Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Did it ever make sense to move from an old combustion car to a new EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

interesting maths to compare a new EV with a 22 year old car and use depreciation to compare costs.

Fuelling is certainly not cheap or convenient. My car is full every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don't think anyone would argue a brand new any car makes sense against a fully depreciated old car that someone is happy to service themselves financially, did someone say it did? You argument isn't against evs it's against new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Individual examples are a bad way to make general statements.

Car prices and depreciation is all over the place for the last year or two for both EV and ICE. Admittedly EV more so, since there is a price war happening so new prices have dropped and affected resale value but thats a short term thing as they wont and cant keep dropping prices (the prices had been inflated after Covid so the market is correcting)… but manufacturers have to stay profitable so the price drops wont continue and depreciation will stabilise.

The high depreciation stories depend on when you bought rather than being an EV vs ICE or technology thing. If it was after Covid and you paid the inflated price then there is some pain. Prior to that there were plenty of stories of second hand cars going up in value (EV and ICE)…. so its a moving target depending on what data you look at.

My own EV, which I bought during Covid, before prices went crazy, has depreciated about 50% after 3.5yrs…. perfectly normal. As I said, individual examples arent good for general statements.

In terms of the fuel savings calculations you have done, these would be the general savings you'd get on the fuel, for say, 20k km's…

20k km's @ €1.78/ltr @ 7.8L/100km, which gives €2777

Conservative value for the EV would be 20kWh/100km @ 20c/kWh which gives €800

So, ballpark saving on fuel of 2k per year for 20k km's driven. Thats a decent saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭josip

Gs does all his own servicing, which most of us can't do, so his logic doesn't apply to us. His servicing costs would probably increase if he switched to EV unlike us.

His servicing costs would probably increase if he switched to EV unlike us

Why would it?

There are no EV consumables to service. Its just normal wear and tear items like cabin filter, tyres, wipers and suspension, if required, which he can continue to do on EV without any additional knowledge required.

His servicing costs should go down with EV since he wont have to buy/change oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ICE servicing would include more than just oil. Oil filter, sump washer, air filter(s), spark plugs if petrol. And that's just standard service items.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So your maths is against new cars. Not just EV’s. Thats fine. You want to keep your old car on the road. That’s fine.

Just for him since he does his own servicing. That's not open to all. Only for a vanishingly small percentage. Also would call into question his 3.4l/100km for the S40. Published consumption for that car is 7.7l/100km combined. That's when new. Goes as high as 11 for urban.

And even at that, quoting €20 for a timing belt! A gates belt and pump is €130 online. I’m sure he s it using Ali express timing belts so I’d say he’s playing with the figures there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I don't really get the premise of this thread. One could easily replace the word "EV" for "car" and nearly all the same arguments would apply. It almost never makes sense to switch to a brand new car, as you are hit with the full depreciation and nearly always need finance and the associated costs that go with it regardless of the rate of finance. It just seems like another angle of attacking EVs.

"Because, it is easy, quick, convenient, cost effective"

I find it far more convenient to plug my car in on my driveway every 4 or 5 days than to go to a fuel station and pump petrol/diesel into the car. At least I know my pump is clean, whereas i'm sure at least one person in the dozens before me holding the petrol/diesel pump had either just been picking their nose, or scratching their nuts before they got out to fill up.

"compared to the €17.80 per day in cost to change"

The additional cost of depreciation only happens when you switch to a newer, more expensive car. Note I say "car", because it applies to any car (with few exceptions) regardless of fuel type it takes. You must have been talking about post #75 in this thread on the KONA comparison.

Well, if you look again, you will see that the price difference between a new petrol or electric version, the difference is tiny. The petrol version is €31,950 vs €32,797 for the EV. The EV is also a higher spec and while the petrol version has 3k klms on the clock, the EV has 17klms, so has only delivery miles on it. Maybe it's a facelift thing, or something like that, as the EV look a little different, but it's the same make/model with different drive train and I know what I would rather be in if I had to drive a KONA. It's hard to find like for like examples, as there are few models that share EV and ICE drivetrains. I find comparable cars to be now similar in EV/ICE such as the Nissan Juke and Leaf.

