Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Marrooned

don’t take it as a threat just a hope that people would go and give these chaps a bit of support when they are representing their county. I certainly would support them and give them all the encouragement to drive them forward in the future and who is to say one or two of them might be elevated to the U20 team if ye are doing nothing else what harm would it be and it is also free entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭KK36

Clara is very close to Nowlan Park and has lovely facilities including a ball wall and is probably your best best.

You'll be underwhelmed by The Shamrocks facilities. They have a nice pitch alright.

U19’s had a big win tonight over Dublin

KK4-21 DUB 1-17 Sean Hunt the outstanding player on view with 2-04 from play, and was gone off injured for 10 minutes on top of that.they could do worse than bring him onto the U20 panel. I think Ed. Lauhoff was called in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

Hunt and Lauhoff had a good game alright, Colm Treacy and Michéal Ahern did well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

minor v Galway Saturday @2 in the park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Very strong team

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Conversations 3

Good stuff, hopefully the forward line clicks, great to have Tom Phelan back to bring another edge to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

If we could find a solid centre back to hold the centre we won't be too far off. I really like paddy but he needs to be further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭forchange

just saw team for Sunday what a joke

Lyng should go

Told you before about team being picked on club selectors

Doyle in subs he not even the best midfielder on under 20 team

Fogarty in subs comer selector

Reid in team or other Reid wouldn’t play

Why not molloy what did he do wrong played ok

Centre back who we all know not good enough

And as for poor old mossy will play ok against Antrim from Leinster final on not good enough

Reading comments about my posts

Well for me work rate alone is not good enough alone

Talking about not naming players

I would have no problem putting in shine who has being brilliant in 2 under 29 games

Murphy who has being brillant in 2 under 20!games

young Drennan showed last day he has not ability out the field

This thing about being bitter well if people are willing to accept Kilkenny hurlers as losers I am not and when the management don’t seem to know what they are at

The best hurling match last year was shamrocks and the Boro by far the best hurling was by the Boro and even my own team done well and not one player in panel for Sunday and don’t one say the chap in midfield on under 20 from boro is not better than doyle he is so far infront of him

You can go on now and say what you like if that’s the best Kilkenny have were at nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

That team is strong for Sunday but a few things surprise me.

1. Paddy Deegan still at CB- I have great time for Paddy but against the better teams Paddy struggles at CB I think he should be played left wing forward and leave him there he causes panic and consternation for defences not so much for forwards when he's CB. Personally I would have preferred a half back line of Carey, Blanch and S Murphy.

2. Tom Walsh been dropped is a bit of a surprise when they played him corner back the whole league and I thought he was actually improving on his form from last year.

3. Surprised Jordan Molloy is on the bench if Kenny-Molloy is the partnership he wants to use they have to get to know each other. I'd be worried about Richies deliveries but he needs to pick a consistent two in midfield from here on out whoever they are.

4. Pleasantly surprised to see Tom Phelan back hopefully he gets a nice run at it.

5. Happy with the forwards but if Mullen and Cody are not passing the ball I'd pull them off and as extreme as it sounds I'd drop them for the Galway game. The two of them have to realise their playing on a team and they have to pass the ball to be effective. It not only impacts the team but also their own success rate, as their marker knows this lad is going to shoot every time so he just has to position himself for that, instead of worrying about other options like a pass and go, etc. The other issue is teammates will eventually stop making runs as they know they'll never get a pass and that just making the defenders jobs easier all around. That selfish play has to be stamped out and quick, yes the Ballyhale forwards are our best forwards but their not our only forwards and they need to be more like their uncle and cousin, Henry and TJ who are always prepared to give the ball to the man in the best position. The result of the Galway game shouldn't really matter if we are playing well for the rest of the games, it would bother these lads not to play though. I'm not saying they can't shoot but if lads are making runs (and are free) and Cody or Mullen is taking on high percentage shots from the wings under pressure they need to adapt.

6. Very surprised to see Killian Doyle back on the bench, he's been decent for the U20's but I didn't see a display that I would have thought merited a call up to the bench. I'm delighted to see Gearoid Dunne get the call up to the bench as he has been outstanding. He is not the finished article either and it'll be interesting to see how he goes at senior if he gets a run. It didn't really work out for him last year but hopefully he's bringing huge confidence from the last few U20 games.

Heard 5 were dropped after the League final. County board insisted the panel was cut from 41 to 36. Zac Bay Hammond, David Fogarty, Niall Rowe and two more were dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jamesbond2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Excellent post.I think it reflects most of our thoughts and as to how the management team can't see it , puzzles and worries me. I could understand to some degree why they played P Deegan at 6 with Butler and Carey out but they're back. And furthermore, they've dropped T Walsh when it's P Deegan should have been moved out of the backs.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Midir

Like many well-informed posters in this forum, I am watching Kilkenny hurling for years, and I think many people here are being a bit harsh on the selectors. Sure, there might be a few head-scratching decisions, and there always will be so let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

First off, Doyle might not be the flashiest midfielder on the under-20 team, but he's a workhorse. He puts in the hard graft and does the dirty work that doesn't always show up on the highlight reel. As for Fogarty, he has absolutely earned his spot on the bench through years of dedication to the sport. It's not just about his club ties.

And let's talk about Reid. He's a proven performer at the highest level. You can't just dismiss him because of his name. Molloy had his chance, and while he didn't do anything wrong, sometimes you need to shake things up to keep the team fresh.

Now, I understand the frustration with the center back position, he has tons of hurling and might surprise us all. And as for Mossy, he knows how to get the job done. He might not be the most spectacular player on the field, but he's reliable.

I know you're keen on Shine and Murphy, but let's not forget that they're still young. They've got plenty of time to make their mark. And Drennan, well, he's a work in progress. He's shown flashes of brilliance, but he's still learning the ropes.

At the end of the day, the selectors have a tough job. They've got to balance experience with youth, club politics with on-field performance. It's not an easy task, but I think they've done a decent job with the hand they've been dealt. Let's get behind the team and show them our support. Kilkenny hurling is bigger than any one player or selector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Well said, agree with you.
    And I really don’t know why anyone responds to a certain poster at this stage , it’s a waste of time .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dodgysub

Who would have thought after last years Al Ireland that we would put out almost the exact same team the following season? Derek Lyng is very very conservative and just does'nt seem to trust younger players. If you are not going to try somebody new v Antrim at home, what chances later in the year vs the Munster teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JohnCougar

Best of luck to the minors tomorrow. A good performance is important after the beatings from Galway last year. I was looking at the minor championship and teams have loads of chances to do well even if they lose 5 matches. You could lose 3 round robin games, be in and win Leinster Quarter Final, Lose Leinster Semi final, Be in and Win All Ireland Quarter Final, Semi Final and Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

This is a really good performance by Kilkenny

Work rate is a given but hurling really well. Mullen the stamp of Adrian even if you ignore the red helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JohnCougar

The minors played very well but Galway were very poor on the day and did not test our backs. A lot of these U-17 games are different each day. They will meet again in Leinster and the score line could be the opposite. This Galway panel beat Tipp in 2 challenge matches which we could not do. Great to get a good start.

• Advertisement

Jack Dollard from Glenmore. What an exceptional hurler, and that’s saying something when the rest of the team was so good as well. Good weather, very good crowd, a team worth following.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 upnorth

Stop pretending to be from Mullinavat. You’re extremely bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭The_Tank

have the season tickets changed this year - I’m pretty sure last year you got a round in Leinster free but that seams to be gone now. Am i raving?

ye that’s gone season tickets are a waste now they took away all the advantages of having one

€25 a ticket now, fuckin joke and people wonder why fans don't go to games 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

We hadn't beaten Galway at minor level for 14 years, losing 3 All Irelands and a number of beatings including a couple of controversial defeats. Got hammered last year so nice to have a win. There was about 5 points in it after 22 minutes with Galway having hit a good few wides. 2 goals and 2 points in 3 minutes settled the match. The work rate from Kilkenny was excellent, they were physically stronger and their touch and skill levels were better. I listened back to the excellent commentary on Galway Bay FM - they put Ronnie and Michael Walsh to shame. They were impressed by KK and were commenting that underage Galway were being left behind in the strength and conditioning area by teams like Kilkenny!!!

Today was enjoyable but performances at underage level can vary dramatically from day to day. Nevertheless, today was encouraging

Whatever about Mikey Walsh he says it as he sees it but Ronnie is a disaster. Not a hope of following a game with him. Young Liam Kelly was miles ahead of him but that was put a stop to because he hadn't a big hurling career

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

I would have very little faith in Michael Walsh's judgement of how a match is going. When a Kilkenny team gets 2 scores in a row, he states that "Kilkenny have taken over, all over the pitch" " I can only see one winner now". He is totally biased. By contrast, the Galway Bay FM commentators were very knowledgable about the Kilkenny players, their clubs, the colleges they played for etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement