Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The media unquestioningly accepting the whingeing of teachers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

In one sentence you complain about the length of the holidays, in the next you express amazement at the suggestion that you might consider being a teacher. See, youve already answered your own question there :)

Another question might be why are you here? You claim not to begrudge teachers their few perks (even though that's far from certain from your tone) but youre here criticising anyway. Which means it is simply out of spite that youre telling them to 'shut up' and accept their lot and fostering conspiracy theories that the national media are some how glorifying teachers when they have in fact done the exact opposite for decades. I just dont see the point of being so spiteful, it must be very draining.

Teachers are quite aware of their options, thank you. Theyd rather not destroy the profession and the quality of the education system so they voice a few ideas that might keep that from happening once a year, but these are, more often than not, rubbished and ridiculed (see the bulk of this thread). Is it any wonder people are leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭lmk123

Of course it’s pointless when it doesn’t suit your agenda. My point is that a bit of perspective is always a good thing and usually makes a person appreciate what they have.

Staff shortages / retention, cost of living, long commutes, etc. are issues which are present for most, if not all sectors from teaching to farming to construction to hospitality to health care to Gardai and even the church, I could keep listing others too. It’s clear that these issues are not unique to teachers so some perspective could be a good thing for habitual moaners who constantly view themselves as victims for just going through the stuff we all have to deal with.

I haven’t mentioned holidays or working hours once as others have, nor have I mentioned the rubbish teachers have to deal with from some pupils and parents as I believe you have to take the good with the bad, I also believe that in the whole there’s more good than bad in the profession. Before anyone asks I didn’t become a teacher because I simply hated school and would prefer to be outdoors anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Such a scientific analysis. Heres another: more people than not would be only too happy to be idle for 5 months a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Private industry.

Ah.That explains your theatrical defensiveness on this topic. You get every summer off, every mid term off and a permanent pensionable job. Instead of lashing out at people who see teachers as having a very handy number, look in the mirror and ask why these comments annoy you so much. You seem to be very upset at the viewpoint that a huge number of people hold that teachers have a very unique perk in that they get all summer free. Some even go painting to top.up their salary.

Nothing you say is going to change my view on that. Repeating myself again if the job has so many flaws why don't teachers look for another one that more suits their financial and personal needs. All the best.

Private industry eh? Yeah, that narrows it down :D We've got a real basis for comparison there!

Im defending my job. The lashing out was done by the person who began this thread and his/her supporters. This huge number you speak of is dwarfed by the number of people who actually do value teachers and the job they do by virtue of the status quo - conditions are getting worse for teachers, but thankfully havent denigrated to where you want them to be. You are in the minority; dont let this thread fool you into thinking otherwise.

And 'theatrical'? As an English teacher, I'll take that as a compliment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

surprise surprise, theres some seriously fcuked up folks on this thread, with serious ego problems and narcissistic tendencies, boards is a delight at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Hopefully the irony isn't lost on you there bud

• Advertisement

Tell us you're jealous without telling us you're jealous.

Go and retrain as a teacher if you think it's so handy. Otherwise educate yourself and maybe you won't make such a show of yourself on threads like these.

Thanks for the laugh though 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭lmk123

Ah seriously, I haven’t complained once about what I work at. I outlined that everybody faces the issues that teachers face and that perspective is a good thing as it can often make people release that their troubles are small in reality. I suppose it’s easier pick out one small post and make a smart remark than face reality or debate the actual points I made. There have been some ridiculous posts here from both sides. It must be draining to feel like a victim and think the whole world is against you all the time. Anyway enjoy your day bud I’m done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

That's such a ridiculously immature post. There are certain jobs that are easier than others,. For example, I work within certain areas of construction, when I'm dealing with clients or site management etc, a lot of who I deal with will have easier or more difficult jobs than others, and those that have it easier have no problem admitting it-- it wouldn't make me want to do their jobs based on that.

teaching, particularly at primary and secondary levels, cannot be compared to mainly adult centric workplaces, staff are dealing with people that have not developed a sense of self, that require significant levels of support and guidance, compared to those in adult centric workplaces. yes some adults in adult centric workplaces can be extremely difficult, especially when some of those adults have complex issues occurring, psychological issues, mental health issues, addiction problems etc etc, but these workplaces can and are radically different, and in many cases, cannot be compared….

Haven't developed a sense of self? You might want to know that a child will have developed or is in the process of developing a sense of self by about 8 years old, so that comment is nonsense. But, back to what I posted, you certainly can compare, and the fact is, certain jobs are easier or more difficult that others, the comment of "you're jealous of my job" or "why don't you switch to this or that job" is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,600 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Teaching is a tough job and a 3 hour round commute is soul destroying.

But she is not without blame, she chose where to live to be closer to her family.

Surely there is jobs in and around Limerick she can apply for, cut down on the commute and be closer to her family.

I don't see how complaining about her situation in the newspaper is going make her life better or what the point of it is really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

you clearly havent a fcuking clue what you re talking about, once again, adult centric work places are radically different than child centric, you can tell an adult ta fcuk off, you cannot do that to a child without causing significant damage to the child….

it takes humans many years to truly form that sense of self, and to develop the skills required to navigate social environments, this is assumed in adult centric environments, even though commonly is very dysfunctional, this generally isnt the case in child centric, therefore both environments are not comparable….

Cursing at someone in a debate. Classy,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Its worrying that he's a teacher, educating young adults, when he isn't smart enough to look after his own personal finances.

4 years of tax free salary and he hasn't managed to come home with sufficient funds to get a mortgage.

He's either looking for a stupid mortgage, or he pissed his 4 years of tax free earnings away.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

For those that are complaining that those working in the private sector are jealous of the T&C's of those working in the public sector…you should be, you are paying for it!

The fairest way to stop the unfairness, is to simply publish the actual amounts received by public sector workers, and that includes pensions and lump sums, plus time/days worked per year, per person. Yes teachers get ridiculous amounts of time off, but what you don't realise is so do most pubsec workers via massive amounts of sick leave.

This way the people actually paying for this can make informed career and voting decisions. Right now we just have unchallenged union propaganda that flies in the face of the real amounts paid out.

Any pubsec workers pointing to their payscale is being utterly disengenous. Actual pay is always higher, and in some cases more than double.

Post edited by purifol0 on

So basically you haven't a notion what it's like to be a teacher, hence you can't say it's easier or harder than anything else.

Yes I'm sure that's the reason 👍 I can almost taste the bitterness in that post, fair dues.

There's no point debating your points though as they're mostly nonsense.

You enjoy yours too 😄

Yes I can, best friend is a teacher, he has no problem admitting that his job is far easier than say, my job, or his wife's job, in much the same way my Postman, will tell me in good humour about how easy his job is.,we laugh at it. My original response though was really about the attitude that someone who might comment etc on a person type of work would be jealous of said work. Takes a fair bit of attitude to come up with that conclusion.

Again, YOU haven't a notion what it's like to be a teacher, therefore YOU can't say whether it's easier or harder than anything else. What your "friend" thinks is his/her opinion.

My opinion is based on what he says and what I observe. My job now is relatively easy, i don't get upset if someone says so,I already referenced my Postman,doesn't mind saying his job is relatively easy,,but say the same thing to a Teacher and straight away on the defensive.

Ask your postman if there is a retention and recruitment crisis in his profession and if his office has struggled to get staff. I'll preempt his answer: no.

Might I suggest that this implies one job may be a tad more difficult than the other?

And BTW, I dont know anything about being a postman or how easy it is. Im sure its a harder job than you think it is. But I know there is no shortage of people wanting to work in the profession. I will also say that if your friend thinks teaching is easy, he aint doing it right. So if hes your source for understanding what goes on in a school, then you still dont know anything.

• Advertisement

Perhaps people just don't want to do the job because it doesn't have the appeal or the status it once had-nothing to do with the hardship of said job. And yes I do know, coming straight from the Postman's mouth that his job is relatively easy. And again, with my friend, according to you, his view is wrong,and/or he's not good at his job- that's laughable, you just can't accept that his opinion might be valid,because he doesn't play the victim.

Advertisement