Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options
1243244245246247249»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love the confusion where some people thought "double IPA was so called because it was IIPA, with 2 "I" s - as in, it was Double I, PA.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Not sure if it's suitable for this thread, but don't see a general thread or one for Q&As………

A couple of summers ago, one of the bigger German weissbier brauerei had 12 packs of a lower %, hoppy, lighter version of their beers on sale here. I got it in a couple of off licences and ended up buying nothing else that whole summer. Then……it was gone. Never heard of it again. Didn't reappear the following summer and hasn't been seen since. It was lovely and I'd love to a) confirm I wasn't hallucinating and b) get my hands on it again.

Does it ring any bells for anyone?

It was almost certainly Erdinger or Paulaner, probably the former. It was called Sommerbrau or Summer beer, something along those lines. It had a plain cream label with the logo and name of the beer in green emblazoned across it. I only saw it in 330ml bottles and only ever in 12 packs.

Every now and again it pops into my head and I can never get the name right.

Edit: FOUND IT!

After typing the above post, I tried a few different variations of Sommer/Summer and found this:

https://untappd.com/b/erdinger-weissbrau-sommerweisse/1527440

I don't suppose anyone has seen this anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deisedav

Just clicked into that link you put up and it says the beer is no longer produced by the brewery

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It was marked out of production in 2022 but there are more recent check-ins so I've changed that.

The brewery mentions it on their US site, but not the German one. I've never seen it here.

It was literally available for maybe a 10 or 12 week period about 6 years ago, then disappeared.

I hate it when that happens. Same with that Coalface black IPA, soon as I developed a taste for it…………poof!

• Advertisement

Now that you mention it, it's an injustice that lots of the Carrig beers were revived when it become BRÚ, but not Coalface.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Found a bottle of kriek in the back of the press, BB date is 07/21. Still drinkable ye reckon?

It has so much sugar in it, it's basically jam, so I doubt anything will have gone wrong in it.

Definitely still drinkable.

I think my personal record is a bottle of beer from Barbados that expired in 2004, which I drank in 2013. I think it was called Banks's or something like that. Didn't notice anything off with it and definitely no ill-effects afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭adaminho

Have two six-pack of Guinness that expired in February 1985 on display in the bar, half tempted to try them now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone spot any good prices on 4 packs of Hoegaarden or Leffe recently? I used to enjoy both a lot but haven't had either in a couple of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

The crafty brewing company American style, pale wheat ale from Lidl.

Lovely beer. Great for these sunny days.

Advertisement