Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options
1293031323335»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

What you could do, is pretend that you are on a smart plan for a month and now with the date ranges compare the 2 costs

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭curioustony

In the app, you can create a usage load profile from your HDF data, then tweak it if you think you can change when you use electricity (herself will not). Then add hot water heating, EV or a battery and solar. It will simulate a year and show comparisons for the different scenarios.

It's fun to see when I start to build credit for winter, but also good to see what happens if I buy another battery, or more panels, or do batch cooking at the weekend and charge a large EV battery on Sunday...

On my to-do list is to add dumping to the grid schedule, as this is a real earner for those that can. Garden is looking better, but still a bit to do there before I submerge myself in android again.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I just discovered EneryPal this weekend thanks to PrimeTime. Really amazing site. Does anyone now if this can be used for commerial buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭paulbok

Have my smart meter install coming up this week, have put it off a few times but going ahead this time.

Are there specific questions to ask the installer when they ring to confirm the appointment?

Meter type needed to allow d/n rates?

Will they upgrade the main supply fuse if I ask? Cost involved?

Is it worth looking for an isolation switch for using solar / battery in a blackout? I believe these are expensive so may not be worth it, though we do get a lot of outages here over the course of a year.

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Haven't sussed out a new electric supply plan yet but I'm out of contract so can pick anyone.

so far, leaning towards either a d/n plan from EI or a smart plan from BG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

I expect these guys do, and only do, what is on the job sheet. It's a like for like replacement, unless you actually ORDER something.

But do remember to replace your CT clamps, and put them the correct way around. Take a photo beforehand.

• Advertisement

No change in fuse as that's a mic upgrade

If you have a 24 hr meter it would be scheduled for a 24hr smart meter (rm107)

If you have a DN, it's a rm108.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭con747

You will need a sparks to fit the change over switch and it depends on how much work is involved as to cost, mine was handy so only cost about €200 off my installer at the time but others have been charged up to a grand! I find mine invaluable because of the amount of power cuts I get, if the wind blows hard the power usually goes here. If you don't want to go on a smart plan make sure you only access the meter data on the ESBN portal because some utility companies have locked people into smart plans when they accessed the data on their platform and there is no going back when on a smart plan.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭paulbok

Request from 24hr to DN usually is done through your supplier.

You can always try!

I am sure this question has been done to death but with the guidance of Energypal I want to switch to a smart meter tarrif but the provider told me we would stuck with it for life then. Is this true in all cases? What do ComReg say about this? Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes it has to be done through your supplier.

The contractors seem to refer to the meters as single register (RM107/24hr) and dual register(RM108/Day Night).

Yup, once on a smart tariff theres no going back. You can be on a smart meter and a legacy tariff. This is what I'm on, smart meter RM108 on a day night tariff MCC02. If you get switched to a smart tariff you'll be moved to MCC12 or MCC16 and there is no switching from these MCCs allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

It would be interesting to see what Comreg might say if you went to change later, as the guy on RTE recently (who I think was representing the suppliers) appeared to indicate that you should be allowed switch back to a 24hr tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Networks have already confirmed this is not allowed. I believe their exact wording was along the lines of that a process doesnt even exist to allow it (now, having worked in the irish energy sector and dealt with networks extranet I know that to be false information but it shows they are not going to let it happen)

I contacted ComReg. They referred me to the Commission of Regulation of Utilities. They said that its not possible generally, but it might be if you issued a complaint and would require a new meter being installed which bewildered me as I dont want a new meter. I am happy with smart meter. I will contact ESB networks.

Advertisement