Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mate of mine is moving to Aarhus so I'm on the To Øl in practice for what I might find in Denmark. Are Mikkeller still on the **** list? Local shop actually sells both

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I visited Aarhus about 5 years ago for an Ireland match and thought the place was pretty quiet. The Mikkeller bar was dead on the Sunday night and basically told us the locals don't go out much. Mig og Ølsnedkeren was the stand out nice spot for day time beers but it looks like a few other spots have opened up since then. There's also a good street food market that's worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Any fans of Treaty City on here? I liked their beers but had a couple of bad experiences lately. I got a few Harris Pale Ales one night and every one was flat as tap water, not a bubble between them. The cans were undamaged, at least that I could see.

Last week I got a few of their red ales and had them drank when I realised they were 4 months out of date. The latter one is probably the retailers fault, but I got it them in McHughs and they're usually pretty sharp with their stock.

Don't think Ill bother again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ya I'm a big fan, and a bit surprised to hear about that. Although, given that I'm from Limerick, I'm slightly biased and, furthermore, I usually drink their stuff in the local bars, so it's guaranteed fresh. Never had any bad experiences, apart from the odd hangover from drinking too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Has there been any discussion of the range of Belgian beers in Lidl at the moment?

All 4-packs of 33cl bottles.

There is quite a range. It looks like some of them are own-brand. From around 6% I think up to 10.5%

Kwaremount

Petrus

Cirius

Archivist

Waterloo 8.5% triple blond - I tried this, and thought it was poor: watery, no bite

Piraat 10.5% by Van Steenberge

Plus some more than I can't remember now.

Post edited by Geuze on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Archivist is fine: aimed at copying Leffe Blonde, and is pretty much on the money for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Piraat is pretty nice, especially as we get into wetter, colder weather.

Probably half the price you would see it in off licenses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Same ones they always do every few months. Nothing too exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Had a couple of bottles of the Bockbier, Leute last weekend. I enjoyed it although I must admit i wouldn't have put it at 7.5% abv.

Building up a stock of Piraat to see me over the winter - a cracking beer. Sipping 2 bottles watching a football match means you won't have to risk missing a goal while running for a p1ss!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Blow it up ref I'm bursting! 🤣

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I’ve been enjoying Brew Dog’s Black Heart quite a bit recently. I think it’s about the same price point as cans of Guinness / Murphy’s / Beamish and I’d probably pick it up over those (Murphy’s close second) if it were more widely available.

Would be curious to see if they push it more here with Island’s Edge’s demise.

Hard to know who exactly they envisaged drinking Ireland's Edge but it was hardly craft beer drinkers in general.

You have to laugh though - a special stout for people who don't like stout. Although Rockshore have a cider for people who don't like cider and a lager for people who don't like lager...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

Had the lineman like clockwork tonight. Was distinctly underwhelmed. I don't know of it's that my palate has developed (I think it has) or that this isn't as good a beer ( I believe this to be true as well) but I can remember drinking Galway bay 200 fathoms for the first time back in 2014 and the experience bring transformational. I've developed (degenerated) as a drinker since then but I can't believe these 2 beers are from the same family

Most craft brewers are all going for safer, blander choices. Porterhouse's stuff had turned into piss well before the sellout.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I think you just get used to drinking good beers. The market also got saturated with BA stouts the past few years. 200 Fathoms used to get snapped up when it came out. Now my local off licence still has loads of it left from when the 2022 batch came out earlier this year. Pointy Shoes is another one that used to sell out,and it's still around in a few places.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dug out a 2018 edition of 200 Fathoms tonight. It was best before November 2021 so no real good reason to hold onto it too much longer. It has held up very well in the bottle. Boozy, no doubt, but still a very smooth sipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Sidestep IPA 5.8% from Dot Brew, very pleasant

Got that a few weeks back in Aldi, enjoyed it.

Life ain't always empty.

Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing IPA, 6.7%

I am not a huge fan of IPA, but this is good

Lovely filling mouthfeel.

Pack = 6x 12 US fluid ounce cans, price =10 euro

Nobody has any idea what a UK fluid ounce is these days never mind a US one.

I'm guessing 355mL?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised that there is no mention of ml anywhere on the can or packaging.

You'd think to place product on the EU Single Market that the ml volume would be mentioned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You're surprised that Irish people routinely ignore the law and that there's no enforcement of it? Have you just arrived?

Every packaged beer must show the quantity in metric, the ABV and an address in the EU. Almost no American beers sold in Ireland are legally compliant (the Sierra Nevada core range is an exception), and I'd say very few British ones are either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Speaking of SN - the Celebration beer is back on the shelves. it's a great beer

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just going back to this from the summer. I tried the O'Hara's DIPA a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I wasn't a big fan when it was first released, for some reason. And tonight I'm trying Western Herd's barrel aged Flora and Fauna, aged in a Currach single malt Wakame Seaweed cask. The first taste took me right back to the old OFAF, before the seaweed flavour started to take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Stiegl Hausbier Nr. 43 Christkindl Honey Amber Ale tonight.

Think I'd have been better off waiting for Nr. 44.

That reminds me, any good Christmas beers on the market this year?

I vaguely remember the excitement about a decade or so ago when Samichlaus hit the Irish market. I think I made that one 14% abv. bottle last me about 6 hours. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

DOT Brew have a few up around the 18% mark at the moment, if you know where to look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Stick with Stiegl Hell. 2.65 in tesco with club card and a really nice Helles it is

Advertisement