Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I'm focused on addressing the catastrophic unfairness that exists in Gaelic games that comes from Dublin's unfair advantages. Only a split of Dublin will do this. Yes, other reforms can and should be considered but everything else pales in comparison with the urgency of splitting Dublin to help the GAA. I'm glad you accept that population is a natural advantage. But unfortunately there is nothing that offsets the population advantage in Dublin's case- they just have additional unfair advantage after additional unfair advantage piled on top.

Well Dublin divisional sides would still have to play some games at home. No, they shouldn't play essentially every single game at home, as Dublin do currently, including finals and semi-finals, but there would be some. I'd like things to be fair for all teams. And I love all counties, I want to see a level playing-field, and the best way to do this is by splitting Dublin. Your proposals that involve pointless tinkering with Provincial competitions, which should be abolished anyway and are only a part of inter-county competitions, do nothing to address Dublin's unfair advantages.

Dublin alone are uniquely unfairly advantaged, as discussed. No other county is. While there are discrepancies in say population and funding between other counties, these utterly pale in comparison with Dublin's differences- that's why Dublin alone should be split. The fact you have to reference a game from 9 years ago shows how utterly bereft of arguments you are. But losses, even hammerings, are not an issue as long as they come fairly. This is true for all counties except for Dublin. In Dublin's case, when they win currently, they've won unfairly. When they do occassionally lose, they were still unfairly advantaged, they just didn't take full advantage of it. This is one of the reasons why splitting Dublin will help Dublin- they can finally take some real pride in their wins, unlike at present.

There has been a marked improvement in the Dublin hurlers, no doubt about it. But just because a team doesn't win every year doesn't mean they aren't unfairly advantaged (this holds true for the footballers as well). For instance if a team started in the Premier League with a 10-point advantage every year, but don't win, they are still unfairly advantaged. Similarly, Dublin start with insane advantages in population, funding and playing at home. Even when they don't win, they remain unfairly advantaged.

Improvement from before the overfunding really started in earnest in the mid-2000s. Yes they always had a population advantage in Dublin but that was only grounds for a two way split. It's only since the funding blew up that a 4+ way split really became necessary. But as above, even a team doesn't win every year, it doesn't mean they aren't unfairly advantaged. For instance, Dublin were unfairly advantaged population wise in the late 1990s, even though they weren't winning much then.

• Advertisement

They play other sports outside the capital too, that's not unique to Dublin. A 4+ way split is indeed necessary now, Dublin's unfair advantages have just been allowed to persist for too long. It's not just population, it's also funding, playing at home etc. The combination of advantages Dublin enjoys are probably unique in sport.

How do you propose dealing with Dublin's unfair advantages if not by splitting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Who cares about China and India in soccer? They are not the subject of this discussion, stop trying to derail it.

What is your solution for the dominance of Dublin? A DUP style, "Dublin says NO" is not enough, what do you propose?

Thanks for that anecdote. It proves absolutely nothing. There is a lot of competition from other sports outside the Capital as I said.

Can you provide some evidence for China pumping in vast swathes of money? And then compare that to other countries? China and India don't have same combination of advantages that Dublin have. If China had a bigger gap between it and the second biggest country (although India now has a larger population than China anyway) than the gap between the second biggest country and the smallest, had millions and millions more in funding than everyone else, played all their games at home etc., then we would have a situation roughly equivalent to what Dublin enjoy. But that's not the case.

Are you really going to claim that Dublin aren't unfairly advantaged over every other county? That's clearly not correct. Even most Dublin supporters don't think that is true anymore.

It's unfair because Dublin alone get to play all consequential games at home, have received tens of millions from the GAA, their sponsors, the Irish government etc more than every other county in recent decades, have a playing pool that dwarfs even the second biggest county etc. There are differences between other counties, sure, but nothing of the scale that Dublin have. And then they have all these advantages in combination too. That's why I and other neutrals want Dublin to be split, for the good of the GAA (and Dublin would benefit too). If you said something like that I'd probably be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

thank you for finally conceding that you have no interest in addressing the catastrophic unfairness that has existed for far longer due to the unfair advantages of you own beloved Kerry. To be fair I suspect most of us realised what your agenda was even when you were hiding away your allegiances earlier in the thread but there’s a certain integrity to having it all on the table.

