Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Very frustrating alright, I actually think he doesn't realise how much damage he could do if he used his pace and ability to its full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Marrooned

did anyone notice on Saturday night there was no target practice during the warm up , most unusual also Eoin Cody put the last free over the black spot when we were three points behind WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I think we were four down at the time?..could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Conversations 3

How does he go for Ballycallan? Is he anymore dangerous when hurling club?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭forchange

very sad

I know nothing about hurling

I see people suggesting Adrian Mullen for centre back 12 months ago I suggested that people said I mad

Told you paddy Deegan not good enough

Billy Ryan not good enough

And as for mossy when it comes to fast ball hard ground to slow no skill facts he has showing over years his record is there to see

Now we win 4 Leinster who we beat Galway

Our last 3 all irelands we were destroyed

Beaten by a Clare team at half pace

And you call that success

Was not around after Limerick match

Well anyone thinks that a good result just go and read Tom Ryan article

As he said if it was horse race Limerick team would be in the stewards room explaining themselves

And some kilkenny lads thinking it was a great result

We had Ryan Donnely mossy Reid on team

Who are just not good enough

And now everyone saying same about Deegan

Anything people giving out about now I told everyone 3 years ago

So maybe I might know something about the game

The object is to win all irelands which we are failing miserably at

Back after Leinster when the real hurling starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

Kk u19s play dublin at home next weekend in the final. They play a nice brand of hurling and theres some very good players on it. Well done to mark aylward and gortha and the rest of the lads.i know counties all looked at this competition differently but i think most of the counties participated. It was a good innovative from kilkenny so well done.Talking to a chap involved he is absolutely delighted to be part of things. Getting a really good standard of training and being in around this environment will hopefully stand to these chaps next year.

Just on the seniors i think derek will acknowledge he has a few things to rectify going into the championship but id prefer to be getting them now . The luxury is he has a few games where he can experiment in leinster. Shane murphy has being the player of the league and from being number 30 on the panel he will start the championship. Himself and tommy could battle it out for a spot but he has being a positive. Cian kenny has shown consistency which is another positive and molloy missed the bulk of the league but definitely he has something to offer

The negatives is obviously we havent settled on a center back.Whats dissapointing is we all knew we needed a players tried but when Corcoran got injured he went immediately for paddy. I think he has accepted he cant go for richie at 6 again this year but hopefully after last weekend he will accept deegan isnt the answer in this postion at county level.Paddy is club hurler of the year and will always give his all. He has put out fires on every line. Im convinced the best will be got from paddy in midfield or half foward. Mikey carey will probably be tried at 6. He wasnt far away last weekend so he will be available sunday week.

Billy drennan is another couple of years away but we need to remember its only his 2nd year on the panel and he has a good bit to go if he is going to make it.None of that winning u20 team 2 years ago have nailed a spot. Clifford also has a good bit to go. Its very hard to break into the senior team straight away. Most players will tell you it takes a few years. Cathal o neill is on the limerick panel a few years.

Luke hogan came from absolutely no where to start a league final. I definitely wouldnt be critical of this chap. He got a few points against waterford,goal against limerick but it didnt go his way last weekend. I thought they might of brought owen wall on last weekend he is direct and has a bit of pace.Another negative is billy ryan isnt improving. I know ballycallan got a few good games out of him midfield but not his fault he is after getting a huge amount of chances its hard to see how he will start the championship.

I know butler and carey were very close and probably could of played if they wanted to.Tj was a precaution. Tom phelan expected to be back around the carlow match. Wally is still a good few weeks away. Stephen donnelly who alot of us had hopes for is struggling with the hips. Unfortunately its in the family he had a cousin michael who was excellent but injury cut his career very short. Hopefully Stephen can get back on the pitch soon.

We arent a million miles away but we need to fix a few problems and need a bit of luck. Theres pressure on henry to deliver something in galway. Wexford and dublin next weekend should be a good match. Dublin have a good record the last few years against them and galway.The kk v galway match in Salthill could have a element of shadow boxing. Both teams happy with draws the last few years.It will be intresting to see if lyng is learning anything at all from playing wexford in the last round.

Looking foward to see how far this kk u20 team can go. Conditions have being woeful and it hasnt helped that offally team who are alot of peoples favorites to win silverware. Kk need to manage the break well and be fresh for a few weeks when the safety net is gone. Theres no doubt we have the easier side of draw but we hopefully have a few lads who will play senior county.They will be left with the 20s to concentrate with that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jamesbond2022

No one said you knowing about hurling

People’s issue is you come on regurgitating the same stuff about players being not good enough and never come up with alternative players to replace the ones you think aren’t good enough

You come across as a bitter auld lad who still mourns the loss of ground hurling and thinks that any changes in the game right now are bad and ‘’it was way better in my day’’ kind of attitude

Most people on here give both positives and negatives in relation to games and players

But you seem to take more pleasure in putting the boot into players and management

It comes across as your happier when Kilkenny lose tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Village87

I do not know how John Donnelly gets so much criticism off him. Any big games we won the last few years John Donnelly has proved vital, great outlet in the air, and great hands, very hard working and unselfish player, excellent when we beat Limerick in the semi final with some great turnovers. A massive player for us imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

Back in the day you`d be lucky to get away with six steps never mind ten or twelve. You wouldn`t have got away with throwing the ball at all. I think DJ took nine steps to score a goal against Wexford in 1991 and it`s still remembered by Wexford lads today. It`s so common in games now that it`s forgotten about a week later.

