Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options
1242243244245246248»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭donaghs

When buying a mix of craft beers from off-licences recently, I think I've paid deposits on some, and then not have them accepted by the machine. I guess the lesson now is to keep or photograph the receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced substitute for Moretti?

Used to drink a lot of Galway bay stuff but i find a bottle or two of Moretti is a lot nicer (imo). The price has jumped over the last year though so if anyone can suggest a reasonably priced alternative I'd appreciate it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a fairly generic lager with very little to distinguish itself from others.

Based on its return to availability and being quite cheap, maybe try Harp. Its reputation is unfounded. I'm not taking the piss with this suggestion.

Otherwise, Aldi have a knock-off Italian lager with a name that probably sounds like Peroni. (Poretti, which I think they do sell, is an actual Italian brand, not a knock-off)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Aldi's Rossini and Rheinbacher are both worth a try in the cheap-but-good lager stakes. Tesco's Manislav isn't the beer it used to be but is still decent for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Moretti is now brewed in the UK, make of that what you will.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Celebrating a little bit tonight. Got invited to read at a Poetry Day event in County Limerick tomorrow, and I'm on the bill at an Irish language event for Cork World Book Festival on Saturday, and my new poetry collection is on its way to 2 more bookshops next week. Have to enjoy the little victories.

Otterbank, from Muff, Co. Donegal: Just The One (a 3 year old, mixed fermentation amber ale, 7.1%) and Oíche Mhaith (a mixed fermentation blend of strong porters, 9.4%). Two lovely treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭antimatterx

That random bloke in the pub gave you a bum steer there. Where does he get it from?

Moretti is brewed in Manchester and Madrí is split between Tadcaster and Burton on Trent.

The BBC did a whole thing on Britain's (and Ireland's) fake continental lagers a couple of years ago:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63901215

Good to see that Budvar are determined not to "do a Staropramen"

There's a very discernable taste difference between the 500mL bottles (Prague) and the 660mL bottles (Some industrial estate, UK), and not in a good way.

They then have the cheek to put "Prague" prominently on the label of the UK-brewed muck.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Budvar's UK PR people have turned a problem into a selling point. There's no question of anyone other than the Czech state owning the company because any buyer would get a lawsuit from AB InBev's sharp and well-paid lawyers as part of the deal. You need sovereign wealth to hold off that kind of threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Krombacher or warsteiner.

Estrella galicia is decent.

As long as the brits dont start brewing it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Non zero chance of Estella Galicia being made in Carlow if it got big here. They own a substantial but non controlling stake of Carlow Brewing aka O'Haras

Same for Warsteiner and Rye River.

I thought all the legal issues had been thrashed out years ago?

But imagine ripping off a trademark and then suing the people you ripped it off from, bloody cheek!

Nope, it's still a live issue, just in a state of possibly permanent stalemate.

Budweiser beer started in St Louis in 1876. The Budvar brewery opened in 1895. Tell me again who's ripping off who's trademark? 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Didn't know that.

I think we can be safe in the assumption the German premium lagers will always be imported from source.

The city of Budweis was around a lot longer than that, and no doubt was brewing beer longer than that too… (searches the fount of all knowledge)

Beer has been brewed in Budweis, Bohemia (now České Budějovice, Czech Republic) since it was founded in 1265.

Imagine if some American shower started globally marketing "Dubliner" beer with no connection whatsoever to this country 😠

Beck's (I wouldn't call it premium though!) has a brewery in the US, so the precedent for non-German production of a major German brand is there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

"Premium" can mean different things to different people/marketing departments though.

Indeed. The city's municipal brewery was founded in 1795 and has been selling "Budweiser Bier" since 1802. It's still going as well. It seems like that one has the truest claim to the Budweiser beer name, and certainly the oldest. Who owns the brewery today? AB InBev, of course.

• Advertisement

Oliver Hughes used to say "premium" beer means "advertised on television".

Advertisement