Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Never that easy, it usually take 100+ phone calls 🤣

Did you actually sign up via the website where you enter your MRPN number and only then you're registered, the initial form does nothing you have to register via the link from the email they send you.

For me I couldn't register until 1 month after SM went in, kept on saying I don't have a smart meter when trying to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WoodpeckerCZ

I have had the smart meter installed because I had the ratchet type meter which doesn't run backwards.

I've stayed on 24h metering until I've installed battery system.

I've switched over to Smart tariff with Electric Ireland (Night Boost) which gives me cheap electricity between 2-4am.

Since it was mid October, I setup the battery to charge during the night (between 2-6), the battery usable capacity is 6.5kWh so it takes about 4h with my inverter to fully charge it, It then waits until 8am to start discharging (that's when the expensive electricity kicks in).

My bill has dropped to half since I've done that.

I also have 2.92kWp solar system installed on my roof.

November bill was €61, of which 30 was the standing charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭samsx

I've been with Pinergy for years now, started with TopUp which suited us at the time. About year and a half ago got Smart Metre installed and decided to go with Pinergy's family lifestyle plan for 2 years with the bill being constant monthly and reviewed quarterly and adjusted accordingly, with reduced electricity from 6pm to 11pm, brilliant, we're all home and cooking, cleaning etc around 6 so perfect. After about 3 weeks got an email from pinergy stating they were changing start time of cheaper electricity from 6pm to 7pm, emailed them that's not what I signed up for but basically told that was it. Roll on 2 months later and electricity cost hikes and bill went from 90€ odd to 152ish per month. Then government credits rolled out and I thought great, bit of relief from the bill. I thought wrong. Still paid set amount each month and credits accumulated on my pinergy account as credit. At the moment it stands at €440 or so and 2 more credits to come. I asked Pinergy if credits could be used against my bill but they said no and when I enquired to withdraw the credit from my account I was told I could but I'd to leave €200 credit on my account. When I said I'd withdraw some of the credit I was told it would take 28 Working Days, which is almost 6 weeks!! I can't understand this to be honest and really angry at not being able to use the government credits against my electricity either at source or by withdrawing them and using them to offset the monthly electricity bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And now they've rewound by about 3 months and are quizzing me on how I signed up and debating whether I'm eligible for the credit.

I'm afraid I lost the rag a bit in my latest email. Told them to stop being so staggeringly incompetent and just get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

That is nutso. Finding no reason to leave EI for the forseable. Straight forward tbh no messing with grants or rates or fit payments. Pity all providers are not so simple and we have true competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭S'

That’s pretty shite customer service. I’ve just joined them a last week. Might switch before the 14day cooling off period and switch to the Energia ev plan. Was with them last year and found them good. No problem paying credit directly into bank account.

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

Well my rant may have paid off. They've come back and apologised, and offered to pay the €100 credit directly to my bank account.

Whether they actually do or not though is anybody's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭con747

That's what I hate about some of the providers, unless you are determined and constantly at them they get away with murder and the customer loses out in the end. Bord Gais is another one you need to go to the ends of the earth to get a resolution.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

You'd need to request a smart plan from your supplier.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

To answer my own question: when a RM108 meter is reconfigured from MCC02 to MCC12, register 1.8.3 (A+T3) is added as zero. Existing registers left as is - which is technically correct as RM108 meter was installed and configured as MCC12 within the same winter. No DST involved.

• Advertisement

€100 welcome credit received from Pinergy at long last. Direct payment to my bank account rather than credit on the bill. Just awaiting €650 from my credit now, drawn down a few days after the credit was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭S'

Has anyone else’s data disappeared from the ESB portal? Would switching from a RM108 smart day/night meter to smart plan cause this?

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

historic data gets wiped as far as i know. it says it somewhere on the site.

EDIT: THIS IS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO ABOVE...

"Switching electricity suppliers can result in smart meter data being unavailable prior to your switch. If you plan to switch supplier, please remember to download your data".

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Yes confirmed by the ESBN and observed by me as well, some BS about privacy if you move house and someone else uses your MPRN but also pointless if you own your house...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yup. I moved recently from MCC02 to MCC12 on a RM108 meter and observed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

ESBN also told me about some issue when moving suppliers. One minute I had data, they wiped it as confirmed, but then it never came back until I called them.

Anyone else missing ESBN smart meter data from the 18th Jan onwards (and most of the 16th Jan)?

ESBN obviously have other priorities at the moment, but I presume they haven't got the data analyst intern out as a linesman repairing storm damage...

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Yup. Strangely the data stops in the middle of the day as if there was some sort of outage.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Grey123

Ah, I got a smart meter on Jan 16th, just logged in today and data only available from the 16th to 18th. I came here to ask if its always a week out of date but seems there is a different issue.

I had a standard day / night meter. The guy installing told my wife it took us this long because they had to get a day night smart meter. I presumed it was a joke. Surely the smart meter can be programed for any hours? I also saw some references about needing to go on fixed rate for a month. surly they would have told us?

There a posts about dn plans not being available in future. I thought one of the selling points was that you didn't need to change to a smart plan.

That being said after I review some data can I change to a smart plan (with same company) before my contract expires. Is there any website that looks at data and find the most suitable plan. I would rather a plan that suits my use that set my usage to plan.

Same here, nothing after the 18th.

ESBN portal is brutal, the data on my pinergy app up is always up to date, it obviously uses the same data but annoyingly doesn't show export.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

sorry if this has been answered back a few pages but is the D\N tariff now dead in the market?.. I'm tempted to switch to the Energia Smart EV tariff (currently on Flogas BWG DN) come March but then I'll be losing my precious day-night tariff forever! 😭

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

woah, that energypal site is excellent, the ability to enter your current tariff and then sort by annual cost if great, looks like by switching to energia's smart tariff I'll be 250 in the red, even with their 24c CEG as opposed to FloGas's 20c CEG, though I'm not basing that on a full year's export! more food for thought!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Data up until the end of the 21st has now shown up, but I'm still missing from 03:30 on the 16th through 02:00 on the 17th.

What happens for billing purposes if ESBN don't receive or lose the interval data?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For billing, the meters are cumulative are they not so should be grand

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I understood that the Day, Night and Peak registers are cumulative, not the interval data, but happy to be corrected on this.

Yeah missing for me too

I'm ok if my import gets lost but not my export 🤣

Pinergy/the providers receive this data and must log it themselves since it looks correct in their app. ESBN also said that when you move supplier and they clear your data you can request it from the previous provider themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Odd question, but I was just wondering is there any particular reason why my smart meter's a different colour to the ones I've seen installed elsewhere.

It's one of those Sagemcom meters, but rather than a blue plastic cover on the front, it has a yellow one.

I assume it's just a different batch or something to do with ESB's fashion sense, but was just wondering if it had any significance to type of meter or size of service or something?

That means its a RM108 (smart day night meter). Once you activate a smart tariff, it is reconfigured and essentially becomes a RM107 (regular smart meter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Ah ok, that makes sense as it replaced a day/night digital meter.

Advertisement