street doesn't go beyond tapping their bank card at a charger and paying the inflated ad-hoc pricing.

• Advertisement

And don't forget the ice jeep that reversed into the petrol station shop in Headford in Galway disabling the tills, so no fuel available for the day.

Card machine wasn't working when I had already filled up with diesel at a station once, I had to call in on my return trip later that day with cash. Still suffer from the horrors over that one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BMW, Audi, Porsche, VW all provide discounted ionity rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

"Horror stories? Really?"

That's suggesting they don't exist for people.

They do, real and perceived.

And suggesting they don't won't win friends and influence people that's for sure.

I used to try talk people into EVs, it's a waste of everyone's time if they don't want them. Sales have stalled, only money will talk from now on.

There will have to be huge financial incentives to get mass adoption now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I suspect the money that does the talking is not what most people expect. 2024 is the last year that fleet CO2 emission targets are 95gCO2/km based on NEDC. A target that every single manufacturing pool and sole manufacturer has met. 2025 switches to 93.6gCO2/km based on WLTP which represents a real world 15% reduction.

Anybody who's been on the forum for a while will remember 2019 a year of stagnant EV sales increases followed by a sudden explosion of new models in 2020 and market share increases. It feels like we're seeing a very similar market dynamic. According to the below article as of March '23 only Volvo were hitting their numbers.

2019 also saw a lot of manufactures playing politics and complaining that EVs didn't sell (1% in 2018) but magically shot up when the new regs came into force (5.4% in 2020).

https://energypost.eu/carmakers-must-stop-complaining-and-meet-the-2025-eu-co2-target-like-they-did-in-2020-and-profitably/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

I wonder will we see another so-called market stall in 2029 before the 2030 limit is applied.

Is that the only bit of my post you read? Because it sure seems like it. Doesn't help that you didn't quote the actual post where I said that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭DrPsychia

The availability and speed of chargers in Ballina is shockingly bad considering the population of the area, seasonal WAW travellers, and given that's its a gateway to Belmullet. Only 2x50kW ESB chargers(frequently broken), the rest are pissy 7kW or 22kW chargers(not well maintained), all are poorly located with no toilets nearby most of them or quick and convenient places to eat while charging.

There's only 1 relatively expensive hotel(mount falcon) that I'm aware of that provide chargers for guests.

Ah come on now, Ballina is a very small town. There is no difficulty finding somewhere to eat (or relieve yourself) within short walking distance from anywhere in the town. It has never been a town that receives much investment so not surprising that they are predominantly slower chargers. WAW does not receive much traction north of Galway (compared to the section south of Galway) and Westport is the primary gateway tourist town, not Ballina. Interestingly Mayo Co Co must have foreseen the drop in EV sales as their current draft LAP for Westport identifies only 2 additional charge stations within the town. Seriously. Given the possible tourist developments that may be coming to the town over the next few years this is a fairly miserable effort. That is not going to help the adoption of EVs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭sh81722

VW must have something planned that will sell well and is genuinely desirable for 2025. Also expect a big push to move current EVs towards the end of the 2024 to meet the current quota.

I've been thinking that had they developed a 60+ kWh Tiguan and Golf instead of ID.3/4 they would be in a very different position now. The EVs would blend in perfectly among the ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

If you're doing 350-400km 3 times a week you're looking at around 11 hours (10mins every 1000km) a year of refueling vs 12 hours a year of fast charging for a saving of 5k plus.

Not sure how much you make an hour but 5k an hour would be above the average industrial wage.

Kona would be the cheapest option that would be over 300km of range on the motorway, and probably available for 15k in 2years.

There are Konas right now available for near enough that money. This one has a new battery (probably from the recall).

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-kona-electric-64kw-nct-tax-new-battery/36568569

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭djan

All for a reasonable debate as it's an interesting topic but you have to at least try be fair. What are you doing spending 10 minutes to fuel a car? Takes me 2ish minutes to fill up and pay if paying at pump otherwise an extra minute to go inside. Even when charging at home, if you add up the time it takes to unravel cable and plug it in/out, I'd argue it won't be much different timewise to an ICE.

