Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Old design might not have looked good on 440, not that I think the new design looks great on 440 either…

Who's left doing 330 cans now? Wicklow Brewing certainly did last time I got some, Rye River do (for some lines and some own-brand lines), Galway Bay are mostly 330.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Whiplash have their core range in 330mls, White Hag too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Im a non drinker

Love 00 lager

On draught especially,but hard enough to find in Cork on a regular basis,

I spent 5 hours drinking Lucozade and water and tea in a pub in Cork on Easter Sun,( Derry / Dub match,ballads after the Easter march- I wouldn't have stayed otherwise)

Pub had run out and awaiting draught Heineken 00 to arrive for 5 weeks,

Publicans need to cater for an ever growing market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭adaminho

I have little Fawn in stock in 440ml but the serpent in 330ml.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My main White Hag purchase is Bran & Sceolan which is 440, so I forgot the core is 330

• Advertisement

I've seen some range of other 0.0 lagers on the market recently - Bitburger (the lager you get on draught on Deutsche Bahn) 0.0 for instance as well as Carlsberg, Estrella and others - they could certainly get a tap of something else in if Heineken are leaving them dry that long.

Thank you,never heard of bitburger,Estrella was nice when I used drink( Estrella dam from memory)

But that was 11/ 12 years ago, maybe it's the same family, whatever the more draught variety the better,

I like the taste but the hangovers once or twice a week were murder

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

Apart from a bog ale White hag done years back and it was acquired taste, Bran & Sceolan is a cracking beer and my go too from WH

The Estrella 0 I've seen is Estrella Galicia from Galicia - Estrella Damn is a different product from Barcelona.

They're quite similar though, in alcoholic versions at least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I tried the Estrella 0 and it was rancid 😅 Maybe it's a seldom used line in that particular pub. Either way, put me right off that beer and off ordering anything other than a very-popular-beer in that pub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd be wary of draught n/a beer unless there is a very consistent flow. These beers don't have to benefit of c. 5% alcohol to help preserve them.

Lovely taste from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Sudden flurry of new beers in Bradley's, including Verdant from the UK. Perhaps breweries / importers are adapting quicker than we expected?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Or just ignoring the rules. That's how it usually works.

My local RVM shows the registered name of each item; and I've noticed that a special from an Irish brewery scanned as "[Brewery Name] IPA" - it was a porter. Wonder if we're going to see some specials having the same barcode and price. Which will drive retailers demented, but avoid paying registration fees for new products.

I noticed the same. I think it was Galway Bay Obsidian that flashed up as an IPA. I don't see how it would bother the retailers: surely the SKU name on the till system is different from the name entered on the Re-Turn system, though they have a barcode in common?

If they are using the same barcode on more than one product it'll cause stock control hell.

If its just a mistake in registering the name with Re-Turn and the barcode is product unique, no issue at all.

Come to think of it, registering was free before a certain date so it is also possible that a load of future barcodes were registered back then with no idea what the beer would be.

My guess is they registered the barcode with Re-Turn before they knew which beer it would be assigned to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I've bought a few imports recently, and the machines at my local supervalu won't accept them.

snip

Mod: Let's not discuss ways of defrauding the system.

Post edited by irish_goat on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

This is most likely IMO. Re-Turn threatened that it products need to registered 6 weeks before market placement so folks might have rushed to register barcodes, or registered a load just to have a bank to pull from. In reality it's taking less than 10 working days at the moment.

If you produce up to 749000 cans a year, there is no cost to register new products, just a flat €500 fee a year. 750000-1499999 it's €1000 flat per year. So, no incentive to pre register to save money.

• Advertisement

Understood. But it's not defrauding the system. I was charged the deposit at point of purchase. I'm just ensuring I get my money back. I shouldn't have to bring my empty cans home again, and put them in the green bin, because the system has flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What happens when you put the barcode in here?

If you've been charged a deposit for a non-refundable product then that's something you're going to have to take up with the retailer who sold it to you.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I rarely use the barcode checker, but I'll have a look and see what it says for the items.

The retailer charged the deposit, which they will hand over, so it's not like I'm claiming a return on something the deposit hasn't been paid on.

For people like me, who already recycles, the scheme takes up extra time in my life. I'm not going to bother returning to the point of purchase to take it up with them.

No point whinging about it on here if you're not bothered to do something about it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I did something about it. You'll see my original post was edited by a moderator, as I was accused of defrauding the system.

I just made sure I got the deposit I paid, at the retailer, returned to me at the RVM.

I took a simple step to have my deposit returned, at the return vending machine. As I said, I'm not going to waste time going back to retailer. And on principle, I'm not going to let the system keep the deposit I've paid at point of purchase.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Didn't realise you get charged the deposit regardless of whether or not the product is registered/has the return logo. Can't blame you for getting your money back.

We'll still just err on the side of caution when it comes to discussing how to trick the machines.

Here you go. To make matters worse, it's says 15c on the shelf, but the receipt says 25c.

And to get back on topic here, the Verdant dipa is really nice, but totally not worth that price.

@irish_goat Non-registered products are not supposed to be charged the deposit but some retailers feck things up (Supervalu I'm looking at you)

There are few non-logoed products left at this stage.

@Citizen Six That's a total SNAFU by the retailer but they won't rectify the error if nobody complains.

€8.49 for one can of beer though, that's dearer than Pointy Shoes!

…and €9.39 is dearer again!

Hope they were nice. I wouldn't be too worried about 15 or 25c if paying that much per can though.

• Advertisement

BA Narwal is a lot better than recent Pointy Shoes, which has disappointed me for the past few years. I prefer to buy Irish, but like to taste everything. And Wicklow Wolf is one on the most consistent, and quality brewers we have in Ireland. As for the one from Verdant, it is pretty expensive, but I wanted to try it, as I'm a big fan of them But the value just isn't there. I wouldn't buy it again.

With the 15 vs 25 cent thing, for me, it's about the principle. I've always recycled, so this new system is an imposition. But I still take part.

Only today though, did I realise the wastage where I work. I passed a bunch of cans and bottles, with the logo, which are discarded. And they are just bagged up with the regular trash and going to landfill.

Advertisement