Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Siochana Recruitment 2024

Options
14567810»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Grayzer1979

Currently civil servant on 53k, flexitime, mon-fri, work from home 3 days per week.

Got into final stage... just physical competency/medical left.

Can take the hit for 9 months training on 300 odd a week. But do any serving members know what realistic wage I would be on after allowances and bit of overtime, as 35k is a big drop from current earnings.

My current pension carries over so I am on the improved pension terms.

Living in Dundalk. Would I get stationed local(ish) or be shipped off to Dublin?

Am I mad to consider this? Would like the thoughts of current serving members if possible please!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭RarePhilosophy

Not a serving member, just my two cents from other responses on this sub. Open to correction from any serving members

I’d say you could add 20% when you add in allowances and some overtime. So you might end up with around 42k. Again, open to correction. This depends on how much overtime you work/get.

May or may not be applicable, but if you have a Lvl. 8 degree you skip 3 points on the payscale after probation.

I also think you will get sent to Dublin, lads are getting sent a lot further than an hour from home. You might get a big town like Navan if you’re lucky. I don’t think they will station you in the Louth district, but it’s anyone’s guess. Plenty of new recruits from Cork, Donegal and all parts of the country getting shipped to Dublin for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭billyhead

Also there could be a waiting list to transfer to a more convenient location nearer to his/her home.

I hear that’s the deal for the most part. New recruits go to Dublin and could wait around 4-5 years or more to transpher back closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭billyhead

Some people would say your mad to consider going from a cushy state job to a job were your abused by the public and no longer respected and we're management doesn't have your back and any step out of line, the Ombudsman is on your case. It's really a pro con choice to make. Can you afford reduced wages and giving up your free weekends etc.

• Advertisement

From talking to other guards:

The pros of the job for me would be the job variety and the ability to help people/ a community. That’s one thing you won’t get in the civil service, where you might be in front of a screen all day everyday doing the same thing (I know the guards have paperwork but at least they get outside). The 4on 4off roster looks fairly good, especially for child care.

Plenty of cons like - being assaulted, abused, working weekends and unsocial hours, management/ excessive oversight, long shifts, court appearances ,losing friends

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Katie.qxo

Hey I completed my interview in July 2023 and got my PCT in September 2023!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Katie.qxo

Hey, just wondering did anyone as of last night get called for the July intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 psb1

Has anyone from Batch 1 received a date for their PCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnnypulling99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Confitzy

Hey, has anyone any tips for the interview prep or courses you’d recommend? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mickyjoe555

Hey guys,
    Working on this vetting form. Such a torture gathering all this info.
    Further complicated by the fact I lived in Spain for a year.
    Anyone any tips on how to get this security certificate from spanish police?
    Go raibh mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sligo98

Hello all

Has anyone been given their date for PCT.

Submitted form B last tuesday and had to fix one or two bits and was told it was accepted but have not heard anything since

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cod5

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has received a date for a PCT yet. I sent in the updated declaration form approximately two weeks ago but have heard nothing back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dermot1988

Hi all , I am currently preparing for my interview I am booked in for next week . Can anyone tell me if you have to do any checks with the camera of the laptop before the interview? And are you able to keep you're notes beside you or does the desk need to be clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Kealyboy

hi does anyone remember the two scenarios that was in the written component of the exam? When we had to write between 25-40 lines between both scenarios.
    if anyone could give a brief synopsis of both that would be great thanks.
    I just can’t remember

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jimmy.james

I haven't heard a word except for that they recieved my application of bform and other attachments I sent.

Probably won't hear until after the 24th if nobody has heard yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cod5

Hey, just wondering when you received the b form? So far I have only been asked to provide the updated declaration form which I sent after I completed the interview.

Thanks

. ......

Post edited by Jimmy.james on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jmc93

Hey, what was your order of merit? I got 797 and tryingto figure out when i should get my interview invitation!

Thanks

• Advertisement

I think you should get call in the next 6-8 weeks at the speed they have been going at thus far…

also received word that PCT dates will be given once all form bs are in and accepted so hopefully next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mihail1983

Weird, my OOM is also 797

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Murphy2024

So does anyone know if your Order of Merit can go down after the interview? For instance, if in the first batch you were number 198 going into the interview, can you then go down to say 140 based on how you performed in the interview? Or do you have the same OOM after stage 1 for the rest of the process?

Yes , I went from ~160 after stage 1 to ~100 after the interview.

Has anyone in batch one for 2024 got an email to book PCT yet? Really though we would have heard yesterday

not a word… hopefully at some stage this week

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Murphy2024

….

Post edited by Murphy2024 at

Advertisement