Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Thanks. Ya, it's just the fear of getting into the dreaded smart plan arena where there's no coming back from. It makes sense for my senario and it will make me focus more on getting home PV aswell. Just need to do it and stop pondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

Got my March Pinergy Export email this morning - €132.80 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Had my digital D/N meter replaced by a D/N RM108 (ZS211) Smart Meter yesterday. They also fitted an isolation switch in the meter box.

On the old meter one could see whether the meter was on the day or night rate by means of an arrow pointing to T2 or T1 respectively. Is there a way of determining this on the RM108 Smart Meter. I know that currently the day rate applies from 9 am to midnight & the night rate from midnight to 9 am (8 am to 11 pm & 11 pm to 8 am during winter time).

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

iirc there's a button on the meter which cycles through the T2, T1 etc…

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I dont think there is. You just have to eyeball the counters and see which one is incrementing at any particular time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Cycling through gives the unit usage for day & night. What I'm looking for is an indicator showing whether the meter is recording day units or night units when viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭con747

A piece on RTE's Prime Time about the lack of uptake on them tonight.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Is it lack of uptake of the actual meters or the smart plans?

Eg I'm on a smart meter, but no intention of a smart plan until its worth my while.

I'll let you know around 10pm! I would imagine it's about the smart plans though.

Smart plans. Bottom line they say it's the CRU's fault for not having data access codes for the suppliers. More waffle. Also stated you can go back to a standard 24hr tariff after being on a smart plan.

• Advertisement

Well.. that's downright lies.

As we all know you can't go back to mcc01 once you change.

Most suppliers have a 24hr smart plan, which is not the same.but not all.

The reason why people are not switching to smart plans :

And that's just the standard off the shelf plans no special offers. There's zero incentive to move.

Maybe if night rate was 10 c?

Check it out on the RTE player or on RTE+1 later, maybe I heard him wrong but I don't think so. Most of these lads think people are clueless though so it's no surprise apart from the fact people here actually have a better handle on this than they do.

Youve took the hit so I don't have to.

Had a fella call round one day from SSE, cheapest night rate they could do was 17 something and to be fair to him, he knew he couldn't compete.

(I'm on the community flogas 14.75c night)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭curioustony

It's a shame really. There are plans out there that can save folk money. No way for most to know though as the calculation is complex and the needed data is not normally available. The comparison sites have a way to go on this too.

The ESBN HDF is a fantastic first step, but the 'smart' meter rollout is a disaster of miscommunication and CRU laissez faire.

At least there is a site that will cost the HDF and an app that will let you check out different things that might work for you. Again SHAME on the CRU for not doing this, and SHAME on those that enabled such a useless regulator.

Seems like muppets the lot of them... Must be some competent folk in hiding right?

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

The chap who started EnergyPal.ie was on, he has done more than all the suppliers and comparison websites in his spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

But don't you need to be on a Smart plan to get detailed data. So someone on a 24 hr with a Smart Meter can never use data to evaluate options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Dara Lynott at the end basically just said that you could switch back to a 24 hour smart meter tariff but gave the impression you could switch back to a non smart meter tariff.

No you don't, you can pull your data from ESBN no matter what plan your on. 24hr, DN etc

At least the smart time of use plans dont have the DN standing charge penalty that made it needing to use a lot of night rate

I sent him an email to clarify what he meant but won't hold my breath waiting on a response.

I think I would have enjoyed pitching my app on the same forum. Free, open source Android app that costs HDF, and simulates scenarios with solar and EV, based on personalised data, all on your own phone...

I did ask the CRU what was involved in getting registered as a comparison tool. No answer. Then I found the criteria.. Pretty much excludes a non commercial entity. And assumes an online approach, which I disagree with in principle. Too many ways to abuse folks data. And to do this well you need folks data!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I got my D/N replaced in November. The is no indicator to tell you which tariff is in operation at that point in time. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Waste of time

The language used for talking about these plans is too ambiguous, Sarah put it to him you couldn't change back to a 24hr plan/rate & even providers sites are stating this. He replies that's wrong you can change back to a 24hr rate, which isn't a smart/tou plan.

No mention of MCCs or anything like that, probably a bit confusing for them to get across. If they even knew about them?

Did you not notice your one doing the report even made a mess of it? The bit about suppliers telling her you can't change back because of industry & market rules, then the cru & esbn saying there's no regulatory or technical reason they couldn't. Thought this is interesting, but then read her own article on it on rte website which is a lot clearer. that they just meant can offer the smart 24hr rates/nothing forcing them to charge different in the time periods. Again nothing on MCC or what most would consider a 24hr plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

What's your point, or are you just trying to be smart?

Well here's the response for all it's worth. The question asked was "you stated you can revert back to a standard 24hr plan from a smart plan"

"Thank you for your email regarding switching to a 24-hour plan.

Suppliers offer a 24-hour tariff to customers who have enabled smart capabilities (which happens automatically once you sign up for a smart tariff). This smart tariff is a ‘mirror’ of the standard tariff; but you will receive further insights into when you are consuming your electricity. You will be billed a fixed unit rate throughout the day, as you were on a standard tariff.

This is a step for customers who are interested in getting more out of their smart meter but are not ready to commit to a time of use tariff.

I hope this addresses your query.

Kind regards,"

Yes the key differences here are: that the supplier will also have access to your data; you have left the traditional market and are now in a new market.

The problem was the separate market. Early on all suppliers had to have a standard smart tariff. It sounds like the CRU has mandated that they also have a 24hr smart tariff. That eliminates the competition aspect of the second market. Not sure what the story is for D/N equivalents. Suppliers seem to be hiding those.

Up to individual taste of the supplier access is a problem.

Waiting for secure access is odd too. I prefer my solution. Own your own data, offline. Use tools, offline. Or you can be the product too

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

I am supposed to get my smart meter fitted next week. I have been holding off doing it. My meter was actually read today and the meter reader told me that everyone has found their bill went up when they changed to a smart meter. I plan to continue to use the 24hr tarrif rather than the smart tariffs. Anyone got any advice on this? If I don't get one what can they do about it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭idc

Just thought I'd point out using EnergyPal or @curioustony app its only based on your current usage so can only suggest plans based on that. therfore you may still may need to pick a different plan than which it selects. my example I currently charge battery + cars from midnight. Therefore at 2am am using little to no electricity then, hence based on hdf analysis a plan with cheap rate from 2-5 or 6am may be overlooked.

Advertisement