We`ve reached a point where if a trainer wanted to be innovative he should incorporate a bit of ground hurling in drills to unlock how teams defend now, particularly at the highest level. The possession obsession, supported by the blind eye to throwing, ridiculous rucks, constant overcarrying….I don`t think we`re in a better place.

As for short puck outs….far too much time is wasted on goalkeepers distribution. I have yet to see any statistics that support the work it out from the back strategy. You are more likely to retain possession beyond the opposition`s 65 by going long than by going short. And that is at the highest level. Then when you consider where the turnovers occur the evidence becomes even more damning. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Would agree with you 100% on this. He does so much of the unseen things like creating space for others and as you say a very unselfish player. I thought he was brilliant the last 15 minutes on Saturday night when we really needed him. I think him having to go midfield in the AI final last year was a massive loss to our forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mooz

Think we're being very harsh on Billy Ryan. He seems to be the one that gets most criticism, regardless of how well he plays. I think Billy does alot of unseen work that he doesn't get credit for. He's always on the move and tends to drag backs with him, creating space more often for the likes of Eoin Cody etc. His pace is an asset to the Kilkenny forward line because not too many possess his speed. David Fitzgerald got a goal following about 12 steps yet had Billy not being blown, he was through on goal. The most obvious chance was when Mullen wouldn't pass him the ball when he was clear through on goal. He certainly would have scored and it's not the first time this has happened where the man in the best position is not receiving the ball. I think Billy tackles well and often gets a hook or block and puts defenders under pressure with his speed. He wins more frees for the team than he is given credit for. He has a fantastic attitude and perhaps might be the reason he is getting picked by Brian Cody and Derek Lyng!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dodgysub

Will Conor Heary be available soon?

I do not agree with this myself. Goes missing in the big games constantly. TJ, Mullen and Cody are the players who draw all the attention and the likes of Billy Ryan should be excelling with less attention. If any other forward put there hand up he would be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 black and amber rock

My team for next week would be:

Murphy

Butler Lawlor Walsh

Blanchfield Deegan Murphy

Carey Kenny

Donnelly TJ Mullen

Shine Mossy Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kentu

Harry Shine won't have any hope of playing I'd imagine, Gearoid Dunne more likely to be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Murphy

Butler Lawlor Walsh

Blanchfield Corcoran Murphy

Carey Kenny

Mullen Donnelly Ryan/Deegan

Keoghan TJ Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

minor panel

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I wonder will the U19 final against Dublin be on with the minor on Saturday or the senior on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mooz

Thursday at 6.30pm in Nowlan Park

Looks like a hurling squad from Sligo or Monaghan. 18 representatives from 3 clubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

My jezus 🙄, name your alternative squad please. Who from your own (alleged) club shouldn't be there??

No criticism of anyone but it is highly dominated by 3 clubs. I know we are very strong underage, but to have 18 players from 3 clubs is very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

They're also mostly from City clubs or Castlecomer. The lack of rural representatives is unusual to an extent particularly at Minor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Populations are moving to urban areas lads. This is going to keep happening. It's a numbers game. Dicksboro in particular going to benefit massively from the housing being built in Loughmacask.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭KK36

10 of the named senior team v Clare came from just 3 clubs.

Pick the best lads no matter where they are from. There doesn't have to be a spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Once the best players are being picked I don't care if they all came from the one club but I did have an initial thought when I saw the panel about how the lack of clubs being represented is disappointing. Is it a sign of the game weakening across rural areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JohnCougar

There appears to be only 31 on that minor panel, when other counties have 34/36. The should have brought in more for development. I would have thought Dunnamaggin would have 1 or 2 players good enough considering they got to Roinn A county finals in U-15 and minor last year. Dunnamaggin beat Erins Own in the minor semi final and Erins Own have 5 on the panel?

Management have seemed to pick what they think is the best 31 which is a positive. Not carrying anyone from their own clubs. Very much unlike the u20 where management/selectors are doing there best for their own at the expense of better players on the extended panel..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The Celtic Challenge squad is there for development. Carrying lads on the panel who never play a minute or even get to tog out on game day and potentially sit on the sideline for training games benefits nobody and only ruins a lads confidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JohnCougar

You need to have more than 31 in a training panel. Unless players dropped themselves off the panel as they were not getting any game time as you said. If there are 2/3 injured or sick you cant play 15 on 15 and get the best out of your players or work on your game plan. Hopefully they always had 31 available for training.

Advertisement