Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Cats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can't even link gifs properly anymore on this dumpster fire site

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, I wonder how far out it is. Surely would have been in development for quite some time, if only officially announcing it now, could be fecking huge altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm guessing end of the year at the earliest. But they've a great track record of substantial DLC that are worth the wait.

I just hope they give enough notice for me to decide if I want to do another playthrough in advance of the DLC or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My continued stubborn refusal to play NG+ in a From game pending DLC continues to pay off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Great news about the DLC, I've not gone back to the game since finishing the main story, got a bit burned out on it but will defo come back for the DLC. Back playing Bloodborne on PS5 for my FromSoft fix, and man I wish they would make a sequel to it - what a masterpiece.

That's my big worry. I've completed pretty much everything on my main playthrough to the point where I don't want to have to do NG+ as even if I complete it I won't have everything done. Even after completing a second playthrough on a new save I ended up going back to my first save/character. But it means I might also be over-levelled for a DLC. Though I guess given how hard some of their previous DLCs have been, might not be a bad thing either.

But then, I kinda want to do NG+ if for no other reason than to be able to dual-wield Wing of Astels...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fantastic news. Any excuse to ignore my family again is welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I still havent played this, which is wild to me, given my love for soulsborne/sekiro, its been going on so long now i think im just gonna wait for the "complete" edition. Or maybe when this DLC/expansion gets released I'll dive in, just in case i get run over and killed haha 😄😫

Anyway, i have Demon souls installed on my new ps5 to tide me over 😁

I'm gonna keep my main save for the DLC in case it releases sooner rather than later and you need to be end game. I want to try a new build anyway so will start a new game and see how far I get but I've no idea what build to go for. My main save is a lord of blood build so want to try something new but anytime I do that in a Souls game, I gravitate to what I already know.

Any tips for a magic sword build? I wouldn't mind dual wielding but I like my shield too much. If there's a build I have in mind to start with, I could make a beeline to a certain area in the map for good equipment to match it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wonder if they'll actually, you know, fix the **** game on PC before the DLC gets released.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moonveil Katana is a monster for any INT / magic build. I did eventually do some respeccing for Rivers of Blood to take on Malenia, but Moonveil is glorious for pretty much the rest of the game.

Lots of good sorceries in the late game, but get Rock Sling early as it’ll make life a lot, lot easier for much of the early / mid game at least (and maybe beyond into the late game, honestly). Particularly handy for taking down the boss that gives you Moonveil, actually 😂

Glintstone crowns are fantastic armour when you get them, and there’s enough of them that you can pick one to suit your own play style.

Yeah as Johnny says, a Moonveil Dex/Int build works great, because the Moonveil is one of the best weapons in the game, but it also scales with Int which means you can have a staff in your off-hand for spells. You can get the Moonveil early enough (though it's in Caelid in a dungeon, and has a Magma Wyrm boss you have to beat to get it, so it's best left until Level 30+ or so) though even the starting katana is a great weapon for early game. My main build was mostly Moonveil until I switched to the Wing of Astel after beating the story. A Dex build can also leave you with a Rivers of Blood/Eleonoras Poleblade combo which is a strong bleed build.

I used to rely on shields a lot in previous Souls games but bar the start of Elden Ring, I didn't think the shields were useful enough with the range of enemies/bosses in the game. Plus I could rarely get the timing right for any kind of parry.

Excellent thanks lads, that sounds like the build I'm looking for! Agreed about the shields, it was mid to late game before I was finding any decent great shields. I don't like the thought of going full magic build, any previous Souls game I tried that in, I gave up fairly quick so the fact I still get to swing around a katana while whizzing off spells ticks my boxes.

Yeah I found magic to be much more viable in Elden Ring, but I'd still keep it as secondary to melee. It takes a while to find great spells or level up enough to use them, and by that point you're more tuned to fighting melee anyway. But the spells are great for pulling one or two enemies towards you at a time, or hitting enemies at a distance or who move quickly (a lot of the spells are homing). Even with the Moonveil I'd be trying to keep enough FP to spam the weapon art on it rather than using spells a lot of the time. The weapon art has great damage and stagger.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just got done with my NG+1 run. I initially wanted the 2nd play through to be a different style/build but ended up leaning more and more into what I knew.

I also wanted to beat the bosses without spirit ashes but that went out the window in the late game.

After 500 hours I think I'm done with this game now until the DLC dropped. Probably be over levelled for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I found a few dungeons and caves I hadn't explored, including that effin' "well" attached to the Cathedral Of The Forsaken where the abundance of bloodstains indicates how many people fell down the bloody thing. That being said it's getting to be a bit of a drag now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Update out today, includes Ray Tracing on console.

Don't know why they bothered, just fired it up on PS5 there and it's a slideshow fighting a few enemies with it on.

Patch Notes:

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/elden-ring-patch-notes-version-109

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Have to give this a try. I'm sure its janky, but probably looks amazing at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Finally getting through this a good bit, followed a guide and doing the questlines etc and im not long after killing Radhann which was a pain in the rear but I got there. Only about 75 hours clocked up now :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So after beating Radhann I moved on throught the underground and into the Sofria Aquaduct, bet the 2 knights in there (Dont even ask after how many attempts because it was alot) and then te twin gargoyle bosses. They were horrible to fight but after alot of cursing and what not I got them down :P

The Twin Gargoyles are one of my most hated boss fights in the game. They're an absolute pain.

Did you explore the arena you fight them in? Not sure if you're following any kind of guide or anything, but that area is well worth searching around....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Cordell

What about that DLC? Any news?

Yeah I am following a guide: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7RtZMiaOk8gdRf130w4gFYyhstL-5VRh

I am also running around most areas if there are places I think I havent done as I play through it :)

I read a rumour/leak yesterday that it will have a trailer at the Game Awards in December and will release in February. Grain of salt and all that.

Ah, good aul' FightinCowboy! His guides got me through a good chunk of Sekiro, then I followed his videos for Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. Didn't use his guides for Demons Souls (as it's a much smaller game with fewer areas off the main path so I was happy enough to belt away with it myself) or Elden Ring because I played it at launch, but still, his guides were definitely a key part in enjoying Souls games because I don't want to spent ages seeking out invisible walls or wondering "How the f*ck do I get up there..."

But also, by learning the patterns of how to identify these things through following his guides, that really helped me in Elden Ring to find a lot of these things myself.

Yeah I have to say he is fantastic, my eldest lad plays souls games and is class at them. He put me onto fighting cowboy as I was just running around in elden ring like a headless chicken but at least I have some structure now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Was checking the other Soulsborne games for the gap between game release and DLC release.

Dark Souls: 1 year.

Dark Souls 2: 4-6 months, three DLCs were released in 3 months.

Dark Souls 3: 8 months for the first with the second coming 4 months later.

Bloodborne: 8 months.

Elden Ring: Looking like 2 years.

All DLCs were substantial too so the Elden Ring DLC could be colossal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The thing about the other Soulsborne games is that you could stand to finish a playthrough in the span of a week so there was always time to play more, but when I played Elden Ring I was playing it for over a month because it was a long game so I wonder now how long it would be playing the main game and a DLC back to back. Could end up playing it for 2 months maybe. That's of course if you don't get bored with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

This is not an easy game to jump back into after 6 months of taking a break. I had 135 hours logged and got burned out. loaded it up yesterday and not a notion of whats going on. Did the cave of knowledge and came across a dungeon I'd missed, cleared that and then went up to my most northern site of grace where i adventured on into The Royal Capital down through the Sealed Tunnel where i dispatched another mini boss.

Back in the saddle!

Advertisement