Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Eoin Cody let Adam Hogan intimidate him from the start and suffered accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jonniegoogle

A game we should've won. Clare took their chances and we didn't.

We seem to be trying to hurl a decent style of hurling but again maybe revert to long ball when the pressure comes on.

Interestingly from the Clare goalies puckouts from up high, our backs seem to be still following the Clare forwards into the middle and leaving buckets of space on the wings. I thought we'd have moved on from this as teams like Limerick will have a field day later in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Comerman

The bitch is back 🙄

Mossy scored 4 points compared to Billy getting 1 in 60 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Very frustrated on the way home, missed so many easy points chances and could easily have had a couple of goals.
    Huge positives in that we always stayed in the game after a few hammer blows and could easily have won that game. Clare are a good team and could go all the way this year but I thought they weren’t great tonight and will have to improve on that performance. We let them in for a couple of soft goals and that proved to be the difference.

We made plenty of mistakes and the puck out is still a huge problem ,TJ was obviously sorely missed in every way but tonight I felt was just one of those games where we couldn’t get a break and the ball just didn’t fall for us.

On a side note, what a performance from Mossy when he came on, never lets us down and should start every game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Too many wides in the first half, we should have been well up at half time. Fair play to Clare, they got the goals at the right times. Kilkenny have to tighten up at the back. Otherwise, not dissappointed. We got a penalty we shouldn't have, Fitzgerald took too many steps for his goal. Clare the better team on the day. They are getting a reputation for trying to get fellows sent off, going down holding you head after getting a shoulder

• Advertisement

We'll get to another All Ireland but that was a shocking game all around

Couldn’t see what the penalty was for… definitely looked harsh. Johnny Murphy made a few strange calls as usual…. blew Kevin Blanchfield for challenging a high ball and made no contact with anyone?…. maybe there was something I couldn’t see.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Conversations 3

Billy Ryan must be working magic at training that's not translating to match day.

We missed TJ as a leader in a big way, no one stepped up and Drennan was anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Village87

Full back line excellent tonight, half back line very very poor, when they were ran at we were cleaned, especially down the right side. Deegan and Reid in big trouble when they are ran at

Thought Reid looked a bit weak for the Fitzgerald goal and a lot of his deliveries had snow on them , I wouldn’t mind if he was under pressure but a few times he had time to pick out a man but just skied it into the forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Comerman

Was very poor for the goal, either run McInerney off the pitch or take a yellow

Definitely, I know it’s easy to talk from the sidelines and Fitzgerald is a juggernaut but it looked like he let him in very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bamayang

Fitzgerald was the goal scorer. Reid very weak up against him.
    also frustrating to Reid just launch every ball 90 yards, for a guy who has a reputation of a ball playing defender, he rarely shows it.

Fitzgerald I mean… sorry about that👍 …and him and Murphy launching ball into forwards drove me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

as a neutral i cannot figure out how Billy Ryan is still on the Kilkenny panel never mind on the 1st 15 year in year out the last few years…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Clare scored 19/30 chances, Kilkenny scored 21/34

Clare got 9 points from frees, Kilkenny got 4

Clare had 7 different scorers, Kilkenny had 11

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bamayang

while I mostly agree, A Mullen had the easiest of hand passes to him early on and Billy was in for a goal on his favoured left hand side. Very likely a goal for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Just a couple of observations having been at the game

1st half we did very well but struggled a bit with shot selection and the wind

We had a lot of wides Mullen in particular Missed 4 shots

Ultimately it was the 1st half wides that lost us the match as we should have been well up at half time

I thought Shane murphy and cian Kenny and Mullen and Jordan Molloy were excellent

The forwards seemed to lose all shape in the 2nd half and we had no out ball when under pressure Clare had stem had to free men

J Donnelly was way better in the second half when he came deeper for the ball like he does for t town

Mossy keoghan will start for championship he was excellent I think hogan was given a run again to see can he cut it

We did miss the two Mikey’s badly for there pace around the back line Clare were able to bring 2 if not 3 all Ireland winners off the bench we don’t have that dept

Eoin Cody was pestered by hogan all day again he should have tried to rotate more and bring him out the field not sure why he took the penalty surely eoin murphy should have

Eoin Cody has to get himself into the game sooner aswell

R Reid while a lovely stylish hurler is not aggressive enough nor does he have any defensive instinct watched him twice today side step Clare players and allow them through rather than take the contact on one occasion which led to a Clare goal

J murphy was definetly favouring Clare imo and made some baffling decisions on both sides but it was great to actually see a ref pull lads for taking to many steps for once

Overall disappointed we lost but could have easily won as good as Clare were

We need absolutely everyone come championship as our panel looked a bit tread bare today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Don't really know what to make of this team. My eyes tell me we're really poor and yet with all the wides and the penalty we kind of threw it away.

