Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I presume they have lads on the Celtic Challenge squad to call upon as required

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's a sign that we need more city clubs, it's not right that the already dominant city clubs at underage will continue to grow at such a rate and it's not healthy for the future of the game or the development of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Would tend to agree. There is also a fair swaythe or rural townlands that fall in under city clubs remit also.

Foresight is needed but starting new clubs is a very hard thing to do due to traditions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

If you were starting from scratch, there should be 6 city clubs but there would be huge issues in making this happen. Where would you get volunteers for a new club, what would stop youngsters from picking one of the existing clubs, what ground would they use, do you just start off at underage level. I think there was a club called Newpark Sarsfields a good few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Marrooned

there was and Mc Donaghs and St. Enda’s and Eire Og and confederation and St Mary’s Rioches, all of which could be restarted.

• Advertisement

I’ll have to pick you up on that one about the U 20 management team. Clara selector, callan trainer, Bennetsbridge selector, where’s all the representations here? The manager has four Boro players on it who have won U19 and U 17 and U21 titles the last few years so I think they are entitled to four players don’t you think do you think the Village are entitled to seven players on the minor team after one minor title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I think we can all agree that the chances of starting a new city team is highly unlikely given the lack of facilities, price of land, lack of volunteers, etc. When you look at Portlaoise a town with the same population as Kilkenny both in around the 28,000 mark. Portlaoise has one GAA club, however many of the population play for the teams surrounding Portlaoise.

The likes of Threecastles, St Martins, Clara, Bennettsbridge, Danesfort and GBC could all benefit from an expanded city dispensation (one-way, no Parish rule). It would be a one way rule though, so lads could leave the city teams to play for one of these teams but the city teams couldn't take players from these teams.

The only otherway, I see you could do it would be to base it on the primary schools.

St Canices = Dicksboro, Lake/StJohns = OLG, De la Salle = James Stephens.

The CBS = split the Boro in two.

The Project and Gael Scoil, split the Village into three.

Johnswell and the Model school, split OLG in three.

That would give you 8 teams. You would need very dedicated teachers and parents in each school with a burning ambition to start a GAA club. I don't think you'll find that.

So the last time I did a bit of population by club areas

I got about 7,700 for St Canices and St Marys split in two would give you a population of just under 3,850 for each club.

Both St Johns and St Patricks, OLG and Village respectively, had a population of about 11,000 each, split in 3 will give you total population of 3650 if the clubs were successful at drawing in all the numbers.

The problem is the school sizes are not equal at all and the big schools would dominate and clubs already associated would likely remain strong.

I think it would be better to be more focused on getting more out of places like Slieverue with a population of almost 6,000 in 2011, Thomastown are finally coming good and are back senior with a population of just over 4,000 in 2011. Piltown another low yield club at intercounty level with a population of just under 4,000 and Callan at 3,500.

I think Tullaroan with a total population of 590 in 2011 shows you don't need to have a huge population but you need a passionate population. Ballyhales success with a total population of 1660 in 2011 again shows it's not all about numbers it's what you do with them and how you motivate them to play hurling.

"The likes of Threecastles, St Martins, Clara, Bennettsbridge, Danesfort and GBC could all benefit from an expanded city dispensation (one-way, no Parish rule). It would be a one way rule though, so lads could leave the city teams to play for one of these teams but the city teams couldn't take players from these teams."

This is a good idea, and more practical as you say. if I had grown up playing in Threecastles I would probably have played with them into adulthood (I'd have been useless, there's no fixing that, but I would have stayed at it). The amount of players that get filtered out in places like the Boro is awful. It's not even necessarily the club's fault, you just can't cater to the kind of numbers you have there. Although I'm assuming the days where they would take out all the bad players at about 10 years old, and put them to one side kicking a football so that the coaches could concentrate on the good players, are now over. That was the most demoralizing thing I ever experienced in sport, and it is probably informing my views on the city clubs more than it should at this stage.

Great post though, I suppose in some ways I'm thinking alon Blackcard's lines above…if you were starting from scratch there's no way you'd organize it the way it is. But that's not reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rochelle

Remember Ye Faire City? I think it was an adult team only, possibly with string army links, might have played at junior level?

I think they wore Offaly style jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I heard 7-8 Boro Juniors got themselves transferred to Threecastles this year. I'm not sure what grade they were playing with the Boro, the Boro had 4 or 5 adult mens teams last year. I could and probably will be corrected on this, as I'm far too old to know but I think the city teams have several teams at each age group to try keep lads playing. Obviously the competitions start to run out when the lads go above 13 but the aim in the Boro anyway is to keep as many playing as possible and give them as many games as they can. Different managerial teams will obviously approach this differently and some might not adhering to what the club want but I know that's the aim and ambition of the club. I'm sure it's the same in every club in the county.

