Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭High bike

Who's better than him,ill tell u no one what's there now are shite for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Fergal Horgan was even worse than Johnny Murphy. Probably the poorest ref at intercounty level their was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Steps Ref …Steps !!!

How many is a foul now????

Mullen - very selfish , crazy shots from crazy angles.

Puckouts - Go wide and into the space?

Ryan - Cant see why he starts.

Penalty - Eoin Murphy should have been the man ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭forchange

mossy must start big games

My god mossy has showing when it comes to big games he is at noting

Last 2 Leinster finals 2 all Ireland semie finals

2 all irelands he was taking off

He had winning of match on Saturday with a simple hand pass but failed he has no hurling skills especially on dry ground and fast ball

I said earlier in year

Deegan

Reid

Walter

Donnely

Mossy

Ryan

Buckley

Fogarty back on panel what a joke

Not good enough

I see now people starting to agree

Shine Murphy and Dunne have more to offer than Donnely Ryan hogan that started

Clifford was excellent for boro at left half back team of the week 5 out of 6 not tried once at half back

Heary the same

We need some one with experience involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭High bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Conversations 3

Fair play to Derek for dedicating 17 years to Monaghan, and they say KK don't do football

Post edited by Conversations 3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Marrooned

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jamesbond2022

4 points off bench in a national final all from play what more can he do your never bloody happy you must go asleep at night dreaming of 15 j Walsh’s starting for Kilkenny 🤣🤣🤣

You only come out of the woodwork after a defeat never anything positive to contribute here

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Which forward(s) were most responsible for Kilkenny getting back into it in the second half of the league final?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Village87

John Donnelly and Mossy. Eoin Cody lived off scraps and Cian Kenny was excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Exactly, two of the four forwards he has again written off were our best performers in the second half, in the wind and muck, against a top 3 team in a national final

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Funny game Saturday, we didn't play at all well but had the penalty been converted could have (maybe should have) won the game. Our forwards were poor again but we scored 1-17 from play. I think the one quality we have in abundance is our work rate and commitment and I think this keeps us in games and keeps us competitive. I think there are 2 areas since the start of the league we've struggled with and that's half back and the forwards. I think most of us would tend to agree that Deegan brings ant qualities to this team but centre back is not the position for him, I think had he been at full forward on Saturday he could have done a lot of damage for us. Richie Reid is not an intercounty hurler, he doesn't have the defensive instincts needed and doesn't seem to like the physical nature of the position. Blanchfield has done well again and I think he should be tried at centre back with Carey and Murphy outside him. The forwards are just lacking in a bit of quality. Phelan has been and he would have benefitted from a league campaign. The big worry is that no other forward has put their hand up for selection and we look to be going into this campaign with the same set of forwards who haven't been good enough the last 2 years. It's a pity Stephen Donnelly has been missing as he could have stepped up. The only bright spot is that our midfield has looked more settled the last couple of games with Kenny (who's been one of our best players through the league) and Molloy who has done well. With championship only 2 weeks away we probably still don't know our best team.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭forchange

mossy has not scored a goal in any match from Leinster final on that’s fact always taking off has very little skill and to slow when it really matters

Keeps getting picked

Buckley would have being playing only broken nose what a joke

Fogarty on panel what a joke

If you go back on my texts I told you how young kenny was one of our better players

It’s time now people woke up and realised we are no way near winning all Ireland

I said it before trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the sign of madness and that’s what we are doing

For the last time

Mossy

Ryan

Hogan

Donnely

Reid

Tommy Walsh what a run around he got

Are not good enough to hurl for kilkenny

How many finals is that we are after loosing in a row

If tj doesn’t get back we will be lucky to get in to top 3

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Conversations 3

"It’s time now people woke up and realised we are no way near winning all Ireland"

We were in the last 2 All Ireland finals that's literally as close as you can get if not winning.

The ignore button is a god send when you start posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jamesbond2022

mossy got a goal in the 2022 all Ireland final b Cody’s last 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BORO BILL

Bitter little man or woman, I can see you sipping your pint in the rod iron pretending to be a Kilkenny supporter but secretly hoping they get beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭me89

Pathetic post as usual, nowhere to be seen after the Limerick match.

you never have fifteen skilful hurlers on a team there always has to be one or two moleckers.Mossy is always worth his place and besides scoring the four points he also won a free which was scored and nearly got a bad pass near the end which he could have done damage with.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

And mossy's touch to control the ball was top notch too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"For the last time"

How I'd love to believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭randd1

Anyone else worried about Deegan at CB and the fact we can't seem to make the ball stick up front?