The defending for all the goals was woeful. The 3rd goal in particular where it was just a route 1 puck out and we have no full back line is mental. And worse is it happened again immediately after our goal. Why is Lawlor charging out there at all and if he does then how do 5 senior intercounty defenders not recognise that someone needs to mind the house.

We are in trouble with Deegan at 6 in my opinion. I've defended him but his use of the ball tonight was as bad as its ever been. We clearly have a tactic to go with a high diagonal ball as they're all doing it but he pucked away at least 4 balls under no pressure today just hitting that ball not realising there was nobody to hit it to. He also commits into midfield too often and our full back line is very exposed.

Drennan is shocking lazy when we don't have the ball. Hogan has Codys number but Cody seems to constantly be getting involved off the ball with someone - needs to sort his **** out quickly. Blanchfield is just not it. 2 fairly ideal balls went in to him and he's not even close to getting the ball in his hand.

No idea how we made a game of it based on the first 25 minutes of the 2nd half but in fairness they never lack a bit of fight.

That penalty though. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

All in all that wasn't too bad.

No harm to see how we get on with no TJ.

We learned a few things tonight. Richie Reid can't start for the championship. We need to work on passing to the man in the better position, particularly Mullen. We learned Drennan isn't ready yet. We learned Mossy must start the big games.

We learned our never say die attitude is alive and well. We hung in there despite Clare goals at crucial times.

Full back line hurled well. Half back line poor. Cian Kenny was very good.

Not disappointed at all. Probably lost the game in the first half with all the bad wides. Lots of unforced errors too. Plenty of positives all the same and plenty of time to work on things.

I thought Cody was unlucky with the penalty getting stuck in the mud. With the benefit of hindsight, it was obviously going to happen and should have kept it off the ground.

Oh well,

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Think it was when he went up and 2 Clare players collided with each other and Clare got the free

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭davidx40

Thought Cian Kenny was our best player tonight , unfortunately though there's been no improvement in our puckouts and won't be until we have a new keeper .

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

We probably left that behind us.most frustrating thing is our shot selection I have been told by a member of the panel that training has been stopped on a number of occasions by the management to speak to cody and Mullen about the player in the best position not receiving the pass and shooting for goals from to far out.Kilkenny teams always gave the pass and we opened up teams by doing it.we hit alot of aimless stuff tonight and still if drennan (contributed very little)or tj were on the field we would probably have gotten over the line with the penalty.

Going up I thought we would be under pressure but when tj was ruled out I thought we would really struggle. It could have really gotten away from us and ended up being a bit of a hiding .but to the lads credit theyshowed the Kilkenny fight and could have pulled it of.

I'm less sure about Clare now and feel the talk of all the talent they have unearthed is a bit premature they probably had most of the Championship team out tonight bar kelly and looked average. Still think we are the only ones to stop limerick come summer

first half wides KK 9 Clare 5 second half Clare 4 wides KK 1

I don’t do character assassination’s of players. It’s very tempting but I will refrain, the one thing I will say is that I was proud the way our lads picked up the pieces staring a big defeat and came up just short. I just thought a lot of things didn’t go well for us but we battled on and we should be proud of our lads. It is up to the management team to put right what needs to be put right and we all know what needs to be done and basically i would always agree with what the posters say it’s just that I don’t like blaming individuals. For me Mossy would always be on my starting 15 he mightn’t always go well but he gives everything. The dark side is we lost four finals in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 upnorth

No sub to bring on! M Keoghan scored 0-4 from play when introduced and fouled for a pointed free.

Kilkenny boy you are really spot on with that assessment. I thought Clare were so average in the first half tonight till we handed them 1-01 before half time, we were cruising three points up and nine wides of which seven were bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭conor05

Eoin Cody got 1-5 from play off Adam Hogan in the All Ireland semi final last year when it counted.

Cody got 1-1 from play off him tonight aswel though Hogan won an amount of ball tonight to be fair to him.

If my same direct opponent scored 1-5 and 1-1 off me from play in an all Ireland semi and league final respectively in less than 12 months I’d think they had my number not the other way round.

• Advertisement

U20’s top the group and have a five week wait now to see who they have to meet in the semifinals. They are slow starters but as I said earlier when they get into the groove they are hard to stop

Advertisement