Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If our councils would put recycling bins in our towns instead of just general rubbish bins, then we can recycle on the go. Instead of this system.

Aldi have put that cage there to collect those items, it's not exactly abandoned on the floor.

Hopefully the staff and company complain to Return, and get these machines working, or better yet, banished to wherever the e-voting machines are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

People being people will just throw all sorts of **** in there unless there's some incentive for them to do otherwise.

The Marina market in Cork is a good example where they have separate bins for general waste, recycling and compost but people just chuck their waste in any of the bins, not giving a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wouldn't expect a shop assistant to have to sort through paper, plastic, cardboard and who knows what else.

The machines are Aldi's responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

The only data I'm interested in is how many items have been returned as a percentage of items for which a deposit has been charged.

You've agreed in your post that Re-Turn would have this data so why can't they release it instead of saying we're up to x amount of items returned.

Stock outside the scope of the scheme is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Their CEO was interviewed on RTE radio prior to launch and was quite clear that house bound people should phone his office if they had difficulty with getting deposits back and that they/ he would sort it. That he could give such a loose response to an obvious question, shows that he was not on top of the task or capable of implementing the scheme fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,966 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Occam's razor. If the figures were good, they'd be released with fanfare.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭jj880

Translation: "Ignore the house bound and old feckers later. Jackpot!".

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Thanks for the responses - I didn’t know that there was a manual return option so good to know about mr price, I will try the Lidl machine also. Thanks.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just to explain what I am doing. You are an articulate and considered poster, I am sure you can appreciate where I am coming from and what I am trying to do.

In the absence of any clear data (we both agree there) I am interested in trying to establish what % of items sold today would be sold with deposit. I have set out my hypothesis (that it is above 90%), I have provided my methodology and I have provided my data. I have opend this all up to scrutiny and invited people who may have better data to share it so that if my number is wrong we get something more accurate.

The way to challenge a hypothesis is to provide alternative data, of an equal or higher standard. You have not done this as yet, you have given an anecdote and an opinion that supermarket shopping is not representative of the market. Nobody else on here, i.e. other than you, has commented my claim of the number being 90% or more.

So I say my hypotheses stands until something better is provided, by you or by anyone else. I would be very happy to accept a real number in place of my own, as I say my motivation here is to get any idea of what it is - I am not here to debate personal anecdotes.

I am aware that I am conducting shelf counts, which do not equate to sales, but I am confident any number I produce underestimates the actual % because the items I see for sale with no deposit tend to be sub-brand, unusual flavours, slow moving items, etc - not the items that sell in volume. For example, of the 2 stores I went to in the last 2 days, the only coca cola item I found with no deposit was a 500ml vanilla flavoured bottle.

I will report data as I see it, and if I find any contrary data myself, or anyone else posts better data I will accept I am then wrong with my 90%.

In addition to the online shopping data I previously posted details from 2 in store visits (post 4093), and I have since made 2 more store visits. I am going to be in a few different locations around Ireland in the coming days so I will try to post others.

• Fri 12 April, Centra Store, Midlands - 132 items in chiller, 9 no deposit (93.2% with deposit)
    • Fri 12 April, Spar at M7 Plaza - 109 items in chiller, 4 no deposit (96.33% with deposit)
    • Wed 17 April, Gala / Filling Station, Laois - 79 items in chiller, 21 no deposit (73.2% with deposit)
    • Thurs 18 April, Supervalu Portlaoise - 171 items in chiller 1, 27 no deposit, 108 in chiller 2, 10 no deposit (86.7% with deposit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Noticed a pallet of pepsi max 2 litre bottles 4.08 for 2 bottles, not surprised it was a barely touched. (not sure if that included or needed the 50c on top of that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Actually i didnt say that. I said product put on the market, not product sold. Im not sure if Return has the data for product sold. The scheme charges the producer the deposit, the producer charges the retailer the deposit, the retailer charges the customer.

Re-turn remits to the retailer based on the returns that they make, the rvms are hooked into the return iT system, but I dont know that the sales information is.

They may have that sales data, but i wouldnt be sure of it. Once all the product on the market is in scope then you can work out the return rate based on product on market.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,608 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd say it is fairly safe to assume that Re-Turn has already pocketed a considerable amount of money and will continue to do so until someone calls a halt to this nonsense.

It will be allowed labour on for some time as we all play environmental theatre.

As for the point, the producers / wholesalers would have a fairly good idea what has been sold, as a lot of ordering now by retailers is automated, especially for beverages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

I think somebody needs to make / clear out some room at the storage facility where we keep the old e-voting machines..

Because a week after our bin collectors say that they will need to put up their fees, because all the good stuff is gone from the recycle bins, That's when it all kicks off ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

I've no idea what your disagreement is with what I said in my previous post. I never referred to product sold either.

You said Re-Turn would have data on products put on the market. I said products that have had a deposit charged.

There's no difference. As you've said yourself the producer is charged a deposit.

The e voting machines are history long since.

Scrapped and gone forever, no loss.

We have already had numerous reports of bin companies increasing charges.

So far nobody has posted a breakdown of the Increases showing the proportion allocated to the loss of recyclables.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭3d4life

"So far nobody has posted a breakdown of the Increases showing the proportion allocated to the loss of recyclables."

and why would they ?

Unlimited companies incorporated outside the state ……

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭nachouser

They'll be binned off, eventually. The stick is to increase prices. Nobody is going to pay 1€ per item, but that is the only stick left in the playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see they have started to pay off TikTokers to promote it

Well isn't that a wonderful use of the unclaimed deposits...give them to tiktok "stars" who will sell their soul and promote any tripe once they're getting paid to talk sh!t.

• Advertisement

Why indeed ?

But we still don't have the information.

Maybe if we hadn't privatised waste the way we did.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You'd think no one in the country has heard about it and they need to get the message out

And "pay off" is an apt phrase

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

I would imagine if it were to stop tomorrow - The payouts the Tax payers will have to make to Re-Turn and the shops will be mega to compensate them for the money they were counting on making…

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not going to go away, despite some peoples deepest hopes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We have always recycled EVERYTHING. Even before it was cool to recycle.

My opinion on this re-turn business. It is an abomination and a scam and is going to do nothing except alienate people who are fed up being bashed over the head and wallet over the environment.

How anyone could say this scheme is anything but a total failure and scan is beyond me.

How could you possibly know that?

Also I think most people are just hoping they can use a working machine at this stage.

I don't know any TikToker that is going to make a lad walk 2 miles to a broken machine for a 15 cent voucher he isn't going to get.

But isn't it super how they are spending our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I read lots of similar comments about voting machines. And they hadnt even nearly the same weekly interactions as people have with this re-turn scam.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I watched them change a bin in Lidl yesterday. Every bottle came out full and intact. I said the guy don't it that is expected then to be crushed and he explained that the engine in the machine wasn't strong enough. They're looking to get a stronger engine put in.

I've a feeling that's why Lidl are looking for the lids to be taken off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭jj880

First it was "the same scheme works in other countries". Back comes the research for several similar schemes in different countries. None as far over the line and stacked against the consumer as Re-Turn. Completely debunked.

Then it was "the EU made us create Re-Turn". Once again bollox. Our gombeens came up with it and surprise surprise higher deposits are now being floated in the media.

So now its "its not going away". Super stuff.

Some wont hear a bad word about the design and concept of this scam. Wont even admit changes need to be made. You'd think they gave birth to Re-Turn. Its bizarre.

Advertisement