As I have already said above your post, making this and EV depreciation thread is pointless, because the same argument can be had for petrol and diesel cars. If you change out your old banger for a newer car, it will cost you.

"At the current € 1.78 per Ltr of Unleaded, If I subtract my insurance and the tax on my 2002 Octavia RS 1.8t (note I am picking the thirstiest car I have to hand) I'm left with €5,750 which is 3,230 Ltrs of unleaded. at 7.8 Ltrs per 100km which is the combined fuel consumption that is a whopping 41,410 Km's of petrol."

Better still. Let's not assume you would be switching to an EV for your example. Let's say you switch to a new Octavia RS. The cheapest RS is €48k. The oldest RS I could find was a 2008 Diesel for under €3k. So, you sell yours for €3k and you are left with €45k to pay for the new car. The best rate with AIB for a car loan is at 8.95% with monthly payments over 5 years being €1,007. You will get better MPG for sure, but that's a lot of tax and fuel. Too much? I agree.

Let's say you buy a 3 year old one. Cheapest Octavia VRS is €37k 2ltr diesel with over 100k klms on the clock. Sell your for €3k and you owe €34k. That's €761 per month, with cost of credit being over €7k.

"Again, the sums, they just do not add up. The EV makes no sense."

We could do this with any upgrade, petrol, diesel, or EV….take your pick. If you want a new car which is not a class, or brand/marque change from your current car, you will pay more. End of. Instead of saying the EV makes no sense, or the sums don't add up, you may want to reframe the argument.

"I do all my own servicing, costs are therefore minimal, a timing belt is €20, Oil is cheap, Filters are a few Euro, 2 clutches since 1999, one flywheel, one EGR, 0 DPF's 0 CATS."

Most people can't or won't do all their own servicing and very few can tackle a timing belt. You are in a minority there and hats off to you for doing it yourself. I used to do all the basic servicing on my ICE cars…oil, filters, consumables. Changed out several CATs, break pads/discs, batteries, alternators, cluster gauges. Hardwired dual dash cams. A few other bits and pieces that most people don't do. It does not add to the argument here because you have to value your own time and expertise too. That has a value.

"I can not be convinced of the financial benefit, it is just not there as far as I can see, want to save money on motoring, just buy an older car, you could save thousands a year."

There you have it. You have left out "EV" and replaced it with "older car" and it makes more financial sense. However, a car is not just an A to B. For most people, it's an emotional purchase. For some, it's about going from a micro-car to an SUV. For others, it's getting a newer plate. And for a few, it's just about not worrying if their timing belt is about to fly off and destroy the engine, leaving them late for work that day. We all have our reasons and thank the lord some people buy new cars, so others can buy used cars later at a much cheaper price, be they ICE or EV.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Now factor in the monthly cost of paying back the loan to buy the EV.

Still making savings with the new EV vs the old car?

But no one is claiming that a new €50k EV makes financial sense when compared with keeping your existing old car which has little or no depreciation left. Fuel savings will never make up for €20-30k in depreciation of a new car over its first 3yrs.

Thats not an EV thing, thats old vs new, regardless of whether its ICE or EV.

The only comparison that should really be made is if you are upgrading to a new (or secondhand) car anyway and you compare two cars in the same segment for similar money.

e.g. You want to buy a crossover and you are comparing a Tiguan to an ID.4 or for saloon a Model 3 to a Corolla etc

I believe the old car was never new and popped into existence cost free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

this has been explained twice now, a few of you seem to be arguing against something that was never claimed

In a shock development a new car costs more than an old car.

Can’t believe you still have to type the same stuff for the same poster!

If you drive the EV for enough klms and keep it long enough, then yes, the saving will be made with the EV. But that's not really your argument.

