Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's the one concern I have when DLC takes so long to release - it's hard to get back into a game after so long! I don't tend to have the time or inclination to start all over again in NG+, so yeah definitely going to be a trial by fire to get back into the groove once the DLC lands. It will likely have been the best part of two years between finishing up with the main game and playing the DLC. But of course, it's better to have something with substance and depth rather than something rushed out in six months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And from software DLC doesn't pull any punches. They usually have 2-3 new bosses that are harder than anything in the base game and 1 optional super boss. This Elden ring DLC might be a different size but I doubt it will be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭McFly85

Was thinking about that this morning. I’ve replayed a few From games but my play though of this was about 130 hours which I absolutely cannot imagine doing again!

will definitely look to refamiliarise myself with the game a couple of weeks ahead of the DLC if my backlog doesn’t look to bad(but the rate that 2023 is releasing bangers makes that unlikely too!).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I am very hopeful the DLC lands after I finally finish the main game. I have to say I dont think I will do a NG+ at all on this but you never know.

I would like to go back and play earlier parts of the game again to refresh my memory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really don't have time for a new playthrough and it did get to a point towards the end when I was well done with the game but there was another 30 hours left.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As brilliant as the game is, I do think the last third-quarter or so is probably the weakest and what keeps it from being peak From. The more linear run of levels and smaller regions just doesn't quite take advantage of the game's open-world design in the way those stunning opening 40-50 hours do. Still some great design, art and fights to enjoy (it's almost like a Dark Souls game at the end), but just doesn't quite take full advantage of the game's strongest assets and feels a tad disjointed as a result. Although perhaps that's just a consequence of such big ambition in the first place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I wouldnt say that, once getting to the frozen mountaintops for FG then into the Farm and onto the boss run at the end is hardly the games weakest part imo

I'm trying to write this in a non spoilery way as someone is still playing in the thread🙂

Really looking forward to the DLC myself, not sure weather to play with my ng6 guy, ng1 guy or a mage who never quite finished the game.

I don't think the final third is bad by any stretch - it's often inspired - and there are obviously weaknesses elsewhere (like the repetitive dungeons). More that I think the game really does something even more special when you have the bigger landmasses and are encouraged to explore and discover them. There's some of that later on, but also a fair stretch of more linear levels, fewer paths off the beaten track, and lengthy boss gauntlets. That holds its own appeal, of course, and From still do that very well.

I have no issues with the end of Elden ring. It was just too much of a good thing. 120 hours would used to be the most I'd ever put aside on a game and it would normally have to be a very special open world rpg that didn't waste my time, something like Xenoblade or a persona game. However once I hit that 100 hour mark I just started to get very tired and weary of the game. It's just a tad too long. By 150 hours I was glad it was over despite how much I enjoyed it but the end really felt like I was pushing through just to be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The game did start to feel like it was dragging a bit in the last few areas, but I put that down more to just feeling jaded by that point in the game with how long it takes to get there, doing as much exploration as possible throughout, and maybe just a more desolate and uninteresting landscape. I don't really think it's in any way inherently weaker though. Particularly as when you get past that into the Haligtree area, that's some of the most interesting and challenging content in the game. It's just miles 18-24 in a marathon, by that point you're just tired and wanting to see that the finish line is in sight.

I'm certainly tempted to do a NG+ run before the DLC comes out, as you won't have to explore everywhere or fight everything, and I'm probably already pretty overlevelled for the first half due to how much I played through in my main character. That said, I might just wander around a bit in some of the tougher areas for a few days and get my muscle memory back that way instead. I've already played through the game twice (two separate characters rather than game and NG+). Getting enough time to play another full playthrough (whether NG+ or not) might be difficult, and if anything going through NG+ would mean the DLC would be the NG+ version too.

Would rather do another playthrough of Baldurs Gate 3 instead if I had that time available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I just checked on steam and was shocked to see that I've played this game for 300 hours. I agree the main story did take too long and by the end I was getting tired of trying to follow it. But the world itself was just so good I started a second playthrough and kept going back to explore another cave or throw a sign down for coop. I still hop on and do that from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

From Software should have withheld about a quarter of the main game for DLC, kill two birds with one stone - main game wouldn't have outstayed its welcome (as a lot of players on thread felt) and have content available for quick DLC release (2 years is too long to wait). Elden Ring release just simply had too much elden ring!

I can't really get behind taking parts of the game away to lock behind a pay wall, I really don't feel like that benefits the players in any way.

I'd far rather the content is optional, like large parts of Elden Ring are. The DLC will arrive when it arrives🤷‍♂️

The game is designed nearly from the ground up to be played through multiple times, if you have to see everything in one run, which I was doing for most of my first playthrough, id guess that's going to lead to feeling jaded as someone already mentioned. I didn't know I was going to go through it a few times the first run but on the subsequent runs I went to places I hadn't been before, most of those were further on because I did explore Limgrave and Caelid EXTENSIVELY🤣

I get no player owes a game a second playthrough, especially considering it is a time consuming game, but in the case of Elden Ring I feel From really want to encourage you to playthough more than once hence the myriad of content. With that mindset you don't have to get obsessed with exploring every nook and cranny, can say I'll get that next run maybe.

