Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The media unquestioningly accepting the whingeing of teachers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭csirl

Not strictly true. There are alternatives available to having LC Irish and the interview is only 10 mins anyway.

The other big issue is that qualifications are largely self declared. Due to GDPR there is no way of Hibernia verifying LC results.

Not that it is Hibernias job to check - afterall they are a private business offering a service. Its the Teaching Council's role to check qualifications and they dont check the LC requirements that are supposed to accompany the degree/HDip. Its a huge compliance hole in the system which is exploited by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

One of the issues that the wider public have is that their issues and delusions don't get splashed on the front pages of papers or on RTE news.

I've employed people in various sectors and one thing goes across the board, everyone complains. I do it myself about business.

But teachers get their cribs, even ridiculous ones like that guy who didn't check if his experience abroad would count towards increments; indulged too much and when other people see them reported in the papers it's a red rag to a bull.

Tbh I started the thread to point out the current weakness of the media, that they willingly regurgitate nonsense from teachers as if it was valid. I guess in a sense it doesn't help the majority of teachers either, it makes them all look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I don't know why people continue to peddle this line of "well others have it tougher".

It matters zero that some other "insert job here" is tougher, or longer hours or worse pay or whatever.

Every worker should be agitating for better conditions, and more fool them who aren't fighting for better pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭Gusser09

These teacher conferences are just a pity party. The main issue they have is that they are already very well paid when conditions such as holidays are taken into accounts. They also fail to see that other professions both public and private have their challenges such as long commutes and expensive cost of living areas. Why should they be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That's definitely true, it's the same thing every Easter, a widely reported whingefest.

In a sense I don't blame them, we all love to complain. But the media who take it all at face value are very weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

It is strictly true. LC Irish or you study the subject at some point in 3rd level. The interview duration is beside the point; 10 seconds would be adequate time to find out if someone can speak a language proficiently, never mind 10 minutes.

Every college that offers accredited degrees has an obligation to check the results upon whose merit the student has accessed the course in question. Hibernia is no different to anywhere else. GDPR or nay, Im pretty sure a legal expert could clarify how a private university goes about obtaining this info.

For public unis, obviously postgrad applications are also dealt with through the CAO, which has access to LC results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭csirl

Again, the colleges dont have access to the SEC system to verify what they receive. And as said earlier, there are other mechanisms for satisfying the Irish requirement that dont require LC results.

Back to the original question. Do you think a theology degree from a religious training college is an appropriate primary degree for someone to become a primary teacher? Does it stack up well against the education degrees issued by e.g. S.Pats( DCU)?

And the reason Im bringing this up is due to the pay issue. Many posters in this thread have alluded to teachers being under paid. I agree with them.

But, the pay has to reflect the qualifications. And unfortunately the baseline qualifications i.e. theology degree - carry a much lower salary worth than the traditional qualificatiions thus devaluing the job.

You keep making these 2 points but dont back either up with evidence. As has been pointed out to you, you cannot qualify fully as a primary school teacher without Irish.

I dont think that was the 'original question'. Regardless, Im not qualified to guage the quality of a degree or the college that is issuing it. And you certainly arent, based on your understanding of how people qualify for postgrads.

I also dont strictly agree with the contention that teachers are underpaid across the country. In areas like Dublin however, their wages, particularly newly qualified teachers, are clearly inadequate.

• Advertisement

xxxxx

Post edited by lulublue22 on

xxxxx

Post edited by lulublue22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭lmk123

Just a reality check for some here that need it, if it gets too much just watch the 14th minute. I wonder how the heartbroken petal would cope there.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Imagine some of the 'social studies' crowd ever enduring a day like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ottolwinner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

Do the percentage of humans ringing in to joe duffy complaining about ridiculous nonsense make all humans look silly?

tbh it says more about you if you aren't able to differentiate.

Personally, I'd get out of sheep. We got out of them here years ago, nothing but a penance.

yer man thinks theres no stress in a 9 to 5🤣 everyone thinks the grass is greener. I'd imagine the option was open to him if he wanted at any stage and still is if the video is anything to go by, he's young enough

it’s for people that moan about everything and don’t realise how good they have it.

😂😂 You seem to be doing a fair amount of moaning yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Teachers are exceptionally lazy. Surely some public tasks should be allotted to them during their excessive holidays like mowing lawns in public spaces or even taking care of the gardens of public with normal jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Do teachers get full pay when they are off every summer? I actually don't know that. If so, then they can either shut up and accept their situation or they are free to look.for another job. That option usually makes them quiet, as if they will never even consider it. For all their giving out, it's the same heads year after year at these conferences.