Your argument applies to any newer car in the same category/brand/marque, or am I missing some other point you are trying to make which applies only to EVs and not Petrol/Diesel cars?

Stay Free

If you drive the EV for enough klms and keep it long enough, then yes, the saving will be made with the EV. But that's not really your argument.

But then it'll be an old car and cost nothing. Apparently.

Something that costs nothing can only appreciate 😁

Stay Free

So the title of the thread is correct then.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A new car, no matter what fuel will cost more than an old car. Even when you take into consideration fixes etc unless the old car blows up and then you have to buy a new car

The cheapest way to keep a car, is buy one and then keep driving it till it falls off the road. That doesn't matter what type of fuel it uses

Correct only in the sense that shít attracts flies and sometimes we need to hose it down the drain.

It's a stupid question, as it focuses on EVs only when the very same argument you are making applies to any newer car.

The real question should be whether it makes sense to change to a newer EV if buying a new car anyway. Often the answer is yes. Sometimes the answer is no. Debate open.

Stay Free

TCO, very easily done.

But a lot of people don't do it.

Like someone on another thread telling me they do big mileage so they need a diesel, 1300km per week. Which is less than 200km per day. If I tracked I probably do close to that in a 30-40kWh electric car.

It'd probably be closer to 250 a day assuming they don't do big mileage at the weekend. Still doable, but you might need something bigger than 40kWh.

I was making the point I have a "small" battery car and do similar no issue

Most cars now will come with 50kWh as a start and bigger is a lot more common, 7 years ago when I first bought electric it would have been hard, not now a days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That's because it's dogma. They aren't really having a discussion.

What's more they are just on repeat across many threads. It's white noise making it a chore to post. It's detrimental to boards itself.

Fair example:

I have personal experience of similar, as I am sure many on here do. I'm just changing out the car.

2004 Nissan Almera is on its last legs. It's costing about a grand in maintenance per year and will need work done for the next NCT if the engine/gearbox make it that far. I'm doing 20k klms per year, with a 100km return commute. For arguments sake, we will ignore the fact that it cost money to buy the Almera, which if adjusted for inflation, was probably more than the cost of the used Leaf example below. We will assume a Loan for the Leaf, even though most wouldn't be taking a loan, but let's just have fun with it. Assumed ownership period is 10 years for both cars for some level of fairness. All figures are calculated over 1 year and the full 10 years.

Annual cost of old car (2004 Nissan Almera 1.5 Petrol):

Cost of car = €0

Repair Maintenance = €1,000 = €10,000

Tyres and wipers = €600 = €6,000

Service = €300 = €3,000

Tax = €413 = €4,130

Fuel = 1L = 12km. 20,000/12 = 1,666L. @€1.73/L that's €2,880 = €28,800

Total = ~€5,200 per year. = €52,000 over 10 years

Annual cost of newer, similar car in EV format (2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh):

Cost of car = €10,000

Monthly repayment = €195 per month over 5 years (€2,340 per year, or €11,660 over the 5 years)

Repair Maintenance = €200 = €2,000 (based on personal experience, my repairs in 7 years were less than €500)

Tyres and wipers = €600 = €6,000

Service = €50 = €500 (based on experience. No service ever needed aside from brake fluid flush, but fair to add 500)

Tax = €120 = €1,200

Fuel = 1kWh = 6.5km. 20,000/6.5 = 3,075kWh. @€0.15/kWh that's €460 = €4,600 (based on my own expensive night rate and ignoring solar charging)

Total = ~€2,640 per year. = €26,400 over 10 years

Is the title of the thread correct? Maybe. Maybe I missed something, but I have tried to be very fair and based this off my own very average experience, even adding costs I know shouldn't have been added to the EV.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's many reasons to change car many not financial at all. The thread title does not exclude them.

Also not everyone buys a new car to replace an older one. They might buy a newer older car. After the worst of the depreciation has passed.

They buy it to get any number of newer features. I really like not having to go to a petrol station that often.

Advertisement