Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I'll be locking myself in a room with a few beers and munchies come June 21st😁

I should re-emerge around the 4th or 5th.

I won't post anything directly for those who don't want any spoilers but some more information on a reddit post below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/s/qztQSMJuGc

Post edited by EoinHef on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You'll be a few weeks early at that. It's out on June 21st, not 1st.

Might book a day or two off work myself....

Typo, fixed now.

Really looking forward to it, got 3 characters all in different stages of the game so hopefully can play launch day as it might depend on where the entrance to the DLC is.

Spoilers for where the entrance is (revealed in an IGN interview with Miyazaki):

Mohg's palace, as per the start of the trailer. You touch Miquella's cocoon to get into the new area of the DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's been a while since I played it but that entrance feels fairly far into the game, definite late game content.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh don't worry, sounds like late game content for sure! https://www.eurogamer.net/elden-ring-shadow-of-the-erdtree-is-fromsoftwares-largest-expansion-ever

"We wanted to provide these challenging encounters and these menacing threats, and in order to do that, we wanted to give the player a lot of freedom of approach," he said. "We wanted them to feel free in how they choose and when they choose to approach and tackle these hardships."

Miyazaki specifically mentioned the infamous Malenia boss fight - an extremely tough, yet optional battle. "So players who look for that sort of challenge in our games will find a challenge on equal footing in the DLC as well," he said.

Also sounds like they've done some work bridging the gap between the field stuff and the dungeons in terms of design, which sounds very intriguing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be using my end game character for this. I just hope rivers of blood hasn't been nerfed to **** while I was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

Right then, I’m going to need to try and at least do a new game plus in the summer. Haven’t played it since I finished it when it came out, would be absolutely nowhere near prepared for that challenge right now!

Same! Was so much fun using a blood build going into late game.

Does anyone know if PS5 framrate version was fixed? I know a lot of people didn't mind it but i found such a difference between PS5 and PS4 that i played the old gen version instead. Would love to play the new gen for the dlc but only if it's as smooth as ps4.

It's definitely late game area, and if I remember right it's pretty much an optional area too. Then again it's probably far easier to get to and access than if the entrance was only available after defeating Malenia.

It'll definitely be a challenge though. Even just looking at clips of some of the enemies/bosses in the trailer, they look gloriously insane and difficult. Might do a NG+ on my second character just to get back into the swing of things properly, then switch back to my main character for the DLC rather than playing the NG+ version of the DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually, I'm guessing From never fixed the PC shader compilation issues?

Haven't seen any issue with the PS5 framerate in performance mode, quality mode has always been a bit iffy for me.

Since they seperated the balancing into PvP and PvE I don't think there has been too many big nerfs for PvE. That must have been some job, great that they did it though.

Post edited by EoinHef on

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

I'll have to get my spell sword further on and my ng+ fella a bit further up the road too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I played ps5 version last year about March to June and unfortunately there was noticeable frame drops at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

I just finished the Elden ring on ps5 (about 160 hours) and had no real issues at all with framerate. I was using the performance option and have a VRR TV if that makes a difference.

Dogs

Likely means the DLC will scale to whatever level you're at, so it won't matter if you're Lvl100 or Lvl200+ on your first character.

I wonder if your level say 60 will it be viable to do the DLC before finishing the main game. As in is it a totally separate levelling system.

Well for the average player, I get there's people that do these things on RL1😁

• Advertisement

I think considering where the access to the DLC is, you'll be expected to be at least maybe Lvl80 or so. I assume though that if the difficulty scales for higher levels, it probably scales downwards to some degree too, unless they have a minimum baseline that they don't go below.

I'd say the difficulty scaling probably relates more to amount of damage done by enemies and their HP, to scale to your HP and attack power. So even if you're underlevelled, so long as you're not taking too much damage it'll just be a case of taking longer to kill enemies.

I remember going to Ariaendel early in DS3 and was immediately getting wrecked!!

Guess with the DLC entrance being so easily missable it makes sense players would be higher level

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

According to Fextralife it's similar to having to defeat bosses to get their memories that let you level your attack power etc.

Saw this and reminded me of my first couple of sessions with the game on launch, very similar to others but still damn mental. Oh a knight on a horse, bet i can take him... RUN AWAY ... Oh a lake with low level enemies, easy... WHERE DID THAT DRAGON COME FROM??!! RUN AWAY..... Oh a chest.... Great I've been warped to a deadly cave RUN AWAY.... Finally, made it out of the cave.. Why is the sky red??. Checks map... WHERE THE **** AM I???!!

I cannot wait to see what the dlc has in store for us.

The first few days of a From game are the best. Everybody is just trying to figure it out, the noobies/future From perverts are bitching it's too hard and nobody has a decent walkthrough.

Demon's Souls was wild. Everything seemed to be communicated through wikis and forums and I got into it late enough. Even trying to find that game was an ordeal as Sony vastly underestimated the demand for the English language Asian release.

I have been playing through The Convergence mod on PC the last week.

AddsAdd loads of new starting classes, weapons, spells and effects into the game. It also overhauls many of the game areas and alters progression and enemy levelling so they feel fresh.

It is in Alpha so the balancing feels off in some areas, for instance Stormveil is now one of the harder areas rather than an early game dungeon amd halfway through the enemies seem to jump in difficulty

Some of the area reworks are a bit rough in the sense that the AI has a hard time with pathing.

But overall have to say I'm enjoying it. It's tough at the start but once you level up a bit it's more enjoyable.

Just passed the capital last night and heading for the mountain tops now so should get the playthrough done in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Bought this when it came out and played maybe 30 mins will have to start it properly

Can't for the life of me beat Maliketh in The Convergence mod playthrough, I've beat this guy many times in vanilla so not sure if his timings have changed or ive jus got worse at the game🤣

Closest I've got is he has about 5% health second phase .

Evey other major boss pre erdtree burning is done except for him and Malenia. Haven't really tried her yet though.

Is been really nice having to figure stuff out again though, there's no wiki or anything for the mod yet so can't even look up stuff online.

An example being the imbued stone sword keys, all moved from vanilla locations and much more useful in the mod than in vanilla to my surprise when I used one after finding it randomly.

Found 3 of the 4 so far, no idea where the fourth is so still on the hunt for it and have to see where it brings me, I've revisited 4 major dungeons so far on the hunt but no joy on the last one.

Sme of the custom bosses have been a real challenge too, I've found plenty so far, not sure what to expect post erdtree burning either, might be more of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Cordell

I hope this helps: using mods you are messing with one of the finest and most carefully balanced game ever made, so you fully deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Love the game and have no interest in overhaul mods, but ‘carefully balanced’ Elden Ring most certainly is not 😅

Advertisement