Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thats lovely, what a fabulous way to create something special to remember your mum by.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A beautiful tribute to your Mam. What a lovely thing every time you look at those lights you'll think of her with a smile.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Finally we are getting a break from the rain and it's getting brighter and warmer at times. 65 Days to the we hit the 200 days to go, year is moving quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Storm coming on Saturday for come counties 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Was just about to say that! There may be a break in the rain, but a yellow wind warning has just been issued for the entire country for Saturday. There's just no end to the bad weather at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes I was just reading about that, Storm Kathleen is on her way. We've narrowly missed the orange wind warning but that could change. It's in effect for Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo on Saturday.

What a lovely thing to do. Your mother will always be part of your Christmas, helping to light up the darkest of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Cork is one of those counties as far as I know. Supposed to be flying out of Cork airport Sat afternoon so fingers crossed 🤞

I've no data to back it up, but it feels like the last 12 months or so has been the wettest in a long time. Constant rain.

Even last June was absolutely miserable. I'm hoping this summer is alot better so I can enjoy my concerts.

It's weird though, the April of the covid year was spectacular. I remember taking naps in my back garden over lunch.

• Advertisement

I saw an article saying the atmosphere above Ireland now holds 10% more rain than it ever did before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Brilliant, those are stats we really need. 🥲

Dublin has a yellow warning for Saturday, so while it probably won't be hit as bad as the south or west (nothing new there!) I don't think it'll be beach weather either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Please tell me that article was published April 1st!!

I think once you have (unless you're a big outdoor persuits person) kids you really notice how many wet days there are. Even for Ireland it's a joke!

Post edited by Princess Calla on

Another weather warning on a matchday... at this rate we'll be playing this year's games next year.

Sick of the brutal damp grey weather. 1 or 2 sunny days in 3 or 4 months is a terrible run.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

At the start of the year I was looking at some new new walk routes I wanted to bring the dogs on (not mad hikes but a good stretch of the legs) and I've only gotten to do two. If its cold no problem but its wet its a nightmare with big wet dogs if you want to throw them in the car.

I've only gotten the washing out on the line once aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭tscul32

Yeah, I keep thinking of the nicer routes for my fella but I have to drive to them. He's a floofy collie and his coat can hold an awful lot of water.

Courtesy of our friends in the weather forum.

“For my own weather station in N.Tipp: Apr 22 - Mar 23 = 211

Apr 23 - Mar 24 = 253”

So 42 more wet days in the last 12 months compared to the year before that.

So I'm not going mad. It had been raining like hell.

253 days out of 366 having rain is incredible, that's nearly three quarters of the year being rainy days... thats utterly depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Pretty rough out tonight heavy rain with the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The wind is howling here in Cork and the rain is starting again, starting to wonder if Kathleen is arriving early. Sick of the feckin rain to be honest. Happy Friday 😀.

Got soaked at training last night and it was still chucking it down when I went to bed around midnight. Its okay here at the moment but heavy rain forecast later and a wind warning in place for later today and tomorrow... lovely!

Heading into the city centre shortly to do the viking splash tour with the kids, expect to get soaked, purely from the rain that's forecast from midday... so hard to plan any activities these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It's actually NOT raining here at the moment. Hoping we will get a few dry hours over the weekend to get out for a walk. Eldest has a soccer match at lunchtime tomorrow so would be nice for her to not be drenched.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭BK5

And the wife wonders why I won't shut up about moving to Spain - 300 days of sunshine a year love! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My sis is semi retired and they are semi living over in Spain for the winter months.

However despite her being dark skinned (by Irish standards , my dad would blend in with the locals abroad) and loving the sun, she still comes home for summer as Spain too hot.

That's what I want to do when I retire, spend the winter in warmer climates then come back home for our summer. Best of both worlds. However, unless there is a lotto win in my future, it's not going to happen! My skin is so white, it's practically blue though. I'm a factor 50, stick to the shady side of the road kinda person.

The weather is kinda eerie out there this morning. It's quite mild and no rain or wind. You never know what you're getting when there is a generic yellow warning for the entire country. I know 4 counties have orange for a while, but for the rest, it could hit anywhere at any time. Hopefully Kathleen will pass over with no harm done.

They’d fit in with the weather too

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭BK5

I'm telling ya, it's been so wintery lately you nearly would put the tree up ha ha.

Didn't end up buying anything big in the M50 Christmas shop the other day, just bought a couple of lantern type lights that we'll hang over the kitchen table. But just walking about and looking at everything with a stupid smile on my face was enough. Was on the look out for good thick cluster lights for the gutters across the front of the house and they only had bright white, it has to be warm white. They did have them in multi coloured and we were very close to buying as multi coloured are back in fashion but we said we'd have to think about it.

What do you think guys? Multi coloured cluster lights, yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭A cup of te

@BK5 well, I'm big on nostalgia and retro so it's multicoloured for me every time :-) when I think of Christmas I think of colour! I've never been keen on everything being uniform or all the one colour. Multicoloured everything for Christmas for me.

Starting to get so excited about hopefully being in my own house for the first time ever for Christmas. I got my Harvey's Bristol cream on special in Tesco a few weeks ago for my sherry trifle and I'm keeping an eye on specials on the drink in general so I have plenty in my as of yet non existent drinks cabinet for visitors ;-)

I have a feeling I am gonna go wild with my own house. Tinsel everywhere!

People are already asking me if I'm doing Christmas dinner. I mean I'll be lucky if i can afford a cooker ;-)

I'm also daydreaming about my trip to beautiful Waterford this December. No summer hols for me. Once i can afford a winterbreak I'm good! So I went mad and booked 2 nights this year back in January ;-) so looking forward to it. I love the winter and the dark and cold when we have Christmas to look forward to but once the 12 days are over with I am ready for summer usually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭A cup of te

@antimatterx we had one decent week in June last year. Just whe you mentioned concerts I thought of the one concert I was at - Pulp at St Anne's Park. It was such a fab evening weather wise and in every other way. Makes such a difference! July was a washout for my 2 weeks annual leave :-( hope it picks up for your gigs!

EdiEdit: I didn't realise this M50 Christmas shop was open all year. I may pay a visit

Advertisement