Carey, if fit, is the CB for me ahead of Deegan, Paddy just has a tendency to get suckered into things and leaves too much space in front of the FB line. I'd prefer to have him as a covering midfielder, and he's well worth a couple of scores on his day too, though really needs to look up before he delivers long ball. Kenny is starting to show promise too in midfield, I wouldn't mind seeing the two of them given time to gel together in midfield.

Up front I feel is our downfall though, we just lack the quality of winning the ball in tight corners and just whipping it over the bar on our own. I think as well a word needs to be had with Mullen and Cody, far too often the first option is the shot at goal under pressure when the pass is on for someone else, both have the potential to be match winners, but take the selfish option a little too much.

I'd also be worried about our forwards movement in general, we're a bit too static up front at times, and we see ball being lobbed up too often as a result.

A bit of movement with ball delivered in front of the man to run onto, a bit less selfishness, and a serious improvement on our first touch/striking under pressure up front, we could be a more serious threat for that AI. Easier said than done.

did any of ye think Adrian Mullens game was effected when the ref had a long chat with him after he tackled the lines man on the way off of the pitch at half time was he threatened with a red card?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JohnCougar

I have to say your post has offered no solutions or what players should replace the players that you say are not good enough. We have won the last 4 Leinster Finals, runners up to a fantastic Limerick team in 2 All Ireland finals and one league final, runners up to Clare on Saturday night after beating them in the real matches that count for the last two years . A lot of counties would love to be at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CJThurling

What is the story with TJ's injury is he back for the first round?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

I agree that we should look at other options at centre back outside of Paddy. I think Paddy is ideally suited to wing forward - he’s great stamina, good in the air and he’s fairly accurate. He would bring a leadership to the group when TJ is not there.

I would move Adrian Mullen the other way. I know Adrian didn’t give the obvious pass to Billy Ryan last Saturday for the goal (I think he was anxious to score after missing so much), but in general he has great vision, physicality and recovery pace. He would need time to develop his positioning but if John Conlon who hardly ever hurled centre back (even for his club) can become an All Star after being a forward most of his inter county career, I think Adrian is more than capable of making the same transition.

A half back line of Blanchfield, Mullen and Carey would be good in the air, have plenty of mobility and hurling to become the wall we haven’t had in quite some time.

I would keep the Molloy and Kenny combo in midfield. I think Jordan will only be the better for the experience of last Saturday as it was another step up and you can only understand where you need get to by experiencing it. Between them they cover a fierce amount of ground, are generally good decision makers on the ball and pop up for a score.

For the forwards, I would have TJ, Donnelly, Cody, Mossie, Deegan and whoever shows form between Billy Ryan, Tom Phelan, Wally, Conor Heary, Timmy Clifford, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭kksaints

We're too short on forwards with a touch of class to move Mullen out of the forwards. Corcoran or Carey look the best options atm but they should be told to sit in the backline. Our centre back is dragged out of position far too often for it not to be a tactical error by management at this stage. Similar issues apply to the full back line and rucks, there always needs to be one sitting back so that if the ball bounces out the opposition isn't clean through. If management can't see them as issues at this stage, they're not doing proper match analysis as those issues are costing us repeatedly at this stage.

I Think all mistakes made on Saturday night can be rectified with the injured players back I think we could make a big impact this year.

Murphy

Butler Lawlor Walsh

Blanch Carey Murphy

Kenny Deegan

Mullen Donnelly Ryan?

Cody Keoghan Reid.

Yes i agree with the post about Deegan out of the backs, there is a place for him but not in the backs imo. He is just to slow and poor on the ball. Management do not know what to do with him either, started forwards, midfield and centre back already this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Good team but I’d put Deegan wing forward and Molloy in midfield…. Billy drops to the bench.

• Advertisement

Billy Ryan received a ball against Clare very early in the match, he was close to goal and at an angle, he was one on one with a back and it was 100% goal chance. He ended up taking about 7/8 steps and overcarrying, that was it for me and realised to will never be the player we want him to be. Any top player would have manufactured a goal or a quality save in that situation. It is actually disrespectful to current panel members to see him get chance after chance for the last 6 years without delivering

Advertisement