Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options
1777879808183»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I'm not accepting it either. Whatever about the sniper lobsters but getting ganked by three crystal enemies when my character was not specced against their only weakness was a nightmare. Some of those dungeon bosses had some wild fluctuations in difficulty and a lot of them were like 'what about if we had 2... No 3 of that really annoying boss with a tracking overhead'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Cordell

Oh you mean balanced against you? No, but it's a fine balance between accessible enemies and really horrible ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I would absolutely consider the game balanced, considering the sheer amount of viable builds and permutations your own character can be, the level of enemies in different areas when balanced against the level you'll likely be when you get there in a normal playthrough (barring trap portals which send you to Caelid early etc), and the numerous ways you can just avoid or bypass enemies (compared to the more linear nature of previous Souls games). Not to mention the summons and incredible weapon arts.

In fact one of the main reasons I think Elden Ring is one of the greatest games of all time is the balance they were able to achieve and how they made arguably a more balanced game than most of the previous Souls games while taking Elden Ring open world and with more weapons and tools at your disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The mod is quite good actually.

I'm ok with it being tougher in some places. I'll just have to git gud😊

I've finished the game multiple times in vanilla so was looking for something a little different which the mod has provided.

I'd also agree vanilla ER is one of the best games ever made, exceptional in every area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The Spirit Ashes feature made this game a lot more accessible. It made some bosses trivial if used correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Just about to start this and never really played any of the Dark Souls games. Any general tips for starting off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't skip the tutorial area which is down a big hole. Having a good roll is more important than heavy armour. And the big horse guy outside the starting area, leave him alone until you are ready.

Other tips would be to not be afraid to look stuff up if you feel lost or confused. Also if you are having trouble with the main story path, there's an area down south which is low level and is worth exploring as well.

And stay away from Caelid at the start... Shudder.

Dying isn't a failure, it's a game mechanic. You will die a lot at the start, especially as it's your first Souls type of game, but that's okay. You lose your collected runes (currency) when you die, but if you get back to where you died (without dying again), you can collect the runes you lost.

Other than that, if an enemy is too hard for you, try to avoid it and leave it until later. When levelling up, don't level everything. It's better to focus on particular builds, so level Strength or Dexterity (but not both), and Faith or Intelligence. But at the start anyway, focus on levelling Vigor (health) and Endurance (Stamina).

Also, don't get surrounded by enemies. Pick them off slowly, and don't be afraid to run away if you're getting swamped.

As Retro says, don't be afraid to look things up, ask here, or Google for advice. These games aren't great at explaining things.

Other than that, enjoy!

One other thing is don't be put off if you lose a rake of runes to a death early on. What you lose will be absolute pittance to what you get off single enemies later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Cordell

While I'm old enough to have been gaming when first souls game came out it wasn't until Elden Ring that I actually enjoyed one. So you're not alone in this.

Farm runes when you're stuck. You will know when you find a group of enemies ripe for farming.

• Advertisement

One other thing about build. Don't be afraid if you screw up your build, early in the game you will get the ability to redistribute all your stats so even if you messed up or are intimidated by it you can respect very easily. It's a lot easier to respect in Elden ring than any other.

Definitely. I just remember my first go of a Souls game (well, Bloodborne), I hampered myself by trying to level everything at the start because I didn't understand you're more supposed to pick certain skills to focus on for different builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Maybe personal preference but the first 4 or 5 times you level up I would put all those points into vigor so that you have enough HP to tank a couple of hits from regular enemies. It'll make learning the combat easier since you've not played these type of games before. Then once you've levelled up a few times and started to figure the game out you can decide what type of character you want to build, strength / dexterity or intelligence / faith or whatever.

Vigor is poo. You are better off taking down enemies with less hits. HP goes up so little with vigor it doesn't make all that much of a difference while putting it on dex or str depending on build with a good scaling weapon can be the difference between taking an enemy out in 2 or 3 hits. I find in these games the longer an enemy is left alive the more chance they have of ruining our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say a good mix of Strength/Dexterity and Endurance are your best bet starting off. Being able to have a few extra attacks and blocks before needing to recharge the endurance bar.

Advertisement