Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Siochana Recruitment 2024

Options

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RarePhilosophy

I’d take a guess and say that the Gardai with the blue vest (old vests) are in the force longer. I don’t think they issued blue ones since Covid started. Open to correction on this. Won’t have anything to do with Rank.

Not to be consfused with the public order unit or armed response unit who have completely different uniforms and different focuses. However most will still be of Garda rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anonymous1999

Does anyone have any idea when the first batch will have the fitness tests roughly? Is there a stage in between the interview and fitness or if you pass the interview could you be called in for the fitness test in a matter of weeks?

I have my interview in two and a bit weeks.

I had around 70-80days between inteview and fitness test.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

I do find it a little mad that they want people to join as they are a shortage yet what I'm reading about delays etc.....is just mad. There's a shortage and you have people wanting to join. Is it that they haven't the man power to get the process done quicker or is there still pull from other Garda to get people in?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Anonymous4321

public sector for you. Could be an array of things. Budget, resource plans etc.

i want to join the psni and their last campaign was in 2021 and only this month have the first set of people gone to the police college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

True I guess it's hard to get through all of it they only have so much time and people. I figured with the lack of Garda, the good response and the fact they wanted older people with life experiences to join that they would hurry it on. How can say for example people in jobs wait around for a year or two and then get an offer especially those who are over 45 and by the time you wait for clearance and qualify if you do you'd be 47/48 maybe.

I think alot will pull out at this stage if it drags on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brainstoburn

Sorry probably posted in wrong place ,I contacted garda recruitment yesterday and they said everyone on the order of merit will be called for interview,obviously it could take a while to be called but better than nothing ,just taught I'd let people know

good info. And this is the right place for anything related to this campaign👍

No worries at all I've been following the page and gotten some good info,best of luck to everyone

I find it strange why they aren’t filling the intakes. As the government is under so much pressure to get a 1000 a year. They would obviously fill them if it was easy. From the commissioners letter there is still 200+ people from the 2022 campaign and 800+ from the 2023 campaign. I’d bet a majority of these are waiting on vetting.

Vetting must be more complex or dependant on external parties than we think, surely.

• Advertisement

you also need to think about the size of Templemore its self too and the capacity of it. It will only be possible for a certain number of candidates to go to Templemore each year due to space availability.

And personally i think they are moving things fairly quickly, getting the first 208 to interview stage shortly after the online exams. Its also down to your merit number and those with lower ones will undoubtedly get in before those with higher ones, and rightly so.

Last year they only filled 160/250 max capacity per intake. Obviously they are trying their best to fill it.

Edit: Max was 174, lowest was 109

Post edited by RarePhilosophy on

Surely there will be a big intake this year and next ,I read that cork city is loosing three officers a week since the start of Jan due to different reasons ,also I think with the lack of numbers in navy they could do with more on the coasts one think given the significant amount of drugs coming into the country

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Murphy2024

why do so many people seem to get caught up with vetting? Surely it can’t take them that long to do it. I’ve heard if you have family living abroad it can be a nightmare but I’m assuming there can’t be too many people in that boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 psb1

Just to reiterate they will be interviewing everyone who passed Stage 1. I called PAS today also. I have my interview in 12 days time which is not too long in which to prepare. Fingers crossed Ill be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alanmoore123

Hi Guys, I applied for the Garda 2024 Recruitment, but I was unsuccessful at stage 1.

The message I received from Publicjobs with my score, as follows

Questionnaire Qualifying Score: 35

Your Score 42

Verbal Reasoning Qualifying Score 35

Your Score: 42

Numerical Reasoning Qualifying Score 34:

Your Score 32.

I would like to know what would be the highest score obtainable?

Thanks

what do you mean highest score obtainable?

like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alanmoore123

Yes. Jesus after looking at that, I feel embarrassed for even applying for the Garda Trainee.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 racheldowney2

Best of luck with the interview! I’ll be waiting awhile to do mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Confitzy

Did you receive an email with the competencies on it? I seen on this forum somewhere that they ask questions on them and to have a few examples of each.

These are the ones from last year. Just double check yours are the same.

Core Competencies for An Garda Síochana

The core competencies for new applicants to An Garda Síochana are as follows:

1. Interpersonal Skills and Service Ethos

Is motivated to serve others / the public, is helpful and engages with others in a positive and constructive way that facilitates relationship building, underpinned by respect and a sensitivity to others’ needs.  Possesses sound social skills such as sensitivity to the situation, the ability to listen and understand a range of perspectives and needs, and respond with appropriate language and actions.

2. Exercising Authority

Demonstrates the ability and willingness to take a clear and credible lead, having the self-assurance to make rapid, well-judged and potentially unpopular decisions, executing them and standing by them.

3. Conscientiousness 

Operates diligently, honourably and proactively, getting work done to the required standards and putting in effort.  Demonstrates professionalism and persistence, being motivated to do the right thing and seeing tasks through to the end, despite adversity. 

4. Resilience

The ability to cope with a demanding workload and to deal calmly and objectively with difficult situations, crises and trauma. Demonstrates a desire for continual learning and self-development, seeking and accepting feedback from others.

5. Using Information & Problem Solving

Demonstrates strong problem solving skills with an ability to effectively assimilate and evaluate information from a range of sources to support good quality decision-making and generate solutions that meet the needs of a given situation or wider objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 psb1

They are the same as last year. But dont underestimate the process. Your overall interview and what you wrote in the Written exercise is THE basis of your interview. There is minimum scoring on all 5 competencies. Should anyone fail on any of the 5 you fail the interview overall and thats the end of the road unfortunately.

That's something that worries me tbh. I'm not sure if i wrote enough in the Written exercise. There isn't exactly much time to count every sentence you wrote. Would have been a lot easier if there was a word counter with a word limit instead of a minimum amount of sentences required.

surely if you passed the online exam stage, then you have written enough on your written exercise. I know it doesn't go towards your merit number, but surely its looked at to make sure you meet the minimum standard, otherwise what would be the point in progressing you to the interview stage when it would be inevitable that you would fail. Be a massive waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jimmy.james

Did anyone waiting on there interviews get any word back from justice recruitment other than the automated email about their scanned documents?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Paddy77

My interview is not for another few months, but I’m just curious to know what documents they need prior to the interview..Thanks

Can’t remember all the documents exactly. But the one that’s catches people out is:

1. birthcert

2. original leaving cert copy , which is coloured as opposed to black and white. (You generally need to order this from the state examinations commission, it’s about 15euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dyagon84

The documents you must submit (8th April was the deadline for Batch 1) are as follows;

• Completed Declaration Form (save to Google Docs, edit/fill it in and send it back to PAS
    • Photographic identification (drivers licence, passport, etc)
    • Statement of results from the leaving certificate. If you do not have this, you must provide a receipt from examinations.ie now and provide the copy when they arrive in the post. This however is only acceptable for Batch 1, so if you do not have the Statement of Results, I suggest you go to www.examinations.ie and order a copy

• Advertisement

Is it just Leaving cert results required? What if you have gone to college. Do you need proof of college results too?

Advertisement