I agree there will be savings at such mileage but it just leads to a lot of hassle and wasted time having to detour, plan and wait at public chargers which are not guaranteed to be working/free. Some of the public charging also ends up more expensive than travelling by ICE when at motorway speeds so this would slightly eat into the savings in addition to the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ir3

Why is it that in these threads the focus always seems to be that an EV has to save you money, the savings are a bonus to me.. Simply bought an EV as when I was test driving various vehicles such as 2021 Tiguan DSG, BMW 3 Series etc… I felt I was getting a poor return for my money, they were boring and slow with dim witted gearboxes, then I test drove a Tesla and it was a no brainer! 4000km in and I havent even used a public charger… no idea what I have saved or what kms per Kwh it does. We just drive it and enjoy it, and as a family car its been great. The whole thing of changing seems to be over thought by a lot of people, just try one and see if you like it and if it doesnt suit you then dont do it and move on with your life and stop worrying about the people that have switched. Different fuels for different circumstances, its not difficult to figure out which one suits your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grennscreener

I think this needs to be said more. EVs are far more comfortable to drive than any ICE car I've ever had/driven. Its not even close. Its on a par with SD vs HD tv for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,903 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ah stop

going off the road into a petrol station, filling up, putting the pump back, walking into the shop, potentially waiting for a bit to be served is taking the same length of time as putting a plug in?

I'm going to fill up the petrol car today at the local self service filling station (card operated pumps) and time it. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For me I think it's more comparable with analog vs smart phones. Analog phones were great because they had huge battery life but we all moved en masse to smartphones because, despite not even having enough battery for a day's usage in some cases, the functionality is better.

Doesnt stop me admiring the heroic 3210 but I wouldnt use one as my daily phone. Same as my w210, I love it as a classic but it's not a daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Ev fan

Absolutely agree with you. Driving an EV longer term is a very relaxing experience with smooth effortless driving and also I believe a calming experience- you don't need to keep the revs up - you know you have extra instant power if you need it. That along with proven environmental benefits- less greenhouse gases and much improved air quality should provide the motivation for those who can afford to, to switch to electric. Unfortunately for the planet this is going to be a slow process until further nudges combine to reduce the "risk" of switching. Some of these nudges will be...............

• Introduction of faster charging batteries- say 10 minutes (20%/80%)
    • Batteries with 30% extra energy density and 30 % lighter
    • Less need of NMC batteries and more of LFP/LFMP/Sodium/Silicon/semi- solid electrolytes etc. etc.
    • Cheaper batteries and manufacturing scale up leading to EVS pricing close to/ comparable to ICE cars
    • Build out of uniform charging infrastructure throughout the country with strategically placed multi hub electric locations
    • Targeted Govt intervention to accelerate EV take up on an as needed basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,937 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Go into politics with that policy and I'll tell you what I think of it at the ballot box.

So here's my report on the fill up.

First of all I didn't fill up, It was a pay at the pump jobbie and I stuck €60 in. Thought that would be a nice average fill.

I had to queue!!! Arrived at the filling station and three of the four pumps were occupied. The fourth was partially blocked by one of the cars filling and a parked car. Decided to wait. Almost two minutes from arriving to getting out of the car.

Total time from arrival to driving off the forecourt was six minutes. Take off the wait and it would be between four and five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

1. that kona costs €15950 which is more than my budget of 15k but through negotiation you might get it for 15k.
    2. The range on that kona in cold weather at mororway speeds is 275km which is along way off doing a 350-400km return trip without charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

are you including the travel time, there and back ?

Obviously not comparable if you equate the time of 1 petrol station fill up to plugging in a cable at home.

I meant it in the sense that it gets comparable in terms of time used when you compare the 2-3 mins at petrol pump for a range of +- 1000km (depending on vehicle) to having to get cable/unravel, plug in, plug out and put away 3-5 times (also car dependant) to cover the same distance.

This is just for home charging where a couple of charges when out on the road will totally invalidate the "time used filling up" argument.

Fair play for the on the ground research even if rounded to the minute 😜 coming up to refill time for me too so can add to the data soon!

I didn't bother with the stopwatch. Wasn't that important. 🤣

I should really add the time it took to wash my hands when I got home, pump was manky. As was the ground I stood on when filling. Covered in spillage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭eagerv

At least my EV doesn't spray electrons all over me like a recent visit to fill a diesel which air locked..😋

Advertisement