I don’t think even the Kerry county board, who, as noted throughout this thread, have enjoyed decade upon decade of unfair advantages, have ever come up with the idea of gerrymandering their way to an all Ireland. You must be very proud of your innovation….

There are differences between counties other than Dublin, that's true, but nothing of the scale, nature, combination and duration of advantages that Dublin enjoy. All other differences pale in comparison. And they have them in combination. The stadium has to be situated somewhere, that's true, but Dublin play all their home league games too as well, and there is no reasons some semi-finals couldn't move to Cork/Limerick etc especially when the capacity is no longer needed as interest continues to decline.It's not about success alone, it's success in Dublin's case that has come off of a grossly unfair platform. So I wouldn't split Limerick or anyone else, just Dublin.

I didn't concede anything of the sort, please don't lie, it reflects very poorly on you. I am willing to concede that I want to help all counties, and yes, I want to help the smaller counties like Leitrim in particular. No other county other than Dublin has unfair advantages- that's why Dublin alone should be split. I'm not in a position to influence anything, this is just a friendly discussion about how we deal with "The dominance of Dublin GAA" as the thread title says.

How do you propose dealing with Dublin's unfair advantages if not by splitting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Needmoretea

I am new to this thread and not too familiar on how clubs and counties are run and how they manage their resources, but can funding be increased and specifically used for counties (if not already done) especially for the counties that really need it. I am not sure how it works so forgive my questions. Do clubs or county boards apply for grants or funds from the GAA or their provincial council? It would be better to see what exactly is needed and spend the money in struggling counties, for things like coaching, player development, facilities and so on. I don't think anyone would like their county split or amalgamated with another, but there has to be a more positive way of dealing with the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

And what happens when the two semi finals are Dublin V Dublin and Dublin V Dublin.

This would be far more farcical than anything. There are 34 county teams in the All Ireland Championships. Each county is fairly represented. Suggesting splitting any county is ridiculous. Dublin have not always dominated despite the population advantage. And although in a golden era, Dublin will not dominate forever. I find it funny nobody ever suggested splitting the Kerry team in the 1970s, Kilkenny Hurlers in 00's or any other team.

Croke Park has to be situated somewhere and it was built in Dublin as the capital and biggest population. Dublin do play matches outside Croke Park but once we get to provincial finals and All Ireland games why wouldn't be use the home of GAA and the biggest stadium we have to accommodate the fans?

Please don’t accuse me of lying., I’m simply responding to the words you posted. If you’re not willing to own it don’t put it on the page. It’s particularly galling given your willingness to twist other poster inputs when it suits you.

we’ve detailed extensively the long list of unfair advantages Kerry have enjoyed in racking up their haul of Munster and all irelands. You still have to adequately address these points - I say address as opposed to waffling and pretending you’ve answered.

how do you propose dealing with Kerry’s long history of unfair advantages?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hang on now -

Dublin population 2 times Cork Population.

Cork population 15 time Leitrim Population.

I'm sorry, but I dont accept that logic. By this logic, Dublin has a greater advantage over Cork than does over a village with 100 people living in it.

Yes in absolute numbers Dublin dwarves other counties - but is your problem inequity within the GAA, or is it inequity within the GAA where it concerns Dublin?

Regarding your point on funding - I'll admit i dont know the answer - how does the budget for the Dublin gaa team compare to that of Kerry or the other leading teams? Do you have the figures?

Also -

What is wrong with the solution of taking Dublin out of Leinster?

And

Why is splitting Dublin a solution, and joining other counties not a solution? Kerry clubs do it to great effect.

You're lying again. I'll stop saying it when you stop lying, which you should do immediately as it reflects poorly on you and your argument. You haven't detailed anything of the sort because it would be impossible to truthfully do so. No county other than Dublin is unfairly advantaged. That's why Dublin alone should be split. You're now doing a very childish thing of just taking an argument that has merit in Dublin's case (i.e that they are unfairly advantaged and should be split) and repeating the words verbatim in a case where it's nonsense. dunnerc used to do the same repeatedly, it's neither funny nor makes for an interesting discussion.

The fact you think that even two Dublin divisional sides would be unbeatable for other teams shows how crazy it is to instead concentrate their unfair advantages into a single team! What you're saying is grounds for a larger split, I agree with that- 4+ teams as I always say.

There are 33 teams (Kilkenny don't compete) and one county, Dublin is not fairly represented- they're unfairly represented because of the unique combination of advantages they enjoy. It's not cyclical, and it's not about whether a team wins or not- it's about ensuring the playing field is level which it surely is not currently. People didn't mind Kilkenny winning because they did it fairly- sadly, we cannot say the same for the Dublin team. Home advantage is an advantage unfortunately (just as population and funding are), you cannot wish that away much as you'd like to. It's been a large part of why Dublin have won the All-Irelands over the last decade. Definitely they'd have lost at least one of those games vs Mayo if they weren't constantly playing in their home stadium. The capacity is actually rarely required these days anyway- it used to be for games like Dublin vs Meath but those days are gone now, in large part because of declining interest due to Dublin's success built off their platform of unfair advantages.

Look at the absolute figures, which is what is important here.

Gap between Dublin and Cork: ~1m
    Gap between Cork and Leitrim: ~500k

There probably is a critical level of population below which counties would be completely uncompetitive vs Cork, but no county has reached it. But there is also a critical level where population gaps become enormously advantageous and we can definitely say that Dublin have reached that! You almost reached the correct conclusion but let me spell it out here: The population advantage Dublin have over Cork (and by extension all other counties) is far greater than the population advantage Cork have over anyone else- it's one of the reasons Dublin alone should be split.

Funding figures have been provided countless times over the course of this thread, so definitely feel free to search for them. Taking on board the Games Development money, money from sponsors, money from the Irish government etc., it's been shown dozens, if not hundreds, of times how Dublin again are uniquely unfairly advantaged in this area.

The problem with Dublin moving out of Leinster is it does not address the unfair advantages Dublin have. By leaving them as a single team, nothing is solved. The Leinster Championship is only one part of the Championship too- Dublin's unfair advantages are also felt in the other provinces, the Qualifiers, the All-Ireland etc. We need to rid all parts of the All-Ireland of the current unfairness. Not to mention that the Leinster Championship would also continue to be harmed, from the knock-on impact of the damage to the prestige, integrity and fairness that comes from Dublin alone being favoured.

I've already said voluntary amalgamations can be offered but the split of Dublin should be mandatory. It does seem like a lot of Dublin supporters are opposed to it at present despite the clear benefits both to Dublin and the game as a whole. In time though, most Dublin supporters would row behind their new divisional sides and Gaelic games would be massively enhanced.

• Advertisement

your whole approach to this is basically to ignore any facts to disagree with and just keep shouting the same nonsense. It’s actually kind of childish and reflects incredibly poorly on you.

I think it’s safe to say that the alternate reality youve tied yourself into where your team are the bestest and fairest and everyone else is cheating doesn’t resonate with a lot of the posters here. You’ve been provided with the evidence to support everything that’s been asserted, as well as a host of solutions that would improve the game for all counties, not just your own. The sensible thing if you actually care about the game. as opposed to your own team and their place in the roll of honour, would be to engage in the thoughtful debate that many other posters have offered as opposed to just shouting at the tide.

again, how do you propose to address the unfair advantages that have been detailed against your own team so that every team plays the sport on a level basis? If you can’t acknowledge where that issue comes from and consider how to creatively address it then you’re really wasting your time looking at other teams to hobble, it’s just looking to gerrymander to give your team a leg up

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

One of the major problems with your solution is that it is untried and untested. There are no home stadiums for the divisional sides, there is no history of identity. As I said before, the best way of testing this out and trying if it works is to take Kerry out of the Munster championsip and replace them with their divisional sides. They have been in existence for a long time, presumably have designated home stadia and also have a traditional following. Kerry must be tired of winning 82 Munster championships, in fact Kerry people used to say that they only travel for All-Irelands.

So let's be having the existing Kerry divisions as a decade-long trial and in the meantime Dublin can look at its options. Wins all round for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Wil you quit about splitting Kerry or Kilkenny! These counties do not have an unfair advantage, they are just good.

Dublin boosters are shameless in posting complete nonsense instead of engaging with the substance of the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement