Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have seen the other lads called Red Sea here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I bought bottles and cans which did not sport logo and I was charged deposit for them. I tried to put them in machine and they were rejected every single time.

When you are charging for all bottles or cans make sure you return money for all of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭nachouser

The numbers quoted are from a two lad website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They don't need the logo on them to be charged a deposit.

This has caused a lot of confusion but that is compounded when they don't refund.

The only hope you have is to keep all receipts and complain but as others have said people don't like causing a fuss over small sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Tell that to the queue of people who want to be taxi drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not sure what you mean, was this comment aimed at me or did you accidentally reply to the wrong person?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In Germany for the week, same machines I see as at home. My mate living here has no problem with it, machines take glass bottles too so that's probably around the corner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭jj880

Does your mate also have a recycle wheelie bin he pays a monthly fee for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Exactly who are you trying to defend here cos, you are digging yourself further into a hole to do it. I'd be picking my hills to die on a bit better.

Point 1. The stats you provide use the term "return rates" - not "recycle rates" - you'll appreciate these are two different terms.

Point 2. The over all recycling rates in all of those countries (for all recycleable objects not just those covered by DRS) is at or below sixty percent. Surely you can appreciate that it is far more benefical in a country where an established return scheme is in place for a hell of a lot more recycleable objects than just those covered by DRS, that you look to tweak and enhance this scheme and do some deep dive on WHY people aren't putting these objects in their own recycle bin in the first instance.

Point 3. There's simply NO way that this specific and limited DRS scheme here will give us anywhere near a 90 percent recycle rate, let alone a 90 percent collection/return rate. You just have to read the threads on here to get that and speaking with people in the real world, I've found that a large number would just take the hit and get on with life (which is awful really when you think of it) - At least the items are ending up in the recycle bin but they'll never be counted as returns under the flawed scheme…..what happens then?

Point 4. The prevalance of plastic bottles (and possibly cans) has increased dramaticilly in at least one of the countries you mention there - possibly more. Not exactly great for the environment, is it?

You'd find that figure easy if you were to stick a poll up on this thread with the right questions, paid for by the right people fairly fast……….

Can anyone put a poll up out of interest? dxhound would no doubt argue that this forums viewers isn't reflective of the general population, and they'd be right, but at least he'd know who the audience was and how they were leaning as opposed to that Amarach poll where we have no idea how the audience were chosen, the poll methodology or who paid for the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭con747

Those surveys are a joke, most if not all pay a small remuneration for taking part and people know how to play the surveys to get more in the future by giving the "correct" answers they know the survey is aiming for. RedC is one of the better paying ones, up to €3 for 5 minutes doing it so people get to know how to work them to their advantage without giving honest answers.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This is exactly the problem, if you can find a working machine, there's a queue, then a load of cans/bottles just won't scan, plus going out of my way to return the damn things for a couple of euro. Utterly frustrating. My time is worth more than this headache for a few euros. My stuff's just going in the bin because it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

All of this is perfectly valid, and clearly, the retailers were able to ensure that this wasn't the option taken.

Much easier to put all this work in the hands of the consumer. No money is to be paid and the retailer, distributor and producer get away with the vast majority of the effort only having to implement an additional charge on their invoices.

So rather than have the people with the resources to do this, the option was that every single person in the country would become a defacto collection agent for the products that these companies are placing on the market. And not only do they get all consumers to do this work for free, but they actually charge them an upfront amount which they can only get back if they are prepared to do all the work!

Where is the incentive for the producers to create new containers to avoid any of this? Keep pushing out the plastic bottles and we can just blame the consumer for everything.

The company behind the scheme is DRSI CLG, trading as Re-turn. It is a company that is limited by guarantee and was established by beverage producers and retailers in order to fulfil their obligations. Return is a scheme set up by the beverage and retailers to make complying with any future regulations as easy on them as possible. It is all designed to avoid them having to do anything serious themselves.

When you understand that this entire scheme is actually set up by the prodcers and retailers you can stop with the understanding that the machines don't work or the poor staff in the shop. This scheme was designed by the retailers to put all the effort onto the consumer and the only part they had to play was to ensure that the end bit, the machines, are in working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

One of the most annoying parts of this is not allowing you to squash down bottles. A few 2 litre bottles take up a lot of room. I just put them in the black bin at this stage. Twice i queued to recycle bottles to get a grand total of €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

Food for thought!

Opinion

Don’t waste your time recycling plastic

By Eve O. Schaub

April 22, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. EDT

Eve O. Schaub is the author of “Year of No Garbage: Recycling Lies, Plastic Problems, and One Woman’s Trashy Journey to Zero Waste.”

The time has come for us to stop “recycling” plastic. Plastic as a material is not recyclable, and the very best thing we can do to celebrate Earth Day this year is to acknowledge that fact.

This seems counterintuitive, I know. We’ve been told for decades that the answer to the plastic-waste crisis is more, better recycling: If only we sorted better! If only we had better access to recycling technologies! If only we washed and dried our plastics more adequately! This is all a smokescreen, designed to distract us from the truth that plastic recycling — if by “recycling” we mean converting a used material into a new material of similar value and function — is a myth.

Unlike paper, glass and metal, plastic is not easily, efficiently turned into new products. What passes for “recycling” plastic is costly, energy-intensive and toxic. On top of all that, the process requires the addition of a shocking amount of new virgin plastic — around 70 percent — to hold the newly formed plastic item together. As a result, only about 5 percent of plastic gets “recycled” (or, more accurately, “downcycled” into a product of inferior quality). Compare that with a 68 percent recycling rate for paper and cardboard.

May be paywalled!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/22/stop-recycling-plastic-earth-day/

From Washington Post-can't seem to post link.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The poll in the Minimum Unit Pricing thread shows something like 95% anti. Peter Casey was way ahead of Michael D and the rest in the poll about the Presidential election. One of the other political polls showed SF at 40%, when the polling companies had them well under 20%. The anti MUP people think that their cause is the most important thing in the country. In reality nobody cares, and this cause here is going to attract cranks as well.

» With that being said we can't be modifying laws that help the majority because it inconveniences a minority, it's simply not how a democracy works or should work

Every new taxi must be wheelchair accessible, which makes becoming a taxi driver a lot more expensive. Is that not a modification of laws because it inconvenienced a minority??

I always squash down bottles and then re-form them before putting them into the machine, as long as the barcode can be read they don't need to be perfect

Germany introduced its DRS in the 2000's. It has the highest recycle rate in Europe.

If we are using the same machines(we are not btw) and the same system as Germany(we aren't), why does it not work as well as in Germany? Oh yeah, thats why.

Is that definitely a new law? First I've heard of it, even googled it there and couldn't find anything on it, but yeah 100% I would completely disagree with this new rule.

While it's great for wheelchair users, the majority of the population will suffer as the net result will be fewer taxis. Likewise we can't scrap the deposit return scheme because it's inconvenient for some as the net result will be fewer cans and bottles getting recycled

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its entirely new licences, not all new taxis - existing non wheelchair taxis can be replaced with non wheelchair taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Likewise we can't scrap the deposit return scheme because it's inconvenient for some"

And what if it's inconvenient for most? Or more costly for most? Usually when that happens in democratic society, things change.

Which is why I said "new taxi drivers" in the post I wrote.

Why do you continue to use the term "recycled" in reference to this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

Good question! Many people believe returned or collected is the same as recycled!

Would you disagree with:

Disabled Bathrooms, Disabled Car Parking Spaces, Disability Supports (Financial and otherwise), the LTI scheme etc

Autistic Units in Schools etc etc etc

Irish Language Requirements for new houses in certain areas, Support of the Irish Language in general, etc etc etc

Your standpoint makes very little sense.

As others have stated the "minorities" you are refering to in relation to this scheme are the very people you need to engage with the scheme ON TOP of all of those that try their best already in order to get to the return figures you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The scheme needs to just to be able to take back a fúcking bottle or can and give people their money back.

We can deal with cocaine goose wearers in our collective imaginations.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We are way passed just ignoring the people who couldn't use the scheme and fleecing them blind.

This scheme is now officially the shíttest lotto in existence for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

But it does depend on the machines. Had a slight dint in one bottle and the Aldi machine wouldn't take it. Another machine did in Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Dublin City Council could lead by example and put segregated bins in place instead of one giant general waste container.

Anyone who bangs on about how great Germany is at recycling, have you ever noticed how they have segregated bins publicly available over there?

Advertisement