If I didn't work all summer I wouldn't get a cent from my employer so they are extremely lucky.

Teachers are paid a salary. It is spread out over 12 months, not condensed exclusively within term time. The most rudimentary of google searches would have told you that. Seems kind of….lazy that you had to ask here. Unless youre just trying to wind people up?

'Extremely lucky'? Rather than be consumed with envy and begrudgery, why not just be a teacher? With the shortage, theres never been a better time to join us educators in our ivory towers!

Sorry if I came across like that, I wasn’t trying to complain. When I see videos like that or hear of the absolute hardship some people go through to earn a few pound (if they’re lucky) it really does make me appreciate the jobs I have and makes me realise for a while at least, that my complaints are minor. Everyone likes to moan from time to time and has good reason to but others do it a hell of a lot more.

No need for the sarky smart ass reply.

So they are paid when they are not teaching. Wow. That makes them even more privileged than I realised. We all have long commutes but we don't all have rte as our platform to give out non stop about the woes of being a teacher. Yes it has tough parts like all jobs but having all summer off is such a strong sweetener plus you effectively can't be sacked, that so many of them will put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ottolwinner

still not sure who those moaners are. People saying teachers are moaning or moaners about teachers.
    At any rate posting a video of someone else’s hardships is a pointless exercise. There are many worse situations than the one you posted. If we we were to go down that route of looking for someone that we think has more to moan about it’s a bottomless pit.

There is a need when your contempt for teachers is so obvious.

'Paid when they arent teaching'? Do you not get paid when youre on holidays? What is your job?

No we dont 'all' have long commutes. Some workers do. Others dont.

It isnt teachers' fault that the media turn up at convention. Do you think theyre threatened into coming or what??

The sacking of any employee in any industry is v difficult as has been explained a couple pages back in this thread, if youd care to read it.

Lastly and for perhaps the zillionth time, if teaching is such a priviliged job, why arent you one? Why is there a recruitment and retention crisis? It is clear that teachers are underworked, overpaid, under disciplined, oversexed (probably) and coddled by the media. Why would anybody not be a teacher?

I get paid for holidays yes, but my holidays don't last all summer, Easter, mid terms etc. They have a very handy number that way.

Why would I want to become a teacher when I have a much better paid job in the private industry? What a bizzare retort.

The fact remains that if these teachers are unhappy with their lot they are entirely free to change their job, upskill maybe have a career change etc. Nobody is forcing them to stay in that position for their whole life. They would have to give up having every summer off though so that's quite a loss from their perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No need for the sarky smart ass reply.

So they are paid when they are not teaching. Wow. That makes them even more privileged than I realised.

No need for the sarky smart ass reply when you ask and answer your own question (incorrectly) and then go on to state that if so they can shut up and accept the situation or find another job? Then even when corrected, you misread the answer and go on to claim teachers are still being paid when they’re not teaching and how it makes them more privileged than you realised 🙄

I’m surprised you got a response at all tbh, but the answer is that like any other job, teachers are paid for the hours they work, and they accumulate annual leave based on the hours they work, and they are obligated to take their annual leave when the school is closed. In full-time positions they are paid 9 months salary, spread out over 12 months, which is how they are paid during the summer months, and those who aren’t in full-time positions can claim social welfare, even though they may get nothing, in order to maintain their PRSI credits:

Will I be paid over the summer months?

This depends on the type of fixed-term contract you hold. A teacher who is employed for the full school year to provide teaching for a specified number of hours during each week holds a pro-rata contract. This contract covers the period until August 31. If you hold this kind of contract, you will be paid each fortnight over the summer, as you would be during school term.

A teacher who is employed to work for more than 150 hours during the school year, but less than a full school year, is classified as a non-casual part-time teacher. If, for example, you are covering for a teacher on maternity leave, you will be paid an hourly rate based on your point on the salary scale and qualification allowances. You will not be paid over the summer.

However, 12% will be removed from the current hourly casual and non-casual rates. This represents the teachers’ statutory annual leave entitlement of 4 weeks per year. The teacher will accumulate statutory annual leave to the value of 12% of time worked. Teachers are required to take their statutory annual leave entitlement during the school closure periods, ie: Christmas, Easter, Summer.

Can I claim social welfare for the summer months?

You can claim social welfare for periods when you are unemployed but your payments may be deferred or delayed because of the percentage of holiday pay you received while working. Even if the amount of holiday pay received means that your social welfare payment will be nil, it is advisable to claim benefit regardless in order to maintain your PRSI credits over the summer months. 

https://www.asti.ie/your-employment/faqs/nonpermanentfaqs/

• Advertisement
Advertisement