Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

It's like shopping in Musgrave's cash and carry again. Or America.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeah I got caught at the checkout with that one. Handed it back straight away.

It's crazy. It needs to be clearly listed. The product price and then in large letters the overall price including the extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Did two 25 cent empties at local Aldi today. No delay. I noticed the Aldi machine makes a noise which I assume is the bottles being crushed. The Tesco machine did not make a noise like that. Aldi are still selling one litre plastic bottles of soda water with no 25 cent charge. Old recycle logo on them, not the one designed for these machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

Haven't been following the thread, but a few observations on this. Like a lot of people I'd say, I completely ignored this scheme until quite recently. So, I think it will have to run for at least a year before you know what the recycling rate ends up as.

My own experience has been positive. The few times I brought empties, the machines accepted them, gave me a voucher and I used the voucher in the shop (though the shop assistant had to get help to figure it out first).

Two other things I noticed. One a guy on the bus with a huge bag of recycling. Nice to see, but I can imagine the frustration if when he got to the store, the machine wasn't working. That would take the good out of it very quickly.

Second, was watching a small group of teenage boys in the usual teenage boy, black "uniform", dutifully feeding bottles into a machine. Don't want to tar all teenage boys, but it's amazing what a small financial incentive can make people do.

As for the article in the IT today, I don't doubt the experience of the people in it, but it's hard to imagine a harder case, to judge a scheme like this on.

But you would have to check the bottle or can to see whether it has the new logo. Listing the base price and the add on alerts me to the fact that it is an item in the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I notice Dunnes have taken the opportunity to rip off the consumer as part of this new process…the 6 x 2L of water was always around the 2.65 mark, it is now over 3 euro plus deposit. I switched to the 5L bottles when the DRS came in but so did a lot of others, have not been able to get 5L of water in Dunnes for a few days now. Everyone wins with the DRS except the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some good value items seem to be disappearing from the shelves in Dunnes also, which I expect related to this scheme.

A German non alcoholic beer Gerstel that was under a euro gone.

Own brand Italian style sparkling water.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've been very ambivalent about the scheme, but turned up yesterday with at least 20 bottles (my first time to use the machine). Most of the bottles were rejected saying it didn't accept the barcode, some of them took several attempts to to be read… It kept spitting out tickets even though I wasn't finished. Ended up with about a euros worth of credit.

Wasn't worth the effort put in. I brought the remaining bottles home and put them in the green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I don't know of any internationally used scheme that can bring our recycling rates to 90% or indeed any countries recycling rates to that level. No country in the world is getting to that level of recycling.

Allow me to enlighten you. Return rates on in-scope products in places where DRS has been introduced

• Germany - 98%
    • Denmark - 90%
    • Finland - 92%
    • Netherlands - 95%
    • California (Badly implemented scheme with target of 80%) - 82%

Logic would suggest that introducing one here would yield results between 82% and 98% depending on how good the scheme is

Interesting because most beer cans attract a 15c/can charge, what were you buying that it was attracting a 25c charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I'm guessing it was 8 cans of 500ml beer at 15c a can equaling the €1.20 added deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Some thoughts as this goes on. I've tried another time to use the machines, fitting it in around my normal life, and I'm up to 60-70% of scanned items accepted. I've paid deposits on 100% of them. Shops pocketing the difference.

Also, the total price should be displayed. Display a breakdown if you want but the law here was always the full price should be shown to the customer (so you can't advertise ex VAT prices to a consumer, or put up the price for fuel without duties etc).

Any of my bottles/cans that get rejected go in either the black bin at the shop or the black bin at home. Call it malicious mal-compliance if you will but I'm not putting them in my green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I was in my local Aldi and the machines were out of order with bottles packed up in the slot. Inconsistency is alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I don't believe it's the shops pocketing the difference. Rather it's the Return quango and the system set up by the state who benefit from the gap between deposits paid and those given back. It's a pretty good business model. I suppose a lot of it gets used up oiling the wheels of the scheme, subsidising machines, collection, expenses, salaries and benefits like pensions & health care and so on.

But if the shop is charging a deposit, where they didnt pay one to the distributor..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You're implying illegality then. Report them to the Gardaí, if you can find them.

Could be out on their 30 mins daily roads duty or protecting our politicians from local protestors.

What I'm saying is, I have beer cans from Aldi in the house that there isn't even a barcode on, let alone a logo, but they charged me a deposit. How can (pun not intended) I return a can that I paid a deposit on, if there's no barcode?

I'm not going to bother the gardai, I don't think they can do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

That's how the scheme is funded, deposits charged and not being redeemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Aldi owe you 60 cent.

They shouldn't have charged the deposit.

If you have a receipt maybe try to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Today's IT article.

As someone else said earlier in the thread you can't really judge things based on one person's experience but thought a couple of points from the article were worth highlighting.

Interesting to note though that Re-turn are again saying that people who experience difficulty using the scheme should contact them. We know this is bogus from this thread.

If individuals have any challenges in engaging with the scheme, please contact Re-turn. We are eager to assist you and your mother to find solutions to make it work for you both.

In addition I found the following quote from the Re-turn statement at odds with what we've been told the funding model is. I think there needs to be greater clarify on how unclaimed deposits are treated.

Re-turn is a non-profit organisation funded solely by beverage producers and suppliers. While unclaimed deposits will be reinvested into the scheme and used to fund Re-turn initiatives, we highly encourage consumers to return their drinks containers to get their deposit back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The woman paying 2% of her income on deposits is obviously paying multiples of that for the actual bottles; and should put the effort that was put in to complaining about this in to complaining about her water supply.

If the story isn't absolute gubbins, that is; cause there's other details that scream shaggy dog story.

I didn't read about a woman who has to buy all her water? She should buy 5 litre bottles. No deposit on bottles over 3 litres. And it would work out cheaper than the base price of any volume covered by the deposit scheme. I presume this was mentioned in the discussion, as it is so obvious?

The article mentions:

Jane’s mother is not able to lift five-litre bottles of water – which are exempt from the scheme – as they are too heavy.

I misread his statement. I thought the price went from €16.20 to €18.20 which would be suggestive of 25c deposits. That's my bad!

Interestingly the Guinness nitrosurge can is 558ml so an 8 pack of that would have attracted a €2 deposit

Both women have health problems which probably make the 5 litre bottles difficult to handle.

Arthritis in the hands/arms can make lifting and pouring from containers weighing 5 kilo full almost impossible.

I recall that some years ago there was a tap attachment available that fit the 5 litre bottles. I don't know if they are still on sale.

This is the problem, I'm not bothered over 60 cents or something to go and argue. And I love a good argument!

That's not the After Hours spirit :)

You must treat that 60 cents as if it is €60.

No real alternative remedy comes to mind.

It's something the shops are getting away with because we are too nice 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I use a funnel. I find it works reasonably well as long as I don't get distracted mid pour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Likewise. It's amazing how much of my recyclable waste has 'accidentally' ended up in the black bin since this scam was introduced.

Advertisement