• Advertisement

jaysus how could I have forgotten ye faire city a lot of good ones hurled for them Bosco Buckley, Brendan Corcoran, Seanie Fitz, Sammy Kirwan I even think Chunkey hurled with them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Ballyhale have always been well represented on the senior team as far back as I can remember and always a few from James Stephen’s, OLG and Tullaroan.

Dicksboro don’t tend to have as many who go onto play senior. though that might change in the future.

That is the reality of hurling in Kilkenny.

You’ll prob find it is similar in other counties too, some clubs seem to be able to turn out good inter county hurlers or it’s a case if a 16 year old in his club sees TJ and Eoin Cody making it, it gives them the motivation to put in the work to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Wedger90

Re comment above about the the Minor & U19 teams, Dunnamaggin got to U15 A County Final, Minor A County Final & Roinn A League Minor Final and not a sniff of a player involved.

To my knowledge and nearly 99% sure they beat Erin's Own in County semi at Minor level.

Seems a very lobsided panel alright but i wish them luck for the season ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JohnCougar

There was a selector in there from Erins Own when the panel was selected before Christmas and he is no longer involved now for some reason. He could be with the Celtic Challenge panel now. There is no selector from Dicksboro or James Stephens so you would think they are good enough to be selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭KK36

In fairness to Dunamaggin they hadn't any stars but had a very even team. Their best lads were 17 last year so overage for intercounty minor this year and probably a good bit short of the U20 team to be fair. They'll have one (possibly two) on next year's panel.

Erin's Own's contingent is fair enough as they are one of the best teams in the county. The players they have on the panel are very good talents and their numbers are skewed a bit by the Boro chap.

Overall I'd be happy enough with the minor panel. There are no real standouts not on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

The most reasonable and sensible post in relation to this topic. Plain commonsense, while some posters just jumping to conclusions in order to have a go at voluntary management setups. You'd wonder why anybody volunteers. If selectors can't pick from St Kierans and city club players we'll be in a right state.

Post edited by Grats on

U 19’s final v Dublin tomorrow night at 6.30 I trust ye will all be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Or what? I probably will go but it's an U19 developmental league that was played by 4 counties so let's not pretend it holds any significance other than giving those players a sense of achievement. As an aside I thought it was a bit of a joke that the U19 players weren't allowed play for their clubs in the minor league on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Lads I'm looking a bit of help here. My young lad is playing on sunday at half time in the cumann na bunscoil games, so we're going down for the weekend. Where would be the best placed club to go for a bit of a puck about against a ball wall on the sunday morning with him, we're staying in the Mount Juliet hotel on the saturday night. Would teams be using them on sunday mornings? Alternatively was just going to take him a spin out to Ballyhale to look at their club. all ideas welcome for an 11 yr old hurling mad young fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Nedflanders02

There was talk at the county board meeting on Monday night that the U19 game was going to be streamed on the new app, haven't heard anything about it since though.

It was a joke. They were originally allowed play until the U-19 management decided to have training on Monday night at the same time. Erins Own and Young Irelands moved their minor game back to Sunday to allow their U-19 players play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Village87

Some lovely GAA grounds in the area. Thomastown and Inistioge are probably 2 of the most scenic venues in Kilkenny. I like to visit the areas myself when there are big games on. Ballyhale Shamrocks is also a nice ground that will be undergoing a big development soon. I do not think any of these clubs have a ball wall tho ?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

I'm not aware of any ball wall in the vicinity of Mount Juliet unfortunately but if it's a case of just getting the eye in before a match rather than visiting a club there is a relatively small two sided ball wall with astro in Dunmore, at the Kilkenny Countryside Park. It's a few minutes drive north of Kilkenny at 52.654895497403764, -7.260876671842277.

Otherwise there are a couple of old community handball alleys in Kilkenny itself, which are usually free, not exactly immaculate but fine for getting the eye in. They are located at the Water Barracks 52.654895497403764, -7.260876671842277 and on Michael Street 52.65486243681099, -7.250700399390275 which is not far from Nowlan Park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Bennettsbridge, Dicksboro and Danesfort (I think) have ball walls. A lot of visitors are very surprised at the modest facilities in Ballyhale - confirms if you have the players you don't need fancy facilities.

Bennettsbridge has a lovely ball wall and its not far from Mount Juliet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

There's feile matches on in some grounds on Sunday if your son wants to see another match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Just on Inistioge it does get busy for parking in the GAA grounds car park on a Sunday morning with walkers and massgoers. There's no ball wall in the GAA grounds and I'm not sure what condition the pitch is in even for a puck around as it was flooded for a few days last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Windgap has a fine wall ball but in the opposite direction from Mount Juliet to Kilkenny :)

Advertisement