Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The exemption was originally supposed to be 150 square metres, in the "consultation" it was increased to 250 square metres, seems to be the largest such exemption for the scheme going. That at a stroke took a huge number of outlets out from accepting returns, especially manual returns.

Another example of where we didn't just copy the schemes from elsewhere, and needs to be looked at if we don't meet the targets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭TokTik

Succinct survey.

“Have you used an RVM machine in the past 10 days?

No

Thank you for your participation. “

I’m guessing they only want good news stories for a puff piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Submissions were welcome about scheme in 2020, 364+ made https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/cf94c-deposit-return-scheme-consultation-on-potential-models-for-ireland/

Tomra made a submission and they won the contract https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/153847/b61cba66-bed5-4e24-bede-4291504f37b2.pdf#page=null .

Tomra has 50+ years’ experience working in deposit return systems around the world, across all parts of the value chain. TOMRA’s approximately 82,000 reverse vending machines, in over 60 markets, collect more than 45 billion drink containers for recycling each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It might be good for your mental health but could damage the RVM.

Some people hold on to the rejects and try them in another machine. I had a go at that once and it worked.

Shops that subscribe to RePak have no legal obligation to take back packaging.

Lidl just provide a limited take back as a customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A map which, eleven weeks on, is still incomplete. This is a major fuckup by re-turn; there are machines that exist that are not on the map.

The flagship Supervalu Lucan which has at least a twin track machine if not two of them isn't on the map; only the mini machine in O'Briens in that centre is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Return rate is about 20% assuming only half the stock sold since introduction has required a deposit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Half is probably about right across the time period; starting at virtually nothing to significantly over half now.

Another user claims its ~90% in scope now based on retailer websites; but that does not tie in with what I'm buying at all and I'm not a particularly atypical customer.

Very random selection of 6 containers bought last week in my local Centra - 3 Irish beers, 3 soft drinks; only one soft drink being "odd" - lead to zero deposits paid or reclaimable. Could have bought 3 different beers and 3 Cokes and paid 6 deposits of course.

They've still got big sellers like Monster still without deposit. Going to probably be a lot of stuff flogged off cheap in June at this rate.

I think there may well be some beer bargains from mid May.

Retailers will have a choice, either reduce to MUP price and clear them or risk fines for selling without deposit after June 1st.

Some slower moving premium beers might be good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on some stuff in SuperValu that's gathering dust since Christmas but no sign of them reducing it yet anyway.

• Advertisement

I've already seen barcodeless Heineken slab/box cans split out and stickered at MUP. Harder to shift stuff that often sells close to/at MUP anyway so best to give it as long as possible to go.

All the premium Belgians etc my local place sells are nearly always glass so no bargains to be had there unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They'll probably keep reporting numbers and appear happy so far comparing to schemes in other countries but it'll be June 2025 before you can really start to evaluate the success of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Once one environmental scientist states the deposit is too low we all know what happens down the road. No matter how this goes the fact the people in charge of it can never be held accountable is a joke because it's a CLG and god forbid somehow they could be all you need nowadays is a doctors note to avoid answering those awkward questions like so many lately have used.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

It asks if you’ve visited a machine in last ten days. Then it asks if it was working. I completed the survey and I’ve only had (bar one time) negative experience of the system.

My local machine still not working. That’s over 3 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

And when your waste collection company is not getting the valuable recycle items from your bin, do you think they will give you a credit for collecting less waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

for anyone who has used the vouchers at self service machines: if I have €2.50 worth of stuff to buy, but I have a voucher for 5.00, will I get the 2.50 back in change from the self service checkout? logic would say yes very simple procedure but logic…

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Escapees

Yes, but only if the self service machine is a cash/card type. If card only, you must print a receipt and go to customer services to claim the amount owed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

It is a clear shute which drops into the bottle collection hopper. Once in the hopper the machine crushes them, accepted or rejected. The only difference is the belt or momentum propelling the item along.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Sorry, I didn't realise that.

I withdraw my accusation of industrial sabotage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nachouser

It seems fairly obvious that the majority of people are taking it as a price increase at the point of purchase and are just continuing on as normal, chucking stuff in their green bins (or just dropping it on the street, or throwing it out a car window, or putting it in one of the occasional on-street bins available) and not bothering to travel somewhere to queue to return, get a voucher and then queue to redeem the voucher.

Who knew:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

• Registered Users Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another joyous return from Lidl where both machines not working and dragging a big bag of cans and bottles back home with the shopping

The sooner the Greens are obliterated in the GE the better - useless shower with fanciful ideas and not a notion about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

I'm that other poster. I looked at websites at two points in March, it was over 80% then.

It's undoubtedly over 90% now.

I was in a couple of convenience stores last Friday and did a shelf label count on their chillers. One had 132 items, of which 9 had no deposit, the other had 109 of which 4 had no deposit.

Look, you can say your 6 items is 'not atypical' but when I give my estimate I try to look at as many items as I can. It's not just about items either, it's volumes ... So a canned craft beer that sells a couple of thousand bottles a month is not really meaningful when all of Coca Cola is deposit chargeable, etc. We are also 1 month past the date when non deposit items can be supplied, and the higher volume items sell mostly as fast moving goods.

You mention Monster and specifically state it's being sold without deposit. I checked 4 supermarkets just now for Monster drinks:

Dunnes - 26 items, all with deposit

Tesco - 20 items, all with deposit

SuperValu - 24 items, 19 with deposit

Aldi - 1 item, 1 with deposit

So Monster is above 90% too.

Supermarket websites don't reflect stock in all their own shops let alone no convenience stores - which is where most sales of non multipack <1L occur.

There are shops with Coca Cola products that aren't chargeable still.

Nothing at all suggests it's 90% or close to me, and your methodology remains as invalid as ever. It gives a snapshot of something but that something isn't the actual market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I'm thinking and could be wrong but even if the return payment was paid to you bank account then that would be in your quarterly bill to check.

But it would be a transfer of money and cost you.

Anyway I can't get to a RVM and will continue with green bin. It will cost alot but so did other sh1t they come up with and one just has to put up with it until someone stands up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This is a mandate from the EU for all member states by 2025, nothing to do with the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Isn't the mandate to reach a certain level of recycling rate? Not necessarily requiring this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭riddles

I’m no engineer but the first time I used the machine I felt like I used to Xmas morning when assembling a surprisingly flimsy Santa gift for the kids and praying to would last the day at least. Having the barcode reader under the barcode surely result in grime build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Shan Doras

I'm almost sure that it was said originally that nearly all retailers would have to accept returned bottles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Yes and then they realized they needed to get retailers onboard

Advertisement