Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I hate this poxy charge, it just encourages you to 'store' cans in the boot of the car or in bags around the house.

And I was recycling them in the estate bin area anyway so WHY do I now have this crap to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

The shop does pay the distributor…. I work for one such distributor and we have had to introduce invoicing for the DRS charges to the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

While I completely agree that it's auful these two ladies are too sick to bring bottles to the supermarket and (I didn't read the article fully but assume) they don't have anybody on hand that can assist them. With that being said we can't be modifying laws that help the majority because it inconveniences a minority, it's simply not how a democracy works or should work

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The scheme needs to get to 90%. The scheme needs minorities to meet those targets. If it was just about a majority, we wouldn't need this scheme at all.

And yes, we frequently modify laws, and when drafting new laws, to take into account the needs of a minority. We don't have laws that just help the majority. That is not how a democracy works if it wants to survive and honour its constitution and the rights of its citizens.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds like requiring people who do the deliveries to take any used bottles/cans from the previous delivery and credit the customer's account would be the way to go in the case of vulnerable people who get their groceries delivered.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes we have laws for minorities rights, in fact I'd argue we don't have enough of them. But we don't and shouldn't have laws that give the minorities rights over the needs of the majority of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

The only reason I shared the article was because I was interested in the comments made by Re-turn. I've no real interest in the woman's story. And since you haven't read it there's no point in discussing it.

Your comments about inconveniencing a minority and how democracy works are odd. We wouldn't have accessibility legislation if it was OK to ignore minorities in the name of democracy.

Anyway the scheme doesn't just inconvenience minorities. Producers, suppliers, retailers and consumers are all inconvenienced to varying degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Have to say, I've yet to encounter a machine that hasn't taken 100% of my items. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I've developed the knack quickly.

What I don't understand, and I'm no fan of this scheme, is the petulance on display when multiple posters say they will purposely put recyclables in the wrong bin at home. An utterly pointless show of "revolt" which only harms yourself and your descendants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

This is a non-runner. Retailers aren't interested and I can understand why.

1. Slower deliveries
    2. Arguments with customer over whether something is in good condition/within scope of scheme.
    3. Admin work to link collection of items and credit to someone's account.
    4. Possible disputes over amount of credit.
    5. Who empties the truck? More labour hours.
    6. Hygiene of truck

All of the above for 2.2 cent per item. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

False equivalence. Are you saying it is impossible to have a Re-turn scheme that does not take into account the needs of minorities? Why is it on the one hand the rights of the minorities versus the needs of the majority? And I'm sure a case could be made that we have many laws and regulations already on the books that give minorities rights over the 'needs' of the majority, if you define either loosely enough.

And again, you ignore the point that the scheme needs to get to 90%. It's simply not good enough to be writing off so many "minorities".

So to advocate for a Re-turn scheme that needs to get to 90%, while also arguing we don't need to accomodate minorities and make the scheme workable for them too, is entirely self defeating.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

I was recycling them in the local supermarket bottle bank before this. Today I brought my bag of cans "rejected" "rejected" "rejected". Queue forming behind me, I thought 'F this' and left putting bag of cans back in boot. I'm going to get my money back one way or the other but I'm not going to be buying any more products involved in this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Correct the funnel is your only man for pouring liquids.

Holding the 5 kilo weight steady is still a bit much for the frail

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Especially when trying to balance it on top of a shaky 2 litre plastic bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭nachouser

Ah look, a year from now when the stats show that daily returns are maybe 2-3m/5m sold, there'll still be lads on here saying it could be a success if only we'd commit to inconvenience ourselves harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Local & Euro elections coming up - vote accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Stolen from the Liveline thread 🤣

https://youtu.be/lURtdo5nJYg?si=JqO1LdAj-KU9N0Z_

I think it's based on 'if they screw me about' then 'I'll f*** them about'

Schemes like this need public buy in and clearly it annoys as many citizens as not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭Damien360

I was at my local Dunnes trying to get my money back. Large store and there are 2 return places outside. There was a queue but everyone including myself had items that it wouldn't take. The ones that were rejected, I put aside and tried again in the end and got a few more of the rejects to be accepted. Total €6.35 so not an insignificant amount. The amount of time we all spent inspecting the rejects to discover there was nothing wrong with them was ridiculous. I brought my rejects home, crushed them as I used to do and put them in the recycle bin.

The scheme makes no sense for those of us that actively crushed and recycled the plastics before this scheme.

Pricing on the shelf never reflects what I will be charged at the till. Why was that allowed.

Is the new tax added to price inflation figures ? They can't just disregard the actual cost of the bottles at the till based on 100% returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If this survey is true, then there was buy in well over 50% three months ago in advance of its introduction. It hasn't annoyed me, and I can't find any new survey to say that it has annoyed half the population.

24/01/2024 | 11:39 AM JAMES COX (Breakingnews.ie).

Re-turn, Ireland's Deposit Return Scheme goes live on February 1st, 2024.

From this date onwards, when consumers purchase a drink in a plastic bottle or aluminium can that features the Re-turn logo, they will pay a fully refundable deposit in addition to the price of the drink.

New Amárach research has revealed that 82 per cent of consumers support the introduction of the deposit return scheme and 95 per cent of consumers plan to engage with the circular economy initiative.

Ninety-four per cent of those surveyed consider the impact their recycling behaviour will have on future generations at some level and 82 per cent state that the deposit placed on drink containers will incentivise them to return empty drinks containers to participating retailers nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭con747

Now that made me laugh! A survey before the sh1tshow even started. I wonder how many have changed their minds now it is in operation and they have to endure all the flaws being discovered.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In my local Dunnes the shelf pricing is clear.

It's meant to show the price of the product and the amount of the deposit.

DRS is not included in inflation figures because in theory it's refundable.

But if they don't sort out the glitches and people keep losing deposits I suppose you could make a case for it's inclusion.

Q: Do you support more recycling?

A: Yes.

Q: Do you support a scheme where you pay extra for stuff you buy, keep it separate, and put it into a machine where you may not always get your extra back. Meanwhile also paying for recycling collections kerbside?

A: Feck off with yerself!

Where did you get your half for half against stat from?

What half & half do you refer to?

"clearly it annoys as many citizens as not" is a turn of phrase, not literal. Like many turns of phrase, an accurate generalisation imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

The scheme needs to be 1 euro a small bottle and 2 euro a bigger bottle. 15c and 25 c dont even register with the students i deal with. They have cars, canada goose jackets, cocaine habits and prosecco. I earn multiples of their parents allowances and still fish bottles out of bins. The notion that students are poor is beyond laugable,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭Damien360

Without attacking you, this is very much the Irish solution to everything. Make a rule to deal with a minority who couldn't care less, meanwhile annoying the majority of compliant people.

The caretaker in the local school picks up all the monster cans left behind and I assume is collecting his dues from it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement