Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

which machines did you use? all return logo?

I’ve only used Dunnes ones so far but all have worked fine. Lidls are a joke for uptime.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭esker72

I'd love to see the stats on what % of bottles that go in machines are actually paid out. My experience on my three visits was about 60% got paid out on. That led me to give up and just chuck them in the green bin like I always did. An interesting side effect is now instead of buying 2l bottles of Diet Coke, I'm now buying 5l bottles of water to go in the fridge instead. That's probably better for me so every cloud has a silver lining. I think they'll end up increasing the deposit to try to force people into using the crappy machines but given the abysmal performance of the machines so far, that may just push the prices to the point where some people stop buying these drinks. The recycling will never get to 90% but the number of units may drop which might be a good enough result in itself. Someone might then ask the question why they didn't just bring in a tax and not bother spending millions on machines and maintenance and pissing the whole country off.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,764 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mr Price claiming all their stores do manual returns, asked in one, they had no clue what I was talking about. No one is complying with their obligation to have a machine, or do manual returns, they sign up to manual returns to avoid the cost of machines, but in reality they don't do manual returns at all, even though the regulations says they need to have one or the other if they have the space/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Aldi, do you mean the machine or the can had the logo? A few coke cans had a QR on it that I wasn't convinced was a proper one as it had a "Scan for more" printed beside it but some of them were taken so who knows. I didn't care enough to spend much more time, it is a bit of a slow process and only one machine, my kid will be doing it for pocket moneygoing forward, leave them at the machine while I do the shop.

I think the reason for not another tax was that the money isn't the issue, but that just because alot of boards users recycle, it would appear that the rest of the country is not as good at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no scheme QR code. Coke have had their own marketing QR code for ages, including on non deposit cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You can't think of one?

How about a review of the scheme that had been in place for a few decades - see if it can be tweaked somehow? A lot of people used this scheme religiously. If the scheme mechanics don't allow for enough "counting" of collection rates then that aspect of it needs to be tweaked.

Looks look at the bigger issue with collection though (with this scheme also) the "on the go" stuff. If people don't take their empties home with them to recycle there, they need to have some easy way to do it while on the go. I dunno - perhaps a machine as advanced but maybe smaller than the DRS machine? Or some addition of more recycle bins in our environment?

Again, I don't have the details - I am't a consultantancy firm on multiples of millions for input but those to areas would be easiest to tweak.

We've had to deal with increased costs of a majority of drinks in the past few months as a result of this scheme, more awkward recycling methods, a higher cost to our environment overall and best of all, lower recycling rates.

I don't see any of those things improving after June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

Any container needs to have the Irish return logo to be accepted, QR codes don’t come into it. It’s all based around the barcodes. Previously multipacks wouldn’t have barcodes on each can but now they do if they’re new stock. It sounds like you were just putting non DRS containers into the machine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I’ve noticed there’s (still) no Re-Turn logo on the Robinsons Barley Water bottles (both orange & lemon flavours) but they both pay out when you put them in the machine. The normal Robinsons bottles, apple & blackcurrant for example (& anything not the flavoured barley water versions I’d guess) are rejected & don’t pay out.

Worth trying any bottles you have. Try them in the machines but expect to bring them home & recycle them in your normal recycling wheelie bin at home if they get rejected.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Easier to use the barcode checker on the return site in advance.

Plenty of stuff that may or may not have had a charge but will pay out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Escapees

Actually I personally find the re-turn barcode checker useless in that you have to manually enter the barcode to perform the check. Granted you can use a third party barcode scanner app to scan the container and generate the barcode number but this is messy. It is actually easier for most to just try the can or container in a machine and confirm whether it is recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not sure it'll get that far though, as the manufacturers, distributors and retailers will be on the war path if their sales figures are falling, jobs are being lost and Revenue won't like the fall in consumer taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

Hard to believe in 2024 we have to enter a barcode into a computer to find out if we are entitled to our €.15

Some were taken the second time, there were 4 non DRS containers (beer cans I had thrown in), the rest looked the same as the others. Apologies QR code/Barcode, whatever, I paid the deposit on them, they had the return/recycle logo. I had presumed the code was the QR code that Coke have on their cans. The beer cans I paid the deposit on but obviously an error in the shop, they had no markings for return. Not giving out, i don't actually care that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It was a few year back, I could get 8 cans of beer for €8.95, now the same 8 cans are €15.20. Up the greens and alcohol ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

No, honestly I can't think of another internationally used scheme that can bring our recycling rates to 90%+, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

MUP was responsible for the increase in the retail price of off licence beer.

Beer can still be bought at the MUP price (check out the Booze Bargains thread).

If you are having trouble getting deposits back on cans a handy workaround is to buy glass bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't know of any internationally used scheme that can bring our recycling rates to 90% or indeed any countries recycling rates to that level. No country in the world is getting to that level of recycling.

What I am suggesting is that a comprehensive review of what was working from our existing recycling schemes instead of a lazy, expensive and environmentally unfriendly scheme that looks at collection rates for a few specfic types of items while screwing over the general population would have been more beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

I can definitely say that it has changed how I shop, to date I haven’t bought anything with the DRS deposit charge on it & there are some item which now have the deposit charge which I would have purchased regularly.
    Instead of a few cans of beer at the weekend for the OH, I buy bottles, which he says taste nicer, the bottle bank in our area is now open full time (in the local Co Co yard) & the area kept well so no problem with recycling bottles……

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We have now just stopped buying cans and bottle. Tried to work with this scheme for a while but have come to the realization that it is just a scam and will cost us money in the long run. A couple of weeks ago we went up the north and as well as the usual beer haul, we brought a coke haul (i know) home with us too. When thats run out we will just stay off the coke til we go up north again and buy some more. Maybe we will even give it up altogether. But we have totally stopped buying anything in bottles or cans in the shopping now.

But our waistlines might yet be happy for this scheme. But it is a scam, no two ways about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭esker72

This should be the case however we've already seen that a lot of the manufacturers and retailers have slipped in price increases alongside the deposits so they seem to be willing to roll that dice in the hope of making a bit more margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LV-426

Bought 8 pack of beer at local Centra and noted price was €17 and was thinking that's a bit pricey as expected price to be €16.20 with DRS. Didn't realise DRS was applied at the till making actual price €18.20! Left them back. Only in Ireland would retailers and brewers take the opportunity to price gouge when the waters are muddied with the deposit scheme.

The price of the item and the deposit are supposed to be clearly and separately marked on the shelf.

Price of beer goes up and down all the time.

Retailers want to make the MUP price look better for offers.

Of course if you're not going north it is actually the best you can do so buy it when it drops to MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I don't think the price of the "deposit" and the retail price of an item should be separated. Put them in together. So people can clearly see that 12 bottles of sparkling water are now nearly 7 euro in tesco.

More bad press for it today in the nationals. It's a shambolic implementation of a poorly thought out system.

The scheme should have been voluntary with a token given for returning bottles rather than increasing the price of things. I have a recycle bin. I am being charged twice for a service I can only use once. As usual in this country it's all about the stick rather than the carrot.

I prefer to see the price of the item I'm buying and the deposit separate.

Just on your voluntary idea, how would it be funded ?

Well how is it funded at the moment? Who pays for the drivers, the lorries etc?

That's all been gone over in the thread several times.

It's quite clearly laid out.

How would your voluntary scheme pay out to people who never paid a deposit ?

In the interest of the environment and saving the planet we should set up a scheme whereby people are rewarded for returning bottles. This should be funded from general taxation. There is plenty of money there to do it.

Come on mate. If the environment is as important as they are making out it would be well worth it.

But hey, we all know this is BS. All of the world power increasing their carbon footprint. What we do on this island makes zero difference. Nothing.

I see.

I thought you were serious there for a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I find it quite poor that the price of the deposit isn't baked into the larger of the two prices. When you're walking around the supermarket you often don't have the time to examine everything in detail. The large price you see should be the price you're going to pay at the til. Instead of €4.85 this is actually €6.65.

Advertisement