Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

^ that's from a parody. Main issue is that 5 speed cars were exceptionally rare in 1972!

There were similar, later, ads telling you to stop at two here, though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oude Geuze Boon à l'Ancienne (2016/2017 brewing season) picked up from Bradley's in Cork a while back. Gorgeous. I don't go for sours or lambics too often, but this is exactly what I needed tonight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I managed to get 4 different barrel aged barley wines from DOT Brew for my self-curated Christmas box, but couldn't decide when to actually open them back in December. I decided instead to have one bottle each month in the new year as treats after a series of runs. The 5k was on this morning, so I'm opening one tonight.

Barley Wine aged in Oloroso barrels for 2.5 years, then finished in ex-Madeira barrels that had also been used to age Irish single malt whiskey. A massive 17.4% ABV for the 330 ml bottle. No carbonation. Smells awesome. Tastes even better. Wow. Roll on the 5 Miler in February! 😁

Is nobody drinking beer any more, or are ye all too worried about recycling the empties?!

Did my 5 Mile run today so got to open another DOT Brew barrel aged barley wine. This one had 2.5 years in Oloroso barrels and a finish in ex-Riesling single malt whiskey casks. 17.6% ABV makes it (I think) the strongest beer I've ever had. I absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'd a can of Astral Grains last night. Was very nice.

One from my CRU.ie box last week, Mo Chara Lager, surprisingly enjoyable as I'm not really a lager drinker anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Nothing like a good beer after a good run!

Popped into Crew Brewing Company at the top of Thomas Street in Limerick this evening (had about 20 minutes to spare on my way to a show) and sampled their vanilla milk stout. €6.80 for the pint, but I'm happy enough with that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I had their Gose at the weekend and it was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Anyone know if Moretti Sale Do Marie unfiltered is available in Ireland?

See it's in the UK but have yet to come across it in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Don't think so. It's not much different to the original anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Presumably you could MacGyver the beer using a pinch of salt, no?

Western Herd. Barrel aged series #3. Imperial Stout aged in a Thomond Gate whiskey barrel that originally held Cognac. 9.4% ABV and a fantastic list of malts in the recipe. Only 200 bottles produced. Yum.

Western Herd. Barrel aged series #6. Imperial Stout aged in a Thomond Gate whiskey barrel that originally held red wine. 9.7% ABV and another fantastic list of malts in the recipe. Only 300 bottles produced. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Are these easy to find? I've seen people post about them, but don't recall seeing them in my local offies.

I think the two I had only ended up in a very small number of offies in Limerick and Clare. I'd say most of them are enjoyed by people close to the brewers and the barrel sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

They are listed as in stock on their website. Sihpping is €7.70, so it's close to €30 all in.

Beers arrived this morning, courier tossed the box over the gate. Hope they survived the 2 metre drop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Good old Drop-Punt Delivery, was it? Not the first time I've heard of this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If they are damaged get onto the seller not the courier. It's entirely the seller's responsibility to get the goods to you safely.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Nah, Fastway. I find them to be the worst. They often don't even ring the bell, just toss the package over the gate. I've had them deliver something to me for someone else by mistake, I tried to give it back to the driver, and he wouldn't take the package back from me.

They used some of those inflatable bottle surrounds. One of them burst, but the bottle was ok. So I'm all good for tonight's drinks. Just need to find the right whiskey to pair them with now.

Never had anything shipped using inflatable bottle surrounds, but then again I've never had the pleasure of having beer delivered by Fastway either. Sounds like the shipper is only too aware of how bad their courier is.

Life ain't always empty.

10 km run done today, so ye know what that means.

DOT Brew. Barley Wine aged in Oloroso barrels for 2.5 years, then finished in ex-Ruby Port barrels that had also been used to age Irish single malt whiskey. A massive 17.75% ABV for the 330 ml bottle. No carbonation. Smells awesome. Tastes even better. Wow.

Bought two Pointy Shoes 2023 last weekend with the intention of putting them away for next Christmas.

They didn't survive the weekend 😯

Nice but not sure if they're €7.99 each nice. I know I can get good tripels, quadrupels, etc next Xmas anyway so the novelty of high alc beers is kinda gone. Imperial stouts and barrel aged stouts aren't the rarity they once were.

Life ain't always empty.

First time I'd seen it for beer, but I've got whiskey that way before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mouldymould

Oíche Mhaith by Otterbank (BA mixed ferm vatted imperial porter) is wonderful. Mother Macs in Limerick currently have 2/3 pints pouring for €5.80.

I've found Pointy Shoes to be disappointing the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Slightly off topic but from following on Instagram, Rascals seem to have done a rebranding. Does anyone else think it looks terrible? Their cans were quite unique, when I look at their new ones my first thought is that Aldi have tried to do a knock-off Brewdog run

Advertisement