Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Correct the funnel is your only man for pouring liquids.

Holding the 5 kilo weight steady is still a bit much for the frail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Especially when trying to balance it on top of a shaky 2 litre plastic bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭nachouser

Ah look, a year from now when the stats show that daily returns are maybe 2-3m/5m sold, there'll still be lads on here saying it could be a success if only we'd commit to inconvenience ourselves harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Local & Euro elections coming up - vote accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Stolen from the Liveline thread 🤣

https://youtu.be/lURtdo5nJYg?si=JqO1LdAj-KU9N0Z_

• Advertisement

I think it's based on 'if they screw me about' then 'I'll f*** them about'

Schemes like this need public buy in and clearly it annoys as many citizens as not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

I was at my local Dunnes trying to get my money back. Large store and there are 2 return places outside. There was a queue but everyone including myself had items that it wouldn't take. The ones that were rejected, I put aside and tried again in the end and got a few more of the rejects to be accepted. Total €6.35 so not an insignificant amount. The amount of time we all spent inspecting the rejects to discover there was nothing wrong with them was ridiculous. I brought my rejects home, crushed them as I used to do and put them in the recycle bin.

The scheme makes no sense for those of us that actively crushed and recycled the plastics before this scheme.

Pricing on the shelf never reflects what I will be charged at the till. Why was that allowed.

Is the new tax added to price inflation figures ? They can't just disregard the actual cost of the bottles at the till based on 100% returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If this survey is true, then there was buy in well over 50% three months ago in advance of its introduction. It hasn't annoyed me, and I can't find any new survey to say that it has annoyed half the population.

24/01/2024 | 11:39 AM JAMES COX (Breakingnews.ie).

Re-turn, Ireland's Deposit Return Scheme goes live on February 1st, 2024.

From this date onwards, when consumers purchase a drink in a plastic bottle or aluminium can that features the Re-turn logo, they will pay a fully refundable deposit in addition to the price of the drink.

New Amárach research has revealed that 82 per cent of consumers support the introduction of the deposit return scheme and 95 per cent of consumers plan to engage with the circular economy initiative.

Ninety-four per cent of those surveyed consider the impact their recycling behaviour will have on future generations at some level and 82 per cent state that the deposit placed on drink containers will incentivise them to return empty drinks containers to participating retailers nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭con747

Now that made me laugh! A survey before the sh1tshow even started. I wonder how many have changed their minds now it is in operation and they have to endure all the flaws being discovered.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

In my local Dunnes the shelf pricing is clear.

It's meant to show the price of the product and the amount of the deposit.

DRS is not included in inflation figures because in theory it's refundable.

But if they don't sort out the glitches and people keep losing deposits I suppose you could make a case for it's inclusion.

Q: Do you support more recycling?

A: Yes.

Q: Do you support a scheme where you pay extra for stuff you buy, keep it separate, and put it into a machine where you may not always get your extra back. Meanwhile also paying for recycling collections kerbside?

A: Feck off with yerself!

Where did you get your half for half against stat from?

What half & half do you refer to?

"clearly it annoys as many citizens as not" is a turn of phrase, not literal. Like many turns of phrase, an accurate generalisation imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

The scheme needs to be 1 euro a small bottle and 2 euro a bigger bottle. 15c and 25 c dont even register with the students i deal with. They have cars, canada goose jackets, cocaine habits and prosecco. I earn multiples of their parents allowances and still fish bottles out of bins. The notion that students are poor is beyond laugable,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

Without attacking you, this is very much the Irish solution to everything. Make a rule to deal with a minority who couldn't care less, meanwhile annoying the majority of compliant people.

The caretaker in the local school picks up all the monster cans left behind and I assume is collecting his dues from it.

I have seen the other lads called Red Sea here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I bought bottles and cans which did not sport logo and I was charged deposit for them. I tried to put them in machine and they were rejected every single time.

When you are charging for all bottles or cans make sure you return money for all of them too.

The numbers quoted are from a two lad website.

They don't need the logo on them to be charged a deposit.

This has caused a lot of confusion but that is compounded when they don't refund.

The only hope you have is to keep all receipts and complain but as others have said people don't like causing a fuss over small sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Tell that to the queue of people who want to be taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not sure what you mean, was this comment aimed at me or did you accidentally reply to the wrong person?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In Germany for the week, same machines I see as at home. My mate living here has no problem with it, machines take glass bottles too so that's probably around the corner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭jj880

Does your mate also have a recycle wheelie bin he pays a monthly fee for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Exactly who are you trying to defend here cos, you are digging yourself further into a hole to do it. I'd be picking my hills to die on a bit better.

Point 1. The stats you provide use the term "return rates" - not "recycle rates" - you'll appreciate these are two different terms.

Point 2. The over all recycling rates in all of those countries (for all recycleable objects not just those covered by DRS) is at or below sixty percent. Surely you can appreciate that it is far more benefical in a country where an established return scheme is in place for a hell of a lot more recycleable objects than just those covered by DRS, that you look to tweak and enhance this scheme and do some deep dive on WHY people aren't putting these objects in their own recycle bin in the first instance.

Point 3. There's simply NO way that this specific and limited DRS scheme here will give us anywhere near a 90 percent recycle rate, let alone a 90 percent collection/return rate. You just have to read the threads on here to get that and speaking with people in the real world, I've found that a large number would just take the hit and get on with life (which is awful really when you think of it) - At least the items are ending up in the recycle bin but they'll never be counted as returns under the flawed scheme…..what happens then?

Point 4. The prevalance of plastic bottles (and possibly cans) has increased dramaticilly in at least one of the countries you mention there - possibly more. Not exactly great for the environment, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You'd find that figure easy if you were to stick a poll up on this thread with the right questions, paid for by the right people fairly fast……….

Can anyone put a poll up out of interest? dxhound would no doubt argue that this forums viewers isn't reflective of the general population, and they'd be right, but at least he'd know who the audience was and how they were leaning as opposed to that Amarach poll where we have no idea how the audience were chosen, the poll methodology or who paid for the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭con747

Those surveys are a joke, most if not all pay a small remuneration for taking part and people know how to play the surveys to get more in the future by giving the "correct" answers they know the survey is aiming for. RedC is one of the better paying ones, up to €3 for 5 minutes doing it so people get to know how to work them to their advantage without giving honest answers.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement