Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Yeah, agree - and Goldbrau is really good so I was surprised the Hausbier was disappointing - started like a Hammer Films reimagining of a weissbier/kellerbier cross. Mind you, the taste improved after about 2/3 of the 75cl bottle 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

With some of the best designed cans and bottles to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Annothe

6.1 ABV | Brewed by Brooklyn Brewery (Kirin)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Ordered a box of the Kinnegar Christmas Beers a few days ago and tried them tonight.

First Beer: Winterland | 5.3% Vanilla Coffee Milk Stout

Second Beer: BAP 35 | 6% Belgian Blonde Ale

Third Beer: TRO 8 | 5.6% Plum Witbier

Really excited Winterlznd. I’m a big fan of milk stouts anyway. Belgian PA was good. Nice easy drinking beer. The plum witbier was plum mainly on the nose I thought. The taste didn’t really deliver but I started with the stout so that might have ruined my taste.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a, “Nice easy driving beer”?

Thanks.

Post edited by Pat Dunne on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Typo, surely.

Easy drinking beer, I'd imagine.

Meant to write easy drinking.

Rye River Scotach Wee Heavy tonight.

It's interesting... They say: shortbread, marzipan and cherry. Tastes more like ginger to me but enjoying it all the same.

I got the beer cloud advent box. Been through a few so far. Tonight I’m drinking O’Haras Session IPA. Really nice smooth drinkable beer. Not too big on hops either. I’m generally not a huge fan of the IPA style but I’d happily have a few pints of this in a night out and really enjoy it. Might be a bit laid back hops wise for many I’d imagine but worth a gander if you’re into easy drinking IPAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

[wrong thread]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've been drinking Galway Bay Full Sail and White Hag New World ... Typically reduced in Lidl these days. Both satisfying that hop urge.

Buying lot of drinks in Lidl and Aldi at the moment, it's convenient with my weekly shop, and enjoying their Christmas wines in particular (Some good deals on Douro in particular, but that's for another thread). What are the stand-out Lidl and Aldi lagers? If any?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

For an easy to drink lager I'm a fan of the Kortenhoef cans from Aldi. Tastes grand and has a really good long lasting head.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rheinbacher from Aldi isn't the steal it was pre-MUP, but it's still worth a go. I have a soft spot for their Rossini lager too. They've dressed it up to look like Peroni but it doesn't resemble Peroni at all: it's actually nice.

In Lidl, the Crafty Brewing Lager is the best of the regulars. I've never cared for Perlenbacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just avoid the Rheinbacher Weissbier, found it was very poor any time I've had it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Good selection of Kinnegar in Lidl too. Better value in the 440ml compared to the smaller cans of Galway Bay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Musgraves stores (SV/Centra) seem to have the core Rye River range at 2.50 for 500ml bottles. Not the strong stuff, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I had some Sierra Nevada Little Things cans recently. (six cans of 355ml/12 fluid ounces for 10 euro)

• Hazy IPA
    • Sunny citrus wheat ale
    • Wild sour ale
    • Juicy hazy IPA

I have to say they all appear well made, I really like the Hazy IPA 6.7%.

Today, I saw some Lough Gill 440ml cans in ALDI, so I bought Whistle mountain IPA and On The Other Side IPA. Both 1.99.

Okay, but a bit bland and unremarkabale?

The Sierra Nevada are better beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah I tried the Lough Gill stuff from Aldi before, okay but bland is right. Brewed down to a price I suppose.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Crafty brewing.....Advent beer box.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

Where did you get the Sierra Nevada pack?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

White Gypsy (old branding) Framboise Première - "a blend of oak aged saison, fresh wheat beer, and local raspberries" - 5.8% abv, best before January 2021. It aged wonderfully.

What is it they changed their name to again?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whitefield

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Whitefield Brewery, I think. Still producing great beers, but I don't think they do as much barrel aged stuff these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They re-did this as their Harvest Ale this year and it was lovely.

Brauerai Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus Classic... 14% ABV 🙂🤨😮🙃🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Crafty Brewing stout, a fine sup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Agree, and their saison at the moment 8s lovely stuff.

Tried the O'Hara's West Coast IPA and Hazy IPA, both very good.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Advertisement