Elden Ring, imo, is one of the finest modern examples of you don't need micro transactions, tons of DLC/updates to make the game feel finished, or be massively multiplayer to be successful, it should be praised for its generous content with no strings attached when the norm these days is the stuff I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

I wouldn't see it as paywall locked content in the same context as some other times this has occurred. There was simply too much in the game and it just felt stretched out and a chore to get to the end. So much so it is the first FS game I got jaded with and haven't finished. Doubt I will get the DLC as a result. I was discussing it with my son who has finished it a couple of times that it would have been great if they offered the retained content as free DLC 1 year after release to reward fans for their largest sales numbers game (keep interest alive and probably spark new sales), though this probably could be dangerous precedent. TL:Dr, the game has too much and is too long! Elden Ring, imo, is one of the finest example of the flaws of open world games in relation to scale of game and retaining interest. My OCD dont allow an unexplored nook or cranny.😃

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I think I've hit a bit of a difficulty wall. As with all these type of games I enjoy them for their level design and the joy of clearing an area but not necessarily the bosses. I usually just summon in help and move on to the next area.

This time though I feel like I could probably do with some advice with regards to my build.

I was going for a magic based character but feel my damage output is lacking.

Level 81

Vigor 17

Mind 23

Endurance 14

Strength 14

Dex 12

Intelligence 28

Faith 48

Arcane 13

Weapons

Quality Broadsword 16

Sword of night and flame 6

Demi human queens staff 7

Finger seal 17

Haima glintstone crown

Astrologer robe

Astrologer gloves

Astrologer trousers.

Any and all input appreciated.

The first thing that pops out is that you have points in both Faith & Intelligence, and you use both a seal and a staff. I'd be inclined to go with one or the other and maximise your damage output from it. The difference between Faith and Intelligence is similar to the difference between Strength and Dexterity; you're always stronger picking one and focusing on weapons (or spells/sorceries) that scale with that rather than trying to level up both, particularly as it will also mean you're using your upgrade materials better as you're not levelling up both a staff and a seal.

Likewise, your equipment (the astrologer's set) works well for an Int build, but considering you have a lot more points in Faith you'd do more damage with Faith-based equipment.

I'd be inclined to re-spec and either focus on a Strength/Faith build, or a Dexterity/Intelligence build for the next while, depending on whether you prefer the spells or the sorceries. Maybe taking points out of Intelligence to get Faith up towards 60 and maybe bumping up Strength, or considering you already have the Astrologer's set, take off Faith and get Int up to 60 and get your Dex up too (you could probably drop Arcane by a few points too unless you're going for a bleed build). You might have to lose the Sword of Night & Flame for a while until you have some upgrade points to spare, from looking online it's a weapon that kind of scales with everything (STR/DEX/FAI/INT) so might be better left until later.

Great thanks for the advice!

No problem. Magic builds are tough (especially as it tends to be best to level up Mind more than Vigor so you can get off more spells), but if you can find weapons which scale well with either your Faith or Intelligence you'll still be able to do decent physical damage as well as magic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A few points in Vigor never hurts either, 17 seems a bit low to me and will affect your survivability.

By the end of the game you will want up to 60 points in vigor, maybe a little less given a magic build but yeah I'd efinitely put a few points in vigor

• Advertisement

So I had a bit of work to do before I could rebirth as I hadn't explored the academy at all and had to kill Renalla.

I've done that now but am a little confused.

I'm at the point of relocating my runes but I only seem to be able to put them back to where they already are if that makes sense?

So i have to put Vigor back to 19 Mind to 23 etc.

Which defeats the purpose.

What am i missing?

https://youtu.be/OqHX6hcFAvM?si=S0D9wRmtdG1BAFgZ

The numbers are only showing red because the level of that stat is below what you had it before resetting.

So say your Vigor was 19, and then resetting your stats drops it down to 9. It'll stay red from 9-18, then white when you put it back to 19, then the number should go blue from level 20 onwards.

It's to remind you of what level each of your stats was at, so you can see when respeccing what stats you're now putting fewer levels in (which will show as red), what stats you're keeping the same (white), and which stats you're increasing (blue).

Once you've assigned all your runes/levels again, you should be able to press accept and they'll then all turn white as that's then your new stats.

So I reached Volcano Manor after clearing all/most of Limgrave, Weeping, Liurnia and Caelid. I have access to Altus too.

I got a bit fatigued from playing it and stopped. Am I close to the end? My character is level 102 or something.

Hard to know as volcano manor I think is optional. The game does have a lot of false endings as well. It took me 150 hours to beat so I kind of think you have a lot more to go.

Ok thanks. Great game but might be a tad too long 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Finished it yesterday, went for the main ending, playing on xbox, it was a pain that I could not easily back up my save and get the other endings so I could platinum the game, 120 hours put in, felt the game dragged towards the end,

you are nearly half way at this point, i just hit this area last night and tonight I am hoping to get through a good bit of it :)

I'm in Lenydell outskirts now, I decided to ignore VM and press forward.

I'm not that motivated to play it anymore though. I feel a bit burned out.

• Advertisement

I think I'll chip away at it, making it to each site of grace every week or so. I'll slowly get there.

But yeah, definitely a long